I'm_attending

Blog Podium: What to bring? What to wear?

In case you haven’t noticed in the DOZENS of tweets going out in the last few weeks, or the giant button in my sidebar, or the Instagram updates…

I'm_attending

Excited is not a word I would use to describe the mix of emotions I feel about going to my first (and hopefully not last) ever blogging conference.  The fact that this one is so close to home is a welcomed bonus and that it’s being run by a blogger I have grown to admire over the last few months is really some sweet icing on this bloggy  cupcake.  Jen of Rambling Renovators is kind of like my Canadian Blogger Hero.  She’s da bomb diggidy and I’m not afraid to say it.

So what happens when you’re going to a blogging conference?  Well I’m not exactly an expert – see the question marks in the title of this post?  Yeah… I’m ASKING, not TELLING!  In my imagination, I will get to connect with some really super cool people over Twitter like Alex, and Brittany, and Julie, and Casey, and Amy, and I could go on and on and on! Needless to say, I am very much looking forward to meeting these super cool ladies and many others.  So here’s what my best guesses are based on several posts from other bloggers on how to prepare for a blogging conference…

What I’m bringing:

Blog Podium Collage

1. Water – gotta keep hydrated.  We’re in for a LONG day!
  2. Mints – too obvious?  I mean, we’ll be talking to people literally ALL DAY LONG… be nice to them!
  3. Cute phone case – because it never hurts!
  4. Notebook – I’ll want to remember all the amazing things I’m going to learn that day (bring this if you’re old school like me… a fancy iPad if you’re not!)
  5. Pen – not just for us old school hand-writers!  This one is always handy!
  6. A large tote for all the goodies we will be leaving with and all the stuff we will be coming with, like the two below…
  7. A scarf – because conference rooms can be chilly!
  8. A pair of comfortable shoes – (if you’re not already wearing some) because seriously, just the thought of heels from 8am to 8pm is nothing short of daunting and painful!
  9. BUSINESS CARDS!  It’s been a hot topic on Twitter lately… we’re all either patiently waiting to start handing them out or freaking out because they haven’t arrived yet.  If you’re part of the latter, don’t worry… you’ll be ok!  (More on my own cards coming up!)

These are not pictured up there, but I am adding them in because I absolutely cannot forget these things:

1. Hand moisturizer – hands will be shaken and though many of us DIY’ers are used to the feel of sandpaper, I’d rather it not also be felt when people shake my hand!
    2. A hair elastic (or two) because it’s a long day, and a quick pony doesn’t hurt when you’re trying to take notes and such!
    3. THESE!!!  Oh em gee, people the Spin Pins are LIFE ALTERINGLY AWESOME.  Who needs a sock bun when you can just twist your hair and then twist a couple of these into it?  Oh and these puppies will hold your hair up all day long.  Believe.  I started using these when I had hair down to my butt and they were amazing.  Oh throw in some regular bobby pins, too!
    4. A phone charger.  I have a STRONG feeling my phone will die on Saturday, and missing photo ops is just not something I’m willing to do.  Look for the girl crouching down to find a plug!
    5. A little lip gloss/chapstick.  Copious amounts of talking will be happening here, so this ia MUST!

What I’m wearing:

Conference choices

You can see the full list of items by clicking the link above.  I created this collection on Polyvore with items as accurate as possible to what I actually own.

Outfit #1 consists of dark wash skinnies, a chambray shirt and black blazer accessorized with a gold necklace (maybe a pink one for some colour?) and black ankle boots.

Outfit #2 still has the dark wash skinnies and ankle boots, but this time it’ll be worn with a black, short sleeve shirt and an infinity scarf for a bit of warmth.  It’s supposed to be a nice day here on Saturday, but the weather is insane lately, so who knows.

