Creating a Cleaning Schedule and Walking on the Moon

Hey guys…

and gals…

Maybe I should have led with gals.  How many guys really read this thing?

Anyway, this is Day 2!  Woooo!  WINNING!  I haven’t skipped a day yet and this post was WRITTEN 4 DAYS IN ADVANCE!  How long do you think that will last?

Probably until about 4 days ago…

Let me get to the point, already…

Clean

This post is titled as such because just like I have never walked on the moon, I have never made any sort of cleaning schedule for my house.

Get it?  HA!

Kinda funny now right?

Ok fine.  I’ll stop with trying to be funny.

I know.  It never even works anyway.

So I decided to change one of those two things, and I have ZERO plans of taking me and my crazy hair anywhere near a zero-gravity environment.

Yeah.

I made a cleaning schedule.

So what?

Well for starters, I’m one of those people that LOVES a really clean house.  Thanks mom.  That’s all you!

But do I LOVE to clean?  Not unless I’m really, really mad. Thankfully that doesn’t happen too often.  So what ends up actually happening is that I find myself waking up on Saturdays in a mad rush to clean the house so I can enjoy my day.

Or I come home from work on a Friday night and start cleaning, counting down the seconds until I get to just sit down and relax.  Oh, and yeah… I know that sounds like the kind of Friday night everyone wants to have, right?

Or, even worse – I end up having a busy weekend and have no time to clean anything which means by Sunday afternoon when we’re supposed to be relaxing and enjoying the last few hours of freedom, I end up stressing out about the non-clean house and my husband has to talk me down from the ledge – AKA ripping everything apart and being an absolute psycho.

None of these options are good.  So I thought my first plan of action in my “no more stuff” month in which I focus on my house and making time for the important things would be to make a cleaning schedule.  Less spending Saturdays cleaning, more enjoying Saturdays with my husband and pup.  Less stressing out and more enjoying my family.  Win!

Here is my master plan. (Note: don’t click the image to print it!  There’s a PDF in this for you if you keep reading. But hey, feel free to pin it!)

Picture 26TADAA!!!!

It looks pretty straight forward, right?  Nothing too crazy, not too many words…

Oh, and I know.  It totally matches the blog!  Not intentional… I must just always have grey and peach on the brain!!!  I also made a version which can be used monthly instead of weekly.  I like the weekly option because I can cross things off as we go since Alex and I do these together.  I also made a file with the days of the week section blank so you can fill it in with whatever you’d like.

Picture 27I may tweak this list, but for now it makes sense for our house because:

1. we don’t have kids, so we can keep it pretty simple
  2. our house is small, and the two spare bedrooms are not being used at the moment.  Unless you count using them as storage pits.  Seriously… wait until you see my “office”.  Coming up this month.

I’ve put ‘take out the trash’ only on Mondays not because we keep all of our garbage in the house all week, but because garbage pickup is on Tuesdays.  Logic.  Some of you may think laundry every other day is just not enough – again, no kids, so for two people that’s more than enough.  Vacuuming needs to be done twice a week thanks to one 40 lb. shedding machine we call Luther.  Also why I wipe the baseboards so much… His tiny black and white hairs get onto EVERYTHING.  Oh, and thanks to my black thumb I need a reminder to water the plants.  Or they die.

This list will obviously not work for everyone, but I’m going to attach a PDF file for you anyway, just in case this happens to be helpful to you.  Here are the files for monthly lists: blank and full chore lists.  And here are the files for the weekly lists: blank and full chore lists.

I’ll follow up later on in the month to give you a full update on how this is working for me (or maybe not working).

Cross your fingers I make it, k guys (or did we decide on gals?)?

• Reply Julia at Home on 129 Acres

Since we finally got our new vacuum, the first thing I do on Friday nights now is vacuuming, so apparently my life is just as exciting as yours. I have no other routine at all… and it shows.

October 2, 2013 at 12:31 pm

HAHA Julia that’s awesome! You know what, though, it’s not always a bad way to spend the night as long as there is a glass of wine, or a cup of tea and a cozy blanket at the end of it!

