One Room Challenge 2014: The Finale

So this is it! I’m not going to bore you with too many words because it’s all about the pictures. Just know this: The One Room Challenge is hard, it’s stressful, exhausting, and I am SO GLAD I DID IT! Having a room finished in just 6 weeks seemed impossible, but Alex and I made it happen. We both lost sleep over it, worked hard, missed out on a Halloween party, and are totally proud of ourselves for making it all come together. Wanna see?

The Learner Observer One Room Challenge Master Bedroom Makeover

So if you remember, this was the inspiration I posted a few weeks ago:

OB-Master Bedroom grey

A few things changed, a few stayed the same. I opted to leave the rug out of the room for now because I don’t love that chevron anymore, so it may just get replaced. The white console table was too much in the room, so it’s also out. It served no purpose, and in a small room like ours, all pieces of furniture must serve a purpose! Instead, I added our antique trunk to the mix. The headboard is white, not grey, which I love and the full tutorial is right here. If the dressers had been white like I had planned, the headboard wouldn’t have worked, but with all the greys happening, it’s perfect. It’s not a true white – it’s very creamy and works well with the warm grey on the walls.

Let’s look at some more pictures!

The Learner Observer One Room Challenge Master Bedroom Makeover

The white curtains really soften the whole room. I love them! We opted for curtains instead of closet doors because our closet was super awkward – it had 3 sliding doors running on 2 tracks, which meant only a small part of the closet could be open at any given time. Now there’s a dresser in there and the whole thing can be opened up. It’s amazing!

The Learner Observer One Room Challenge Master Bedroom Makeover

The trunk is an antique Alex and I found a couple of years ago. It’s been in every room of our house, and finally can call the master bedroom home! I love it here now!

The Learner Observer One Room Challenge Master Bedroom Makeover

The thrifted dresser is amazing, you guys! I love love love it! The pulls and handles are perfection on this grey. I’ll have a full separate post on the dressers soon!

The Learner Observer One Room Challenge Master Bedroom Makeover

Ok… the headboard! My fingertips still hurt from the tufting, but it’s incredible. I mean, seriously…so much better than I had even imagined it would be! Full tutorial is ready!

The Learner Observer One Room Challenge Master Bedroom Makeover

The artwork in the room is all pretty meaningful to us in some way. The large print was a find at an antique shop in Versailles earlier this year, The frame on Alex’s nightstand has my wedding vows and his are on the ledge above the bed – our first anniversary gift to one another, some of the smaller pieces are thrifted finds, the ‘love’ print is by Lindsay of Penny Paper Co., the ‘messy’ print is care of TopKnot Weddings, the canvas was a DIY project, the ‘kisses’ artwork was a gift from one of my best friends… I could go on!

The Learner Observer One Room Challenge Master Bedroom Makeover

I love the details in this room. The shadow box holds my wedding bouquet and some pictures. My mom made this for me and gave it to us on our first wedding anniversary because she’s insanely sweet like that! The key hanging from the glass canister was a wedding favour at one of my best friends’ wedding where I was the lucky Maid of Honour.

The Learner Observer One Room Challenge Master Bedroom Makeover

Almost everything on my dresser is thrifted. It’s perfect!

The Learner Observer One Room Challenge Master Bedroom Makeover

I’ll leave you with one final image: the before and after!

Master Bedroom Before and After

Apologies for the dark pictures. As you can imagine, taking photos after 4pm when I got home from work was not in my best interest, but you do what you gotta do!

So what do you think my friends? Was this a successful first ORC? I’m still reeling from it all and catching up on sleep!

If you’d like to go back and see all of the madness, here it is!

Week 1Week 2Week 3Week 4Week 5

• Reply Danica

LOVE the dressers on each side of the bed!!! You did such a great job!

November 6, 2014 at 7:37 am

Thanks, girl!!! You’re such an awesome cheerleader :)

November 6, 2014 at 9:28 pm
  • Reply Lara

oh my gosh!!! AMAZING!!!!! I absolutely Love it. You my friend are incredible at what you do!

November 6, 2014 at 7:41 am

Thanks so much, my darling friend!!! I can’t wait to get some work done in your beautiful house now :)

November 6, 2014 at 9:29 pm
  • Reply Jordana @WhiteCabana

Fabulous, Thalita! Congrats! I can’t believe you made the tufted headboard! Gorgeous!