The business cards:

This is uncharted territory in the world of Thalita, and in the world of The Learner Observer, though obviously not in the world.  I get it… people show off their cards all the time and this is really nothing new for everyone, just for me, so I hope you’ll be kind!  I designed these myself using Picmonkey and printed them using MOO.  I cannot tell you how happy I am with their customer service and the quality of the cards.  They exceeded my expectations, starting with the packaging.  You may have seen this on Instagram:

Picture 13Yeah, the packaging comes with a “yay” sicker on it.  I know… love them already!  One of my favourite parts of MOO‘s service is Printfinity.  This means you can design the front of the card as you want, and print as many different designs on the back as you want!  Can you believe that?!  AS MANY AS YOU WANT!  I originally had eleven.  Too many.  Seriously… what was I thinking?!  So I settled on seven different designs.

business card collageMy husband suggested the QR code, which I had not seriously considered until I read Lauren’s post (which is amazing, by the way) on her very own MOO business cards.  She sold me on it because it just makes perfect sense!  It’s so easy to use and anyone with a QR scanner can be taken right to the site.  The designs on the back are projects I’ve worked on in the past year, the logo currently up on the blog and a fun little set of questions, which I have seen on a lot of cards (including Lauren’s).  They don’t say “Imitation is the highest form of flattery” for nothing, right?  Oh and if you use THIS LINK you’re helping me get some more business cards thanks to MOO’s referral services.

So which outfit would you pick?  How did I do for my first business card design? And what wise words can you share with me for my first conference?

How much longer until Saturday?

• Reply Brittany @ My. Daily. Randomness.

Love the cards, and your outfit choices! If I had to choose I would pick the outfit with the chambray shirt. You can take the blazer off if you get to hot, and still look dressy enough! Can’t wait to meet you on Saturday!

September 18, 2013 at 7:10 am

Sounds like great advice!!! Thanks Brittany! So looking forward to meeting you too!

September 18, 2013 at 11:21 am
  • Reply Cheryl

Sooooo excited for you, Thalita! Enjoy every minute!

September 18, 2013 at 7:30 am

Thank you, Cheryl!! You’ll be seeing the aftermath on Sunday morning: me with bags under my eyes! haha

September 18, 2013 at 11:22 am
  • Reply Leanne

Have fun! I wish I was going!!

September 18, 2013 at 7:56 am

Thanks Leanne!!! I also wish you were coming! But there is always next time! :)

September 18, 2013 at 11:22 am
  • Reply Sandy

Love your business cards!!! Such a learning experience Blogpodium is going to be, so excited for Saturday.

September 18, 2013 at 8:10 am

Thanks, Sandy!! I can’t wait! Hopefully we will bump into one another :)

September 18, 2013 at 11:24 am
  • Reply Johanna

I LOVE your cards! And I love that, like Lauren, you went completely apesh*t when you found out about the free number of card backs haha they turned out great! :)
    Have fun at the conference :)

September 18, 2013 at 8:13 am

Thanks, girlfriend! You’re such an awesome cheerleader! HAHA seriously they shouldn’t call it printfinity and then show you examples of like 1,000 different backs! DANGER!!

September 18, 2013 at 11:25 am
  • Reply Alex

Bring it on girl! You’re going to look amazing! Looking forward to meeting you on Sat. Take the GO train!!!

September 18, 2013 at 8:40 am

Thanks!!! And you know I am so not driving through the crazy traffic, plus, I’ll probably want to pass out once the day is over! How early are we going to have to take that train?!?! :|

September 18, 2013 at 11:27 am
      • Reply Alex

Mine is about 10 mins earlier than yours at 6:45 am. Oh my word…

September 18, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Oh, that’s gonna hurt.

September 18, 2013 at 1:48 pm
  • Reply Susan

Great post! I’ll see you there :)

September 18, 2013 at 9:12 am

Thanks, Susan! Just taking in your blog at the moment, and loving it! See you in a couple of days!!

September 18, 2013 at 11:33 am
  • Reply Jennifer Flores (@ramblingreno)

Thalita! You have me *blushing* over here! Thanks so much. I hope BlogPodium lives up to your expectations ;)

Your cards look awesome! I love the designs (and MOO rocks!). Can’t wait to see them in person.

September 18, 2013 at 10:29 am

I’m pretty certain it will, Jen! Thanks for stopping by! I’m counting down the hours until Saturday already :)

September 18, 2013 at 11:50 am
  • Reply thesweetescapeblog

Great picks! It’s also my first BlogPodium. See you there!

September 18, 2013 at 11:43 am

That’s so exciting, Melissa! See you in a few days! :)

September 18, 2013 at 11:51 am
  • Reply Anonymous

Love LOVE your cards! Lovely design & the QR code is just S-M-R-T! (I may steal this idea for my next iteration of cards, lol). We printed our cards with MOO also. I’m definitely doing the Printfinity next time once the house is finished & we have prettier pics than just the construction site.
    Oh – and for the outfit, I’m with Brittany on the chambray shirt. Comfortable but still dressy without the jacket. Hope to meet you on Sat!

