First Year of Marriage

It’s September 15th at 6pm and I’m walking into the chapel, sweating like crazy because I just got back from running through the hotel and our wedding venue to get my veil, left behind in our room.  Also, I was a little nervous (no, not about getting married, about tripping or crying so much my Maid of Honour might be forced to read my vows for me!  Don’t worry, neither happened.)  The wedding coordinator is fixing the train on my dress and my cathedral length veil  as I walk through the doors (you can see his head in the picture below).  My heart is pounding.  Or did it stop beating altogether?  Nope… I can tell it’s still beating because I just felt a drip of sweat run down the back of my knee, so that must mean I’m good!   I walk in and notice these things:IMG_8925

• My dad is surprisingly steady and I feel such enormous confidence that he will not let me slip and fall on the aisle.
  • My mom’s eye’s are glimmering from tears still not released.
  • Alex is completely straight-faced, but there’s definite joy in his eyes and it warms my heart.
  • And man, that aisle felt LONG!  But it was tiny, I promise you.  I think the chapel has about 12 pews on either side!

My mom meets us at the end of the aisle and the three of us stand there facing my best girls, our dear friend and pastor, my future husband, and his closest buds.

Pastor Jon says a few words, which includes something like: “I asked Marquis what he loves most about Thalita and he said it’s how she puts herself before other people all the time…”  It was exactly what we all needed (well, it was exactly what I needed) at that moment: a good laugh.  I almost thought I would bust out into an ugly cry though, because you know how laughter can sometimes just sort of quickly develop into the ugly cry when you’re in extremely emotional situations?  Yeah, well this one was a close call for me!

IMG_8955

Pardon the interruption.  If you’re confused by me saying Alex was straight-faced, and Pastor Jon asked Marquis to say some nice things about me, don’t worry… you are not seeing things and I did not marry two men that day.  Ha!  Marquis Alexander Murray is my husband.  Get it?  He’s gone by Alex with friends and family for years, but we stuck with Marquis for the wedding since it’s his given name.  Very confusing, I know.  Back to the story.

PicMonkey CollageAfter we finished laughing, we got on with the ceremony.  I kissed my parents and walked up to stand next to my VERY soon-to-be husband.  I couldn’t tell you who was there, or what the flowers looked like, or whether it was hot or cold or loud or quiet in there.  As soon as I stepped up there it was like we were in our own little bubble and it made no difference where I was, just who I was with.  I managed to get through my vows without breaking down, and as I listened to Alex say his vows to me, I felt like my heart was going to explode!  He did GOOD, let me tell you!!!

IMG_8974Ceremony over, we were pronounced husband and wife and walked out of the chapel in a breath-taking, belly hurting laughter that came from a pure and unspoken kind of joy.  All we could do was look at one another and laugh.  It was amazing.  The wedding coordinator looked at us, completely baffled, and said he had never seen that before in all his years!

IMG_9245

That’s what we’re celebrating today – that joy that comes from loving and being loved SO MUCH.

“525,600 minutes. How do you measure a year?”

Just TRY not to get that song stuck in your head now!!!

That’s a lot of minutes, but you know what?  It’s a lot of opportunities to learn and to love and this year I have learned a lot and I have loved a lot!  I could tell you every little thing about how awesome and crazy this year has been, but I think I can summarize my learning into a few words.

marriage 2

I know, I’m so deep. (kidding)

Happy First Anniversary, babe!

We celebrated by taking an extended weekend to get massages, eat fancy meals and relax (sans crazy puppy) in beautiful Mont Tremblant, Quebec!  If you follow on Instagram, you’ve been seeing lots of images and videos to document the weekend.  Hope you have enjoyed them!

So that sums it up for me.  At least for this first year.  Now, I’m always open to hearing from more experienced wives/husbands, and as long as your advice isn’t “never go to bed angry,” (I happen to think it’s a bit cheesy/overused/untrue) I’d love to hear from you!

Oh wanna know the best part?  We also celebrated this anniversary by booking a trip for the Spring.  It’s official – we are London and Paris bound in April and could not be more excited about it!  So if you have wise words for traveling to either/both locations, do share!!!

xoxo

• Reply Gude @HodgePodgeCraft

What a heart-warming post! I’m so glad you guys are as happy as ever and how exciting that you have a trip to look forward to :D London tip: it’s expensive, so start saving now!
    What kind of things do you like to do together and I’ll think of some recommendations… x

September 15, 2013 at 6:50 pm
  • Reply Emily @ Two Purple Couches

Happy Anniversary! I love reading your wedding-day recap, and the little details you remember from that day. I don’t have any profound marriage advice, but I would say that the couple who laughs together, stays together. My husband and I are total goofs with each other, and I love this about us. We don’t take ourselves too seriously. We’ve been together for 13.5 years (married for 6.5), so we must be doing something right!

September 15, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Emily, that is AMAZING! 13.5 years?!?!?! Geez! We’re just going on 6 years together so we’re just babies compared to you guys! haha
      That sounds like great advice – and I love to laugh, he loves to be a goof, so it all works out. It usually means I walk around the grocery store pretending not to know him as he sings and dances down the aisles, but it IS hilarious…

September 16, 2013 at 9:47 am
  • Reply Rachel

That’s so amazing, congratulations to you both! It’s funny, because I’m going to have a very similar blog post in seven days– my first year wedding anniversary is on September 22! I could not agree more with your quote: over the last year my husband and I have faced the very best and the very worst together, and even though we’ve made each other laugh AND cry we still made it to this first marker of time together– and I love him more every day for all we’ve been through.

