High/Low: Modern Neutral Bedroom

My only magazine subscription is to Style at Home – it’s a GREAT Canadian mag.  One of my favourite columns is the “High/Low” – it gives you some great perspective on what you can get for your buck, and perhaps what’s worth splurging a few extra bucks on.  The column is always beautifully done, and meticulously decorated for both price points, but let’s face it folks… I just can’t give you that kind of presentation.  What I can give you is an idea of what a room could look like and for what cost.  Good enough?  I hope so!

higlow button

Just before I go on, a quick note that I have no affiliation to Style at Home (I wish!).  I just really love the column and while out for a quick shop this afternoon I had this epiphany that I could do a little High/Low of my own.

You will see a store repeated several times.  This is because it’s so easily accessible to most people (and I just happened to be at said store when the “High/Low” idea came to me!).  I love a good bargain, and I did some serious hunting for these deals!  Here we go!

grey white bedroom accessories

grey white bedroomOk so there they are.  I realize it may be obvious which is the ‘high’ and which is the ‘low’ if you recognize one of the brands, but let’s see them side by side, shall we?

grey white bedroom collage

Ok and here are the prices:

grey bedroom accessories

The “low” down.  Haha I made a funny… oh wait… that wasn’t funny?  Sorry!  Ok here’s the breakdown:

All of these are from Walmart.  Yes, all of them!  Let me also  point out that this version of the grey and white chevron room, one would actually have 3 sets of sheets as opposed to 1 in the more expensive version.  Granted, they may not be as soft, maybe, but the low, low price makes up for that, doesn’t it?

grey white bedroom 1

That’s a whopping $730.87 difference!  Hey that could buy you some furniture for this hypothetical bedroom!  The more expensive options came from several places.  The duvet cover is from Urban Outfitters.  The sheets, vase, throw and rug are from Crate & Barrel.  The lamp and beaded pillow are from Pottery Barn.

So what do you think?  Is this a fair comparison?  Which one do you like better?  Come on, tell me… how did I do?

Happy bargain shopping!

signature

Linking up here and at Catch as Catch Can.

• Reply Deli

You are the best !

March 25, 2013 at 8:18 am
  • Reply thethinkingcloset

Love this! I didn’t even really know which one was the high and which was the low, which is a testament to your success on this project, Thalita. Great job. Have you heard of The High-Low Project? It’s a show with Sabrina Soto on HGTV, and I kinda sorta got obsessed with it for a spell. If you like re-creating a high end look for less (which it appears you do and have a knack for), then you’d like the show.

March 26, 2013 at 12:47 pm

That’s amazing! Thanks Lauren!! I have never heard of it… But now I will be sure to watch it!! I do want to keep doing this – it’s fun to see how much can be saved just by looking in the right places!

March 27, 2013 at 1:47 pm
  • Reply thecapeonthecorner

good for you, that’s a great hi/low!

March 27, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Thanks so much!! It was so fun to shop around for the lowest possible price :)

March 27, 2013 at 4:25 pm
  • Reply Emily

love the color theme!! Thanks for linking up to Tasteful Tuesdays! love it! Really appreciate you stopping by my blog! I’m trying to keep in better touch with my linkers/readers… If you already follow me, please let me know I will find your blog on Bloglovin (I’m transferring my follows there)if you don’t follow in any way, would you consider following via GFC or other method?

March 28, 2013 at 10:08 am

Thanks Emilly!! I just transferred all of my previous Google Reader blogs to Bloglovin’ and yours is one of them!!

March 28, 2013 at 10:25 am
  • Reply igotthismartha

Wow! Gray and white is my new obsession. I am getting ready to redo a bathroom using gray and white! I love your ideas!

March 30, 2013 at 5:07 pm

That sounds amazing!!! I can’t wait to see what your bathroom looks like finished :)

April 1, 2013 at 8:27 am
  • Reply Alicia @ A Syncopated Home

Great idea! You could even mix the two! I like the grey theme too!

March 30, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I totally agree! And honestly, I probably would end up mixing them… that way you invest in some high-end things that are worthwhile while saving a buck on the stuff you might get sick of :)

April 1, 2013 at 8:34 am
  • Reply Emily Benson

I love this idea! You did a great job, I even liked some of the low stuff better than the high stuff!! Great job!

April 1, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Thanks so much Emily! I too had some favourites in the low end… More expensive doesn’t always mean better, right?

April 1, 2013 at 1:48 pm
  • Reply Diana Rambles

So pretty! Thanks for sharing this at my Pin Me Linky Party. I hope you come visit & link again.

April 3, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Thanks Diana!!! I will definitely be back :)

April 3, 2013 at 5:22 pm
  • Reply carriehurst

I could hardly tell the difference! They’re both gorgeous. Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

April 4, 2013 at 2:10 pm
  • Reply Roeshel S (@DIYShowOff)

Wow! Beautiful design and looooove the savings! Great job!

April 7, 2013 at 8:28 pm