September 18, 2013 at 11:56 am

Ohhhh thank you!!!! I was a bit nervous with this being my first card design and all! Printfinity is awesome and DANGEROUS! haha you can get carried away so fast… but it’s so much fun! It’d be cool to see the progress of your house from being built, to built, to decorated on the backs of your cards though! They could tell your story!! See? I’m already carried away and they’re not even my cards!

Looks like chambray is in for the win! I still have to try everything on, so let’s hope it looks as good on as it does in theory/in my head!!!

Definitely hoping to meet you Saturday!

September 18, 2013 at 1:47 pm
  • Reply casey @waffling

I am super excited to meet you!!!! EEEEEE!

I need to pick an outfit :|

PS your cards are the bomb.com. Is that still a thing to say? If not im bringing it back

September 18, 2013 at 12:02 pm

ME TOOOOOO!!!!!

I swear the outfit was almost harder than designing my cards!

Oh and thank you! You are most definitely bringing it back and I love it!!!

September 18, 2013 at 1:48 pm
  • Reply Recommended Reading: 09.18.2013 | Newberry Sykes

[…] our first blog conference and we are going to be IN THE SAME ROOM as Sarah Richardson. Thalita at The Learner Observer is also attending BlogPodium for the first time but you wouldn’t know it from the great […]

September 18, 2013 at 12:38 pm
  • Reply Leah

OMG, I am so jealous! One of these days I really need to get myself to a blog conference, although Toronto is a little far for me to travel. Have fun!

September 18, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Haha yeah I guess Toronto is more than just a little drive away for you! I’m sure you’ll be going to one of the many that take place very soon, and when you do I’ll be ready with my best advice for ya! ;)

September 18, 2013 at 2:59 pm
  • Reply Amy | Love On Sunday Blog

Loving your cards Thalita! Moo is great, I was looking to go with them as well! I can’t believe you’re taking the train that early…so painful. Are you on the east or west end of the city? I’m driving!

September 18, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Thanks Amy! I can’t wait to see yours up close!! Honestly, I don’t mind the train (especially on the weekend) because it’s so quiet! I’m coming in from the East, so it’s only about 45 minutes or so!

September 18, 2013 at 3:41 pm
  • Reply Emily @ Two Purple Couches

I LOVE how your cards turned out!!!! There are so many cool possibilities, glad to see you took full advantage of it!
    Have fun at Blog-Podium!!!! I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time, and I can’t wait to follow your Instagram pics & read your recap!

September 18, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Thanks, Emily!!! I already can’t wait to try out new ones next time! haha True sing I have a PROBLEM!

September 19, 2013 at 2:48 pm
  • Reply Krista @ the happy housie

Wow!! You look sooo prepared and organized! Have a fabulous time!!

September 19, 2013 at 12:39 am

Haha the façade is working!!!! Thanks so much, Krista! :)

September 19, 2013 at 2:49 pm
  • Reply Becky

The cards! The clothes! The breath mints! Oh my!

And I like knowing I’m not the only ipad-less one there….

Looking forward to meeting you :)

Cheers,
    Becky

September 19, 2013 at 9:06 am

I know, it’s all just too much! It seems like there will be a small population of bloggers with notebooks, which I LOVE!

I’ll be ready and waiting for my wink on Saturday! :)

September 19, 2013 at 2:51 pm
  • Reply Nike O. (@NikeOnile)

I’ll be there this weekend so I’ll be sure to find you and say hello :)

September 20, 2013 at 6:31 am

Hey! Oh man how sucky that we didn’t get to meet! I hope you had a great time! I’m still recovering! haha

September 23, 2013 at 9:37 am
  • Reply The Friday Five: It’s Blog Podium Time!

[…] In the spirit of prepping for a blogging conference, Brittany from My Daily Randomness has not one, but two posts that we can all benefit from!  She wrote about attending a conference a few months back and there’s some great advice right there!  She also wrote one this week geared towards Blog Podium and put together a killer outfit, too!  I attempted to do the same, and in case you feel like you’re missing something, there’s a “What I’m bringing” list to help you along right here. […]

September 20, 2013 at 7:04 am