Blue dip-dyed pillow cover

Here it is… the moment you’ve all been waiting for.  Wait…What?  You’ve been living your own lives and not sitting by your computers waiting for my next project?  Well, I figured as much.  Good for you for not banking on me being a regular blogger and keeping some sort of schedule.  That would be cray-zay!

Without any more delay… here’s the latest thing I attempted to DIY:

dip-dyed cushion coverI had a plain white pillow cover, which I purchased at IKEA a few months ago (in case you’re interested, it was the RITVA cushion cover for $8.99).  I started to get kind of bored with its lack of colour and interest, and as we all know, dip-dyed ANYTHING is super ‘in’ right now, so I figured… why not?  I stopped by Fabricland on a whim one afternoon and picked up some dye.  Then I got home and realized I was going to need a large pot that I would be willing to sacrifice for the sake of this pillow since I would never be able to use it again for cooking – not cool.  I then hopped into the car to the trusty Salvation Army in town and picked up an old pot.  I know… pure genius!  Here are the steps illustrated a bit more clearly than my ramblings:

Dip-dye blue pillow1. Purchased Dylon dye in “Arabian Night.”    2. Washed pillow cover, which, by the way, is 100% cotton – bonus when trying to dye something.    3. Get the $4 pot ready and fill with water.    4. Boil water.    5. Add dye.    6. Stir until completely dissolved.    7. Begin the dip!    8. Figure out just how far you’d like the colour to go.  I figured just a little under halfway would be fine (the dye bled upwards a little).    9. Let the cushion cover sit in the dye for at least 15-20 minutes.  I did my best to keep the whole thing submerged by poking it around a bit.   10. Be ready to endure possible dying tragedies!  My t-shirt is not the only victim, sadly!    11. Rinse the cover until water runs clear then lay flat to dry.    12. Put your pillow insert back in and enjoy your work!

Cost breakdown:

Pillow cover = $8.99

Dye = $4.59

Total = 13.58

So there you have it.  A simple way to update a boring white pillow.  I didn’t include the cost of the pot because it’s something most people might have on hand, and it’ll be used for other projects now.  The thing that made me feel really awesome about it was when I Googled “dip-dyed pillow” and came across some rather expensive options in comparison to mine.

west elm and bluebellgray pillowsThe West Elm version comes in several colours, but blue was not one of them.  At $40 for just the pillow cover, it’s above what I like to spend on something I know I will change often.  The Bluebellgray option was the closest to my own creation, and it includes the stuffing in the cushion (which I paid $4 for, also at IKEA).  Talk about a huge price difference!  I saved $80 by creating my own.

So there you have it, friends.  This pillow has been sitting on my dryer, laying flat to dry for over a week now.  Why didn’t I just walk it upstairs and put it on the pillow until now?  I don’t know.  Why do I feel the need to confess all of my faults to you all?  I also don’t know… maybe because you seem to understand my imperfections so well!

Usual last look?  Ok!

dip-dyed blue cushion cover

Has anyone else tried a project like this?  It’s a bit blotchy – probably because I had the cover folded in the pot, but I don’t mind its imperfection.  What do you think?

Linking up Here and at My Repurposed Life.

This post has been featured!

May 17, 2013

May 17, 2013

May 23, 2013

May 23, 2013

May 24, 2013

May 24, 2013

• Reply patinaandcompany

Wow, so gorgeous and chic! Tempting, tempting . . . .

May 13, 2013 at 10:41 am

Thanks!!! It was so easy… I say go for it!!! I had never even attempted anything like this before, so I’m sure you can do it!!

May 13, 2013 at 11:10 am

Ooooo! This might be one of my favorites of your DIYs yet! I love the bright bold blue in contrast with the white half…and the fact that you braved dying your own fabric puts you in an all new tier of awesomeness in my book. And blotchy, smotchy. I think it’s perfectly imperfect.

Warmly,
    Lauren
    The Thinking Closet

May 15, 2013 at 2:06 am

Pillows have a way of becoming favourites don’t they? I mean they’re comfy to lay on, fun to throw, and can help bring a room to life! Thanks for saying that though. :) I didn’t feel so awesome when I saw blue dots on my stove and t-shirt…but the end result made up for that! I also made a huge mess because I dyed one sweater and 2 t-shirts (purposely), which I didn’t share in this post. Sweater = awesome. T-shirts = SUPER blotchy mess, not acceptable blotchy like the pillow at all! Trial and error…such is the life of us DIY-ers!!

May 15, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I wondered what you meant by, “Be ready to endure possible dying tragedies! My t-shirt is not the only victim, sadly!” Oh no…. Well, if you haven’t burned those t-shirts, I think you should totally save them for a craft fail post. I know I’m always encouraged when see that I’m not the only one with craft fails…and like you said, trail and error is just a part of the process. Something to consider….

May 15, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Oh you are so right! I kept the t-shirts… I have so many fails, that I might even consider making that my 31-day challenge this year! haha! Maybe not… 31 days is a long time to write about project fails! But you are right, it is encouraging when people are honest about their less successful attempts!

May 18, 2013 at 10:16 am
  • Reply Deli Silva

So beautiful and chic.

May 17, 2013 at 9:09 pm
  • Reply kristin hibiske

Hey :) I found you on the csi project… love your dip dyed pillow… I recently tried dip dying for the first time also! So fun!