November 6, 2014 at 7:51 am

Thanks so much, Jordana!!! My fingertips are still raw, but the headboard is done – it’s all worth it! :)

November 6, 2014 at 9:30 pm
  • Reply Lindsey Brock

You did this in *6 weeks*?? Unbelievable!! The room is completely transformed into a soft, romantic getaway. I love it!!! The before and after pics speak volumes!

November 6, 2014 at 8:04 am

Thanks, Linds!!! Yep… 6 gruesome weeks! I can sleep now!! haha

November 6, 2014 at 9:30 pm
  • Reply ange

It turned out beautifully! I love your headboard, maybe you should have done mine as well. The dressers with gold handles are perfect too! Enjoy your new bedroom, all your hard work paid off!

November 6, 2014 at 8:04 am

Thanks, Ange!! Your headboard is completely amazing, by the way!

November 6, 2014 at 9:34 pm
  • Reply Nana Chiarinelli

Amei amei amei amei amei amei amei amei!!! Divino!!!
    Mais do que “quarto de revista”, parece um quarto “inspiração do Pinterest” heheheh
    Parabéns!!!
    Tenho certeza que o trabalho foi árduo mas mais que compensador ;)
    bons sonhos pra vocês ^_^
    beijocas

November 6, 2014 at 8:32 am

Obrigada primaaa!!!! E que elogio, hein! Uau! Obrigada, mesmo! Agora sim, posso dormir bem! rsrs Beijos!!!!!

November 6, 2014 at 9:36 pm
  • Reply Tash @ The Dreamhouse Project

You guys!!! I’m SO so proud of you! All your hard work paid off in the best way! Your bedroom looks fantastic! I love Love LOVE that headboard. So glad you opted for the white buttons. It looks amazing. It must feel so good to have it all done. Way to go!

November 6, 2014 at 9:10 am

Thanks so much, Tash!!! You’ve been such an awesome cheerleader these past 6 weeks! Oh, and I’m also SO glad I went for white… phew!

November 6, 2014 at 9:37 pm
  • Reply Johanna

IT LOOKS SO GOOD OMG!!! I can’t even, as the Internet folks would say.
    Truly, what a gorgeous, cozy, elegant space you’ve created Thalita! All your hard work has definitely been worth it, it looks stunning.

November 6, 2014 at 10:35 am

hahahaha I love that you just said “I can’t even!” Thanks so much, Johanna!

November 6, 2014 at 9:38 pm
  • Reply Vanessa

Oh, it looks SO good! What a ton of work! You should be insanely proud!!! I can’t believe what a change in those dressers as well! Top marks from all the judges ;)

November 6, 2014 at 10:37 am

Can you believe it’s over? It feels so good! Thanks a million, Vanessa!!! It’s been so great following all of these journeys along over the past 6 weeks and having people like you cheering me on every week!!!

November 6, 2014 at 9:39 pm
  • Reply Jen @ RamblingRenovators

A huge success Thalita! The flow of the room is so much better and it looks inviting and cozy. Well done! Hope you’re enjoying a good night’s sleep in your new room.

November 6, 2014 at 11:03 am

Thank you thank you thank you, Jen! I did have a room designed by you as an inspiration image, so I gotta give you some credit in this room ;)

November 6, 2014 at 9:40 pm
  • Reply Shannon

This is gorgeous! I love the throw at the foot of the bed!

November 6, 2014 at 11:14 am

Thanks, Shannon!!! I kind of want to cocoon myself in the throw and sleep for the next 6 weeks to recover! haha

November 6, 2014 at 9:41 pm
  • Reply Annabode.

This is just lovely. I really like the gray quilt / coverlet!

November 6, 2014 at 11:43 am

Thanks so much!! It was one of those lucky HomeSense finds :)

November 6, 2014 at 9:42 pm
  • Reply Anonymous

I’ve been excited for this post to come!! It looks amazing! Love every last detail!!

