Advertisements

Ok, so get this…

I cooked something without a recipe!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttt?!?!?!  So cray-zay!

And this is what I made:

Advertisements

CHICKEN + BEAN STEW - The Learner ObserverIt may not look like much, but it’s a healthy and delicious meal, and yes, that surprised me too!  Here’s how I made it…

Chicken & Bean Stew Recipe

3 chicken breasts
4 cups of kale (frozen or fresh)
3 bacon slices, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 of a sweet onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
2 cans of no-salt added beans
salt to taste

Bean and Kale Stew ingredientsStart with half of the oil, garlic, onions and bacon.  Cook until onions are see-through and bacon is crispy.  Set aside.  In the same pan, cook the kale until it’s soft.  In a separate pan, cook chicken breasts with remaining oil.

Bean and Kale Stew - step 1Combine kale and the bacon, garlic and onion mix.

Bean and Kale Stew - step 3I rinse the beans, even though they have no sodium, so once you mix the beans into the kale, bacon, garlic and onion, throw in 4 cups of water along with the salt. (*Note: you can also use chicken broth for extra savouriness.  YUM!)  Mix and allow to simmer until chicken is cooked, or 20 minutes if you work ahead with the chicken.  Cut chicken into small bite-sized bits and add to bean stew.  Let simmer a bit longer to allow the broth to thicken.

Advertisements

CHICKEN AND BEAN STEW by The Learner ObserverFeel free to add a dash of Parmesan cheese just before you devour savour this dish!

Now here is some pretty important information – the nutritional stuff.

Picture 1Not too bad, right?  At under 300 calories, this is a great dinner option, especially for these cold Winter nights up ahead.

I have to say, I was actually craving Pasta e Fagioli.  However, I needed a meal without the refined carbs of pasta – we avoid it in this house.  This came pretty darn close, let me tell you!  So hearty and healthy.

CHICKEN AND BEAN STEW - The Learner ObserverSo, do you dare try this gluten-free, low-sodium, high-protein and high-fiber dish for dinner?

I’m off to have another bowl!

Advertisements

Tara @ Suburble

November 29, 2013

Love it! I need to get more kale into my life.

And I need to sneak it past my hubby! ;)

Pinning, lady!

December 2, 2013

Oh gosh, don’t we all?! It took a little convincing for my husband to agree to eating it, but now he isn’t even surprised when there’s a bunch of mushy green stuff on his dinner plate! HAHA!

Thanks for the Pin!

Inspire Me Heather

December 1, 2013

Your stew soup looks very good – thanks for the recipe!

December 2, 2013

Thanks Heather! Wishing I had some leftover right now on this cold, muggy day! :)

Johanna

December 1, 2013

This looks really hearty and like it would warm you down to your toes! Well done!
    Also, HOLY MOLY IT IS SNOWING ON YOUR BLOG! WHAAAAAAAT! That is so awesome haha
    Happy 1st Advent!! <3

December 2, 2013

Oh you’ll need that kind of warmth up in your neck of the woods, too!

HAHA I forgot WordPress does that! I kinds like the snow…. ONLY on the blog though!

Raven Corwin, aka Meggie

December 2, 2013

That sounds/looks good, Thalita. I will be trying it for myself. Makes you feel pretty cool to make up your own recipe, doesn’t it? :)

December 3, 2013

Heck yes it does! My mom does it all the time and I never understood how she just knew how to throw stuff together. I’m starting to get there…. slowly!

April @ Money Pit Love

December 3, 2013

Ummmm, one word: Omnomnomnomnom. That is all.

December 3, 2013

Hahaha that is a good word! Especially coming from you, a recipe queen!

Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

December 10, 2013

Thanks so much for sharing with Adorned From Above’s Link Party. Have a great week.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

carolynshomework

December 27, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your fantastic recipe on The Inspiration Board at homework. I featured you today! Have a great weekend.

carolyn
    homework &
    DETAILS

December 28, 2013

Oh Carolyn, you are wonderful. Thanks SO much for the feature! Have a lovely weekend!!