May 17, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Hi Kristin! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I hope you didn’t wind up with clothes and a stove spotted with dye like me!! Lesson learned – try a different type of dye next time! :)

May 18, 2013 at 9:17 am
  • Reply Winners of the Crafting with Patterns Challenge | The CSI Project

[…] #12 Blue Dip-dyed pillow cover from The Learner Observer […]

May 18, 2013 at 1:03 am
  • Reply Ashley@BiggerthantheThreeofUs

Love this! I actually have blue dipped-dyed curtains that I recently bought at West Elm and have totally been loving them. May try this for our bedroom! Thank you.

May 18, 2013 at 8:26 am

Hi Ashley,
      Those curtains sound AMAZING! I have some white ones I am definitely going to paint/dye, but have not been able to decide yet… Maybe your curtains will bring me some inspiration! :) Thanks for checking out this project!

May 18, 2013 at 9:23 am
  • Reply Steph

So pretty! It seems like it would be fairly simple to do but it looks just as good as those expensive inspirations pictures!

May 18, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Thanks Steph! If I managed to somehow do it, anyone else can! And wow… is there a better compliment than being told that my simple $15 project done on a whim looks like the expensive versions? I think not! What an incredibly nice thing for you to say!

May 18, 2013 at 1:06 pm
  • Reply kelly arent {copper roof interiors}

love the dye dipped pillow….I have tie dyed tons of shirts in my day but never a pillow. Think I will give it a whirl. Thanks for showing us how! Love your site…found you thru CSI project. Going to browse around now. Am your newest follower.

May 19, 2013 at 9:07 am

Hi Kelly, how incredibly sweet of you!! If you can do it with shirts, why not pillows and curtains and sheets, right? Oh boy… that makes me want to go get some more dye right now! Thank you SOOOO much for coming by and for following!!! I’m amazed anyone other than my mom reads this little blog, so it’s a major accomplishment when other people want to read it too!

May 20, 2013 at 8:45 pm
  • Reply titicrafty

I love it! I love how it looks on your sofa!!! I would love to try that… I’ve never dyed anything before! =D It would be so cool if you could join my Link Party on Sundays =D I’m following you via twitter and Bloglovin’!

Hope you are having a lovely day

Hugs
    Cami @ TitiCrafty by Camila

May 19, 2013 at 10:47 am

Oh my goodness, you MUST try it! It’s messy, scary, and amazing!!! I will definitely be joining! Thank you for inviting me – I’ll be following you back!!!
      :D

May 21, 2013 at 9:45 pm
  • Reply carriehurst

Very, very cute! Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

May 20, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Thanks Carrie! Love your party :)

May 21, 2013 at 9:43 pm
  • Reply Made U Look Linky #72 |

[…] What an easy and inexpensive knockoff! DIY Dip Dyed Cushion Cover by The Learner Observer! […]

May 23, 2013 at 7:04 am
  • Reply Kim

Stopping by to let you know I featured your pillow today on Made in a Day!
    Kim

May 23, 2013 at 8:25 am

That’s amazing!!! Thank you so much! You have no idea how happy that makes me! :)

May 24, 2013 at 6:41 pm
  • Reply Diana Rambles

Love it!

May 23, 2013 at 8:40 pm
  • Reply becky6259

Well, the Bluebellgray Prussion Cushion was also blotchy, so I think it just adds character to the pillow! I’ll have to try this, now that you have made it look not-so-difficult. And, I love the way you make a collage of your how-to pictures — saves a LOT of scrolling! If you posted one day about how to do that, I would certainly try it with my own blog!

May 24, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Hi Becky! Thanks for the encouragement on the pillow blotchyness – I guess if an expensive version can be blotchy, so can mine, right? I might just have to write a post about the collage then, if you really think it’ll be helpful! Again, thanks for the lovely words – it’s mind boggling to think there are people in the world who read my blog!

May 24, 2013 at 7:12 pm
      • Reply becky6259

I know it would sure be helpful to me! It would make demo posts that contain a lot of pictures much easier to read. It’s really a neat idea!

May 24, 2013 at 10:56 pm
  • Reply TitiCrafty by Camila

Hi Thalita, I just wanted to stop by and say hello and Thanks you for stopping by and sharing this at Bewitch Me & Titi! Hope to have you back tomorrow with more lovely shares!

Hope you are having a lovely weekend!!!

Hugs
    Cami @ TitiCrafty by Camila

June 1, 2013 at 4:40 pm
  • Reply – Made U Look Linky #72

June 5, 2013 at 9:23 pm
  • Reply Diana Rambles

Thalita~ Thanks for letting me feature this post in a guest blogger spot while I was on vacation. I’ve pinned this post.

June 26, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Thank you Diana!! I’m so happy you featured it! Thanks so much!!!

June 27, 2013 at 6:06 am
  • Reply High/Low: Light and Girly Living Room

[…] course… I struggle with the $98 price tag on a pillow!  A pillow!  Remember when I made a $15 pillow case?  Yeah, that’s more my style.  So let’s see the lower cost […]

July 5, 2013 at 10:05 am
  • Reply Blow out the candle: The Learner Observer is 1!

[…] cable.  Yawn.  June had a bit more action with the Rub ‘n Buff-ed thrift shop finds, I dyed a pillowcase and got blue on EH-VUH-REE-THING!!!  There was also the completion of my gallery wall, a […]

August 17, 2013 at 12:54 pm