I made a pie and I liked it

My first ever: Pumpkin Pie!

I made a pie and I liked it

I did it, I did it, I did it!!!

I made my first EVER pumpkin pie!

April of Money Pit Love TOTALLY inspired me to do this thanks to her easy peasy lemon squeazy recipe.

Honest to good goodness, folks… you gotta check her out.  April is PURE hilarious mixed with realness and awesome sauce just ALL OVER!  She is totally cool and you need to read her blog.  I got to meet her at the Princess Margaret Showhome and it was a MAJOR highlight of the night for me.  We laughed so much and I kinda fell in love with her a little.

Oh, hi April.

Is it weird I’m professing my love for you so publicly?

Sorry… I couldn’t help it.

My pie is not NEARLY as pretty as April’s.

is this baking

Case and point.

There’s also a huge gash in the middle you can’t see.  It’s where I stabbed the thing to see if it was done.  Like a cake!  I stabbed my pie with a fork like I do with a cake!!!!!!

I should not be allowed to bake.  Ever.

Buuuuuut… though the pie was not pretty, it was certainly tasty.  Apparently I don’t do pretty very well as this is now my second time being anti-pretty this week – remember the pantry?

Anyway, go see April’s blog for the full recipe – she has one with real pumpkin and one with canned.  She made both.  I told you… she’s so awesome!!!

First pumpkin pie

Though by some people’s standards this may not be real baking and I may not have been exactly “successful”, I am super happy I did it and am officially addicted to pie.  Next I’ll be trying Britt’s amazing recipe… Doesn’t it look amazing?

Have any pie recipes you want to share with me?  I’m feelin’ the pies this Fall… and they don’t have to be sweet.  Give me what you got!

P.S. One week left in October.  That means one week left in the 31 Day Series.  That means one week left until I get to take a weekend off from obsessing about blogging! That means only one more week of madness!

Totally doing a little happy dance right now!!!

• Reply Julia at Home on 129 Acres

I’ve only baked one pie. Pastry was just too much of a hassle for me. I like to bake, but I’ll do cake, squares, cookies, anything else except a pie, any time. Suggestion for a pie plate: try Value Village or thrift. A basic glass pie plate should be easy to find for a very reasonable price.

October 24, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Pies are a bit scary for some reason, but this non-baker is hooked after this experience. What can I say… Once I find something I can ACTUALLY bake, I stick to it! Great call on where to get a pie plate!!! I’m going to scour the thrift shops around here for some :)

October 25, 2013 at 12:14 pm
  • Reply Emily @DavenportDIY

This looks great!! And I think I would probably stab a pumpkin pie the way I stab a cake/brownies/bread- that’s really the only way to know if it’s truly done, right? I probably wouldn’t stab an apple pie…but pumpkin is fair game! Too bad I’ll never know because my husband HATES pumpkin anything, especially pie, so I never get a chance to bake pumpkin pies. I do have a pie crust recipe that is AMAZING…and fool proof. It’s not hard at all- and is SO much better than store bought. I’ll share if you want it!

October 25, 2013 at 9:10 am

Oh Emily thank you for making me feel better about my stabby pie!!! I was completely anti pumpkin anything up until 2 years ago. The pumpkin spice latte changed me and I soon went on to try a piece of pie and fell in love!

Fool proof is ME proof! YES! I would looooooove for you to share it! Then I can give you mad props on the blog next time I make pie!

October 25, 2013 at 12:13 pm
  • Reply Raven Corwin, aka Meggie

It’s not homemade pumpkin pie if it doesn’t have the slit in the middle where you test it. hehe Serious. I’ve never seen a PP in my family that didn’t have that. I recommend the Pyrex glass pie dishes. I usually use canned pumpkin- plain not seasoned- and spice it myself. I have done real pumpkin, but it is SO messy. Pie crust from scratch is not that hard, so don’t be afraid. I use the pie crust recipe from my 1986 edition of the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (the red and white checkered one), but I sub 1 stick of butter for the shortening. But good old Mrs Smith’s crusts are just fine when you don’t want to dust your kitchen with flour. Listen to me rave on about pumpkin pie. I LOVE pumpkin pie! And you did GREAT!

October 25, 2013 at 6:19 pm

K it sounds like you are pumpkin pie expert, so if you say the slit(gash in my case) int he middle is ok, I already feel better about it! I did spice this one myself also, and I was surprised I managed to do it! Thanks for the encouragement!!! :)

October 25, 2013 at 10:00 pm
  • Reply April @ Money Pit Love

OMG I AM THE ABSOLUTE WOOOORST.

You went and wrote such awesome things about me and our mutual bloggy-love and then you MADE A PIE, and it’s been days and I haven’t responded.

I’m an asshat, but I’m an asshat for good reason.

It’s a long tale of technical woe that I won’t get into here, but in summary: I’ve been without technology for five days. FIVE DAYS. It was a horrible awful confluence of tragic events that resulted in barely any access, so I’ve been away because I was forced to be.

But now I’m back (finally) and I wanted to say that your pie is BEE-YOO-TEE-FUL. Did you enjoy it? As in, was it as delicious as it looks? Awesome job, my friend. It looks freaking fantastic. I totally wouldn’t say no to an invitation to come over and try a slice (*hint**hint*)

xoxoxoxo

October 26, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Oh April, I wasn’t thinking any less of you at all! I figured life is busy, so stop calling yourself an asshat!

K, no technology for 5 days is like torture! I’m sorry you had to go through that!!

The pie was SO DELICIOUS!!!!! Next time I make it that invite is coming your way :)

October 27, 2013 at 5:04 pm
  • Reply Emily @ Two Purple Couches

Pie is pie, no matter how it’s made, or what it’s baked in! YUM!!!

October 28, 2013 at 12:03 pm

So true! It did taste pretty great, so I didn’t care much for the looks of it. Now I want pie again…

October 29, 2013 at 9:21 am
  • Reply Carrot Cake From Scratch - I Made That! - The Learner Observer

[…] know it’s hard to believe for some of you that I didn’t just make a pie, but also a cake!  And the cake was 100% from scratch!  I made a carrot cake from […]

October 29, 2013 at 10:55 pm
  • Reply 31 Days 2013: Reflection - The Learner Observer

[…] done or made or thought about (like use a LOT of gifs in the Sunday Home Inspiration Posts, or my very first pie, or how sometimes function beats beauty – even if you’re a […]

October 31, 2013 at 6:28 pm
  • Reply The Friday Five: Lights, Camera, Stolen Art? - The Learner Observer

[…] about how funny and cool and HILARIOUS she is?  Oh yeah… She inspired me to bake that pumpkin pie and I professed my love for her then… Well I’m back to professing because she made […]

November 8, 2013 at 5:23 pm
  • Reply Ritchil

This pumpkin pie looks delicious Thalita!

November 19, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Thanks so much, Ritchil! It was fun to tackle making a pie for the first time!!

November 20, 2013 at 10:44 am
  • Reply Kalee Sorey

This pie looks amazing!! YUM!

November 24, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Thanks Kalee!! Makes me want warm pumpkin pie every time I look at this post!

November 25, 2013 at 5:59 pm
  • Reply Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

Thanks so much for sharing with Wednesday’s Adorned Link Party. Have a great Thanksgiving.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

November 26, 2013 at 2:32 am
  • Reply The Learner Observer - Easy as Pie: Peach Pie Bites

[…] not much of a baker, let alone of things as complicated as pie (though I did make a pumpkin pie once), but these are even easy enough for me, so I’m positive anyone – and I mean ANYone […]

August 20, 2016 at 6:01 am