October 2, 2013 at 9:11 pm
  • Reply Annet M

This is actually something I have considered not because I love a clean house but because I am a terrible housewife in the cleaning department. But I am completed shocked – clean oven monthly? Not 6-monthly or when the oven is so dirty everything smells burnt because the stuff inside is being baked on?! And wiping baseboards weekly? Not the day before you put the house on the market for the first time ever? Haha, okay, maybe not never – I recall I wiped them the day I painted the walls because the dust was getting in the way of my painting ;)
    And we have 3 of us (1 kid) and only do 2 loads of laundry a week – I have no idea how you have to do 4 loads a week.
    Doing like this might be something to get my butt in gear. Luckily I have an amazing husband who cleans but I could stand to pull more of my weight. But I might adjust it slightly ;)

October 2, 2013 at 5:48 pm
  • Reply Achieving Clarity

I hate to clean. Hate it. But I discovered the schedule helps me stay more accountable.

October 2, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Oh good! That gives me hope that I can make this work :)

October 3, 2013 at 9:39 am

Funny you say you clean when you’re mad; I clean when I’m stressed or scared. Like that time I thought I lost all of my blog subscribers, what did I do after I prayed on my knees to Jesus? I cleaned! HA! So out of character for me.

And thanks for the pdfs to these awesome lists! I need something like this! Our current cleaning plan is…well…frantically clean all the things in the two hours before we have company. Eek! So bad!

October 4, 2013 at 11:49 pm

I’m glad you can finally laugh at losing your subscribers now!

I definitely still do the cleaning frantically when people are coming over thing! Mostly thanks to the dog… but since I started this plan, I think to myself that it wouldn’t be so bad if someone popped in unexpectedly.

October 8, 2013 at 6:38 pm
  • Reply Emily @ Two Purple Couches

I so need this. My current cleaning schedule sounds an awful lot like your busy-weekend-Sunday-afternoon-freakout. And that is too stressful!
    Thanks for the downloadable blank pdf!! Here’s to getting more clean, more organized, and less stressed!

October 8, 2013 at 11:45 am

YESSSSSSSSS!!! Honestly, It’s only been a week for me, but it WORKS!

Let me know how it goes for you. I’m hoping I can keep up with it!

October 8, 2013 at 6:52 pm
  • Reply Gillian

I definitely clean on a schedule. When I write something on a calendar, I am much much much more likely to do it.

October 8, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Totally! Like if I make lists, I get stuff done (usually). It just works!

October 8, 2013 at 7:05 pm
  • Reply suzannesthoughts

This great! Really similar to my cleaning schedule, too. I only do laundry twice a week, but sometimes its more than one load (it is also just me and the hubs, but two furry friends!). Vacuuming keeps me sane with the two furballs shedding everywhere! Looking forward to following your series!

October 11, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I figure anything is better than doing laundry once a week and spending basically the entire day around the washer and dryer! I despise vacuuming. Like so so so so much! It is so very necessary with the dog, though. I figure scheduling it makes me more likely to actually do it!

Thanks SO much for reading along!

October 12, 2013 at 11:40 am
  • Reply melissa@joyineveryseason

i clean when i feel out of control :o) love your schedule … and the pretty pretty printables … had to keep scrolling back up to admire them!

November 16, 2013 at 11:51 am

I hear you on that! Anytime I’m stressed, cleaning makes me feel like I can take control. Since that’s not every day (thank goodness!) I needed a schedule. So glad you liked it!

November 17, 2013 at 6:55 am
  • Reply Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

Now that is organization. Thanks so much for sharing with Wednesday’s Adorned From Above Link Party.
    Have a great week.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

November 17, 2013 at 11:37 pm
  • Reply Kim

Love this! Thanks for the motivation! Stopping by to let you know I am featuring you tomorrow on Made in a Day! Thanks for linking up!
    Kim

November 20, 2013 at 1:19 pm

That’s totally amazing! Thanks so much, Kim!!!

November 20, 2013 at 2:46 pm
  • Reply Ce Ce

Thanks for this I’ve been looking for one of these!! So nice and simple.

Ce Ce

November 21, 2013 at 12:33 pm

So glad you like them Ce Ce!!!

November 21, 2013 at 2:15 pm
  • Reply May Lillian

Thanks for the inspiration! I just made a plan for our home and printed it today. Our hope is to do the most we can according to the plan. Even if we don’t have time to do everything on the list every day, it will still be easier to keep a tidy home :-)

June 18, 2015 at 5:18 am