November 6, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Thank you, thank you! xoxo

November 6, 2014 at 9:43 pm
  • Reply Raven Corwin, aka Meggie

So I see the first photo and literally said out loud, “No way!” It’s gorgeous!!!! You guys did so amazing! Your inspiration picture looks amateur compared to what you accomplished. Love the curtains for the closet. All the fabric makes it so warm and sensuous. I thought, “they need an Eiffel tower in there”, and then I noticed it on the shelf. hehe Those dressers are beautiful. Your headboard is fabulous. I love all the very personal, meaningful bits in the room- the perfect room of the house for them. The trunk is the perfect, the lights, the stripes… all bring a bit of masculinity to the room. It can be hard to balance the feminine and masculine in a bedroom, but you did it. I want those dressers, Thalita! hehe You guys rocked it!

November 6, 2014 at 1:00 pm

HAHA your comments always make me laugh! I have to say, the curtains were originally meant just to be able to open up the closet (since our doors sucked), and now I love them for their softness and no longer want to replace them with new doors!

Oh and you know I HAD to include an Eiffel tower in there!!

I never thought of the feminine/masculine balance, but it makes me so happy that you saw that in the room!!! Now that you point it out, I see it!!!

You’ll have to fight me for the dressers. hahaha kidding!

Thanks so much for your always awesome words!!!!

November 6, 2014 at 9:46 pm
  • Reply Julia at Home on 129 Acres

You got it done! Congratulations. It looks awesome. So super cozy and personal and polished. I hear you on the post-4pm pictures. I had to reshoot a few of mine in the morning before work, and the sun was up, but there definitely wasn’t enough light. Gotta love November in Canada. At least you now have a cozy spot to curl up and escape from November!

November 6, 2014 at 1:07 pm

I did!! I don’t really know how, but it happened! Thanks so much, Julia!

I am dying to retake the photos in daylight, though I love the glow of the room in the evening – it just doesn’t translate well into photos, though!

November 6, 2014 at 9:48 pm
  • Reply JANINE

It all looks so great! I’ve been so excited for this post!! Every detail is perfect!! Where is the quilt from?!
    and the blue vase on your dresser?! … LOVE it all!! You did such a great job

November 6, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Janine, I love that you were excited for it – that brings a huge smile to my face!

The quilt was a lucky find at Homesense – just the actual quilt, no shams, but I loved it so much I didn’t even care!

That blue vase is from Chapters/Indigo! They always have such amazing home decor items!

Thanks so much for the kind words!

November 6, 2014 at 9:49 pm
  • Reply Annet M

Looks really great! What a difference!

November 6, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Thanks, Annet! I am so happy to be rid of the yellow walls!

November 6, 2014 at 9:50 pm
  • Reply sarahsofiaproductions

Thalita, what a beautiful master retreat you’ve created! I love the vintage dresser and night stand! You’ve really maximized your space with adding the shelf above the bed to display art work! The trunk at the foot of the bed completes the look with new accent rug! BRAVO on job well done! It’s been fun being in ORC with you, especially with your love of thrifting and DIY!

November 6, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Thanks so much Sarah!! I think one of my favourite things about the ORC has been “getting to know” new bloggers and following along with all the amazing work they’ve all been doing. All that to say, you’re one of them, obvi! Excited that I get to keep following your great projects from now on!

November 6, 2014 at 9:52 pm
  • Reply Vanessa@Decor Happy

Your hard work paid off in spades! It looks great Thalita. And I can’t believe you tufted the headboard yourself – amazing! Your vintage dresser looks fab in the grey with the gold hardware. PS Thanks for your blog comment – it made me laugh out loud!

November 6, 2014 at 9:24 pm
  • Reply Sabrina (@pinklilnotebook)

It looks amazing!!! All your hard work definitely shows and I’m loving all your details. Great job girly!!

November 6, 2014 at 11:05 pm
  • Reply susanmsykes

Congrats Thalita! You worked SO hard on this and it looks great. The dressers are gorgeous! You must be thrilled…sweet dreams!

November 6, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Thanks, Sue!!! It didn’t look like it would get done, but I’m so glad we made it!

November 10, 2014 at 2:15 pm
  • Reply Helen

Stunning, just stunning. Congratulations on the amazing transformation!!

November 7, 2014 at 5:05 am

Thanks so much, Helen!!! xo

November 10, 2014 at 2:16 pm
  • Reply lauraingallsgunn

Wow~ An absolutely stunning space! I love the dresser. As a fellow 6 week participant the six weeks was indeed a challenge and you rose up. Well done!