I wish so much love and happiness for you two, and someday we’ll all be saying, “My god! Has it been a decade already?!” :)

Love + Best Wishes always,

Rachel

September 15, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Rachel, that is SO exciting!!!! Honestly, when people say a first year of marriage is tough they are right, but it’s also amazing because you learn so much and just when you think you can’t love someone more, you do! I can only imagine what’s to come… It’s definitely a super exciting journey, though, right?

Thanks so much for your kind wishes. And you’re right… that day is probably coming faster than we can imagine!

September 16, 2013 at 9:53 am
  • Reply Amy

What a beautiful post, Thalita! It was so well written that I feel like I was there with you as you walked down the aisle. I have the same fear of balling my eyes out because as my fiance likes to say, I’m a basket case!. LOL I cry when I’m extremely happy.

Also, your dress? Gorgeous. What a stunning bride! Happy Anniversary and I wish you nothing but pure happiness and love for years to come!

Really can’t wait to meet you on Saturday! :)

September 16, 2013 at 10:01 am

Thanks Amy!!!! I was afraid I’d have a repeat of when he proposed, in which I yelled “Shut up” and started to cry and wave my hands in the air uncontrollably. Super embarrassing. We were in a very public place! But yes, extreme happiness brings tears. The thing is, whether or not you cry, who cares, right? It’s your day and you can cry if you want to!

I would walk around the house and vacuum in that dress if I could. I think all brides tend to feel that way… Thanks so much for the compliment and well wishes!

Also, I can’t believe Saturday is just around the corner!!! Super excited to meet you!!

September 16, 2013 at 3:46 pm
  • Reply Becky

What a wonderful post! It’s nice to get a glimpse into someone’s most special day :)

Plus Paris & London?? Am officially jealous! And also, if you wanna hear about some cheap places to visit drop me a line. I’ll get you the best view in London for the price of a cup of tea! :)

Cheers,
    Becky

September 16, 2013 at 10:12 am

Thank you, Becky!

Oh and I know, right? I can hardly believe it’s actually happening! And I will be most definitely taking you up on that London view for the price of a cup of tea! Sounds amazing!!

September 17, 2013 at 9:23 am
  • Reply Johanna

Well, I’m a little bit behind the curve, but HAPPY ANNIVERSARY nonetheless! You looked even more gorgeous than you normally do in those photos, which is saying something!
    I think “never go to bed angry” is actually a really cute thing.. my Mom used to always make me say goodnight, no matter how mad I was, so I’d come stomping down the stairs, choke out a “goodnight” and then give her the most lightning speed peck that you ever did see! (still happens now and again haha) But it was always the thing that got me to think about what I was so mad about, so yeah.. whatever works, I guess.
    Oh and THANKS A LOT, now I have that damn song stuck in my head! Grr.

September 16, 2013 at 10:27 am

Awww thank you Johanna!!!!

I do actually believe there’s truth in that saying, it just seems to be the #1 thing you hear from people (which is just another testament to its truth, I suppose). That is the cutest story ever, by the way!!!

Sorry about the song! If it’s any consolation, it’s now in my head again for the 150th time in a week!

September 16, 2013 at 3:49 pm
  • Reply Georgia

Lovely post…Happy anniversary! You guys look great.

September 16, 2013 at 10:55 am

Thanks so much, Georgia!! Hard to believe that was just one year ago!

September 16, 2013 at 3:54 pm
  • Reply Amanda - Small Home Big Start

What a sweet post! Happy Anniversary! We just got engaged two weeks ago and now we’re planning our wedding for May 2014. Reading this got me all excited for the wedding…but more importantly, what comes afterwards

Visiting from the BlogPodium website. Just checking out other Canadian bloggers who are coming. Hope to see you there!

September 16, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Hi Amanda! Thanks so much! Oh and CONGRATULATIONS!!! Isn’t being engaged so exciting? I loved those first few months of looking at venues and dresses and flowers… if you’re into that kind of thing, anyway! haha! You’re right though – what comes after is really the best because it’s your life together forever. It’s pretty awesome! So excited for you!!! And how exciting that I will hopefully get to meet you on Saturday!!

September 17, 2013 at 9:39 am
  • Reply Raven Corwin, aka Meggie

Happy Anniversary! You look like a movie star in your amazing dress! Alex is very handsome, too. You said: “as I listened to Alex say his vows to me, I felt like my heart was going to explode!” I couldn’t help but smile and say an out-loud YES! I felt the same way when Oliver and I got married 2 weeks ago and he said his part. I was so nervous at first, standing there in front of people saying all those mushy things, but when he started talking, staring into my eyes with such a look of affection, love, and all that other mushy stuff (hehe), I felt like nothing else existed in the world. My staunch Scottish self actually got choked up. That’s how I know how much I love him. :) A lifetime of joy, love, and peace to you both! Cheers!

September 16, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Ummmm BLUSHING!!!! Thank you so much! Crazy how you get into that little bubble and it’s like the world stopped just for you. Your story is so very sweet and if everything goes wrong on someone’s wedding day, as long as they get THAT moment, everything has gone just right, right? So excited to see more of your big day! And thanks so much for the kind wishes!!

September 17, 2013 at 9:44 am
  • Reply ourpaintedworld

Awe, Happy (late) anniversary! My hubby and I just celebrated our 20th anniversary this year and I think the best advice is work for it! It’s not always easy… sometimes it’s the hardest job you’ll ever have, but it’s always worth working on your marriage! I wish you 20 more years together just as happy as this first one has been for you! ♥

September 17, 2013 at 11:19 am

Thank you so much for the wonderful words of wisdom! Though we are just 1 year in, I can see how your statement is true. Congratulations on 20 years of happiness!

September 18, 2013 at 11:07 am