31 Days 2013: Reflection

31 days 2013 button

So what have I learned in one month of not buying anything for my house and writing about it?

SO MUCH!

The posts speak for themselves in terms of what I’ve done or made or thought about (like use a LOT of gifs in the Sunday Home Inspiration Posts, or my very first pie, or how sometimes function beats beauty – even if you’re a blogger!).

Here’s what I’ve learned:

Blogging more often makes people read your blog more often.  Common sense?  Maybe… but honestly, the month of October is one of total connection for me because there is SO much to interact with my readers on and there’s so much to learn from other bloggers taking part in this series.

I became so focused on my goal and my theme that I stopped really thinking about what to buy for my house and started just focusing on enjoying it.  The whole point of my series was to talk about how to do this, and let me tell you, I really felt it working!

Having a cleaning schedule WORKS!  I know I didn’t update you guys after I wrote a post on this, but it’s been a really helpful part of our day to day and has totally helped me not to feel so overwhelmed by housework.

Bloggers can be so supportive and amazing, and opening yourself up to real conversations with your fellow bloggy people is a total blessing.  Julia inspired a whole series for the month of October, and I’m truly thankful for that.

Taking part in this series always makes me want to blog more.  I already have posts planned for this upcoming week and I’m more excited now about what’s next for our home and this blog after taking the time to focus more on writing, observing and reading and less on being bogged down by 96 different projects or things I need around the house.

31 DAYSYeah… I learned what it REALLY means to write for a full 31 days, not just a measly 24 or whatever I did last year, and to put posts out (somewhat) on time and not write 2 or 3 in one day to get “caught up.”  I learned a lot about discipline.

I learned that not every blog post needs to have 7 pictures of what I did with watermarks and perfect lighting and editing… HAHAHA  I know what you’re thinking… My photos have never had those things!  But what I mean is that it’s ok to put out a post with 100 words and no original photos (even though your SEO checker will hate it).

My husband is a pro blogger in disguise!  PROOF!

Personal posts, deep and intimate details of my life matter to my readers.  Thank you for that.  Thank you for responding so lovingly and gently to posts that I struggled (really hard) to hit “publish” on.

I am my own worst critic.  I already knew that, but I need to be more aware of it.  I honestly have the coolest, bestest readers ever.  Mean it.

You can catch all 31 posts right here!

Ok so now what?

Now I start planning for 31 Days 2014.

HAHAHAHA Just kidding.

I’m not going to think about that for at least another 6 months!  As amazing as doing this can be, it’s also slightly traumatizing! 31 days of solid writing?  Yeesh!

But seriously, though, how many of you are going to join me next year?

Screen-Shot-2013-09-25-at-10.05.58-AM

I hope every last one of you. (Those of you who blog, anyway.)

I completely encourage you to challenge yourself, get out of your comfort zone, and commit to something that can scare the crap out of you.

Because it’s worth it.

The sense of accomplishment after this month is really so rewarding, and I wouldn’t want anyone to miss out on that.

Love you guys!

See you tomorrow for The Friday Five!!!

• Reply Lish

T, I cannot express how proud of you I am. Your 31-day challenge certainly inspired me to live simply and keep things real in my own life on a daily basis! You shared your beautiful heart with your readers, in a very honest, charming, and thought-provoking way. I’m certainly not surprised that the LO now has a following of devoted readers. You have such a natural talent for this. I can’t wait to see what you have in store for us next. Love, love love. XOXO

November 1, 2013 at 1:54 am

Oh you are just THE SWEETEST!!!! It was a rough 31 Days, but totally worth it. Knowing people actually read it (like YOU) is pretty much the best!

November 4, 2013 at 8:31 am
  • Reply Julia at Home on 129 Acres

Congratulations, Thalita. It was great to be with you throughout the series. I found myself nodding lots of times in complete agreement. I was inspired, moved and amused. Well done.

November 1, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Thanks so much Julia! I’m so glad I did it, and so glad I got to be inspired by people like you!

November 4, 2013 at 8:32 am
  • Reply Anja

Wow, kudos to you! I couldn’t do that. I tried my best to overcome my super lazy blogging summer (I guess I got around 20 posts in October), but you are really a trooper there! Ha ha, and I loved how you had your husband write one, that was genius! :-)

November 3, 2013 at 5:14 am

Oh Anja, I am SURE you could! I started out last year being about 8 posts shy of 31, but I was still proud of it and you should definitely be proud of 20!! My husband’s post was completely unplanned and came from a place of exhaustion (on my part) and a whole lotta love (on his part). He suggested it, and I would have kicked myself if I said no, so I jumped at the chance to have him be The Learner Observer for a day! haha

November 4, 2013 at 8:35 am
  • Reply Emily @ Two Purple Couches

Congrats Thalita!!! You made it to Oct 31st! I have learned a lot just from following you all this month :) I think I should push myself out of my comfort zone and try this challenge in 2014!

November 4, 2013 at 4:36 pm

You already know you’ve inspired me to put this on my DREAMS AND GOALS FOR 2014 list! I soooo loved journeying along with you this month, and I learned a lot about blogging, too, through you! (Namely that posts don’t have to be super long and involved to be high quality. In fact, it can be a breath of fresh air for the reader to take it one simple concept and perhaps one beautiful image. That’s a lesson I need to tattoo to my forehead, so I don’t forget it.)

Loved hearing all that you learned this month, and I’m excited to see the new twists and turns TLO takes as a result of these 31 days! Ow ow!

November 4, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Well it’s going on my List of goals for 2014 too, because so soon after being done, I’m going to have to make it official on a list before I “accidentally” forget to enroll again next year.

I think the lesson about posts being shorter was one I needed to learn too. I can be so wordy, and I just can’t help having so much to say sometimes… but you are right. These posts felt like breaths of fresh air for me, too! Now I have yet to write one of these short posts since October ended…. better get to thinking!

November 12, 2013 at 9:30 am
  • Reply Jonathan

Thanks for this Thalita. I’ve recently been encouraged to write more. And this post has inspired me to make a decision for 2014. I will write a blog post at least once a week in 2014.
    Keep writing and inspiring your readers.

November 7, 2013 at 7:42 am

One a week! I can’t wait for that!!! We are gonna get (at least) 52 awesomely inspiring posts :)

Thanks for the encouragement!

November 12, 2013 at 9:58 am