DIY Vinyl Tassel Keychain

Can you believe it? I made something!

It feels like a long time since I did something crafty, and this weekend I made the decision to change that. This mint green vinyl had been sitting in my craft pile for months now, and I had intended on making these keychains when I originally bought it but for some reason I did what I do best – I procrastinated! Saturday morning I was reorganizing and pulled this out to make what I believe is the easiest craft ever. Ok, slight exaggeration, but it was pretty dang easy!

I have a lot of this vinyl (I think 2 meters), but obviously this project didn’t need anywhere close to that, so the good news is that if you have scraps, this is a great project! It would also be awesome with leather, obviously, but I didn’t want a black or brown tassel keychain and those were the only colours of leather at the store when I went. Anywho, here are the steps I took to make this in all of about 10 minutes!

Cut a strip of vinyl about 6 inches wide and folded it in half, holding it with some bulldog clips. Cut strips as thinly as possible. If you want to make more than one keychain, do this on about 12 inches of fabric – you only need 6 inches for one keychain (or less if you’d like a smaller one). Lay the fabric flat, coloured side down and start rolling it as tightly as possible.

Making a tassel keychain with vinylOnce you finish rolling, add a line of superglue to the edge and clip down with a bulldog clip. The glue dries in seconds, so you could just clamp it with your own fingers as long as there’s no glue seeping out! Make sure the seam is in the middle and ‘fold’ your keychain so that the seam stays on the inside.

Making a tassel keychain with vinyl part 2.jpgPut a keychain ring through it and fold down again, making sure the tassel is even. Cut a thin strip (also about 6 inches long, thin like the ones in the tassel) and add a dab of superglue to one end. Attach to the tassel where you stopped cutting and wrap it around about 3 times. Add another dab of superglue and hold down.

Making a tassel keychain with vinyl part 3That’s it. You’re done!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI made another one, which is actually a bit smaller and with thinner strips – naturally I like it more than the first one I made! I purposely picked gold keychain rings, which I purchased at Michael’s. It was about $6 for a box of 28! I’m going to be making keychains for days!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAMy family and friends can officially expect to get tassel keychains for birthdays and other occasions from here on out, because these bad boys will be mega cute attached to a gift instead of using a bow, am I right? Tassel keychains for everyone!!!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAHave you tried making one of these before? I now want to go out and buy vinyl in every possible colour and make a million of these! Well, I still have 26 keychain rings, so I can at least make that many!

Hope you’re having a lovely Spring Monday!

• Reply Midsommarflicka

Oh, they look fabulous! I definitely would prefer a tassel instead of a bow on any gift :)

May 5, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Right? Tassels are way better :)

May 5, 2014 at 5:50 pm
  • Reply Vanessa

So adorable, Thalita! I’ve been coveting one of these for ages… may just need to try this :)

May 5, 2014 at 9:21 pm

You totally should! Orrrr I could just send you one :)

May 5, 2014 at 9:40 pm

These are gorgeous, Thalita! Seriously I feel like Coach or Burberry is going to scoop you up so you can design tassels for their bags; they are that chic. I love the minty green and gold combination move…and the idea of using these as part of the gift wrap, but also the gift?! In the words of Michael Scott: “Mikey likey!” Congrats on another stellar craft, my friend!

May 5, 2014 at 11:48 pm

Oh my dearest friend, you are too kind!

Not gonna lie, the mint and gold was kinda magical for me! Also, I love your Michael Scott reference!!!

May 27, 2014 at 10:41 pm
  • Reply Amy @ Homey Oh My!

I LOVE this Thalita! A lot simpler to make than I thought! I’ve never tried making one of these before but I will now!!

May 8, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you so much for the sweet comment! Definitely give it a try – if I can do it, anyone can!

May 27, 2014 at 10:45 pm

[…] DIY Vinyl Tassel Keychain from The Learner Observer […]

May 12, 2014 at 9:01 pm
  • Reply The Rockstars of Creativity Unleashed Week 19 - The Bold Abode

[…] gorgeous Vinyl Tassle Keychain is my new candy […]

May 14, 2014 at 8:01 pm
  • Reply Gwen

Hi Thalita! Just wanted to let you know I featured your super cool tassels on my blog tonight! Grab your peeps and come vote for your project so you can be the MEGA Rockstar of Creativity Unleashed Week 19!

May 14, 2014 at 8:36 pm
  • Reply Emily @ Two Purple Couches

Easy crafts are my favorite. And when easy is as cute as this, count me in! Love the idea to use these tassels as gift-toppers! Also, I think that’s the most adorable tube of glue I’ve ever seen. << is this the weirdest comment anyone's ever left you?? I kind of hope so! :-P

May 15, 2014 at 11:36 am
  • Reply Fabulous Feature Friday

[…] vinyl tassels from The Learner Observer could adorn just about […]

May 16, 2014 at 7:01 am
  • Reply Fab Friday Finds | two purple couches

[…] you’re in the mood for something crafty this weekend, check out these diy vinyl tassel keychains by my friend Thalita over at The Learner Observer. I love the minty color she chose—so fresh for […]

May 16, 2014 at 7:02 am
  • Reply Johanna

Haha I love that as a motto – I can just picture you, running around like you’re throwing confetti, shouting “tassel keychains for everyone!”. Definitely agree, I think they’ll look wonderful on presents! :)

May 16, 2014 at 10:30 am

HAHAHA Oh my gosh I actually want to do that!!! Thanks for the laugh :)

May 27, 2014 at 10:49 pm
  • Reply {nifty thrifty sunday #156} | {nifty thrifty things}

[…] {1} This Silly Girl’s Life: Blackberry Apricot Sangria {2} The Learner Observer: DIY Vinyl Tassel Keychain […]

May 17, 2014 at 6:03 pm
  • Reply Scarf Turned Camera Strap {SCARF WEEK} - The Learner Observer

[…] so why did I pick the vinyl over the ribbon? Well I made these super cute tassel keychains a little while ago and ended up using one of them to embellish the camera strap a […]

August 12, 2014 at 10:41 am
  • Reply raybaby

What are the measurements that you used? 6″ by what?

October 31, 2014 at 6:45 am

It was about 15 inches wide, but you can totally change that depending on how thick you want the tassel. Hope that helps!!

November 6, 2014 at 9:17 pm
  • Reply Shazeen Quadri

First: I love this DIY! Second: where did you get the gold keychain circles? I checked A.C. Moore & I didn’t find any:( do you know where I can get some? Third: The vinyl at the same craft store came in a sheet and on the back it was white & if you peeled the white sheet off the vinyl was sticky on that side …. Was your vinyl like this as well? I wanna get the right kind so I make these!! (Do you know where you got that mint colored vinyl?) Please let me know bcuz I’m so excited to make one!… Or a couple!

July 18, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Hi Shazeen! Sorry it’s taken me so long to get back to you! The gold keychain rings are from Michael’s, but many craft stores carry them. The vinyl is actually from a fabric store, and it’s the stuff people use to make tablecloths with, which is why it’s not sticky in the back! I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have other questions!!

July 30, 2015 at 9:28 pm