November 7, 2014 at 10:38 am

Wasn’t it just insane?!?! Want to know the craziest bit? I can’t wait to do it again! haha Thanks so much, Laura!

November 10, 2014 at 2:18 pm
  • Reply Sam @ Away She Went

Fabulous! Those dressers are amazing! Now enjoy the weekend off! =)

November 7, 2014 at 11:27 am

Thank you, Sam! Oh, did I ever enjoy a weekend with no projects! :)

November 10, 2014 at 2:18 pm
  • Reply Michelle @ Eamonn & Jack

Congrats Thalita on a fabulous makeover. I’m loving your dresser – the grey and gold are simply stunning together! I head you on how much work a DIY headboard is, but the hard work and painful fingers are so worth it – the results are stellar. i love how all the art in your room has a personal meaning – the master bedroom is perfect to display all your pieces!

November 7, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Thanks so much, Michelle! I want grey and gold everywhere now! haha
      You’re right – the painful fingertips for 4 days were worth it!!!

November 10, 2014 at 2:21 pm
  • Reply Frances @ Improvement List

Wow. The room looks so good. I love how you placed the dressers beside the bed and they look great grey.

November 7, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Thanks, Frances! I wasn’t sure a high dresser would work, but I love it and the extra storage is amazing to have!

November 10, 2014 at 2:22 pm
  • Reply mrs. V | Chez V

Congratulations on finishing strong. You must love retreating to this room. Enjoy!

November 8, 2014 at 10:00 am

Thank you! I am beyond pleased to be rid of yellow walls :)

November 10, 2014 at 2:22 pm
  • Reply sherry hart

Yes! I think it was very successful! What a difference….love all of the special moments with art etc….I think you are smart not to fill it up with too much furniture and the curtains were a lovely addition.

November 8, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Thank you, Sherry! It’s so tempting to just put more furniture in if it can fit, but having the space to move around in is so much better!

November 10, 2014 at 2:23 pm
  • Reply Rachelia G

Wow, I love how it came out! Great job! I love how everything has a place, and what is highlighted in your room has a meaning.

November 8, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Thank you, Rachelia! (Amazing name, by the way!) It’s such a relief to look at artwork and not yucky yellow walls :)

November 10, 2014 at 2:25 pm
  • Reply Linda @ Calling it Home

Faboooo! I just showed those reading lights to my daughter, and we both love them. Great job. It’s raining today, so I would love to hang out in that bed with a book.

November 9, 2014 at 10:32 am

Thanks so so so so much, Linda!!! And thank you for hosting this challenge. I already can’t wait to do it again!

November 10, 2014 at 2:26 pm
  • Reply The Pink Pagoda

Thalita, it looks wonderful! I love the rugs you put on both sides of the bed, they look so cozy!! What a great transformation, good job! :)

November 10, 2014 at 11:33 am

Thanks so much! The rugs are SO nice to step on in the chilly mornings! And our pup loves it too :)

November 10, 2014 at 2:26 pm
  • Reply Janine

Thanks!! I have an addiction to Chapters/Indigo!! It’s kinda getting outta hand… lol Almost every couple weeks I find something else I love and order it, usually their prints, love ’em!! You’re so sweet to always reply! :)

November 10, 2014 at 11:46 am
  • Reply Delia @songthatdoesntend

Great job! I hopeyou’ll enjoy your happy space.

November 10, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Thanks Delia!! Definitely enjoying it now. Such a difference!

November 10, 2014 at 3:38 pm
  • Reply Emily @ Two Purple Couches

C’est magnifique, Thalita!!!!! Your dressers turned out beautifully, and that trunk is absolute perfection at the end of your bed!! I am so impressed that you made and tufted your own headboard! Can’t wait to see that tutorial :) You’ve inspired me to make that final push and finish up my own bedroom :)

November 10, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Thanks so much, Em!!!! The headboard was such a pain to make (literally, but so worth it in the end! I can’t wait to see what your room will look like!!! It’s going to be amazing :)

November 11, 2014 at 6:07 am
  • Reply Laurie@ Vin'yet Etc.

I love it all, it looks so grown up and sophisticated! Can’t wait to see the tutorial on that head board! :D

November 13, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Thanks so much, Laurie! Headboard tutorial just posted today, so you’re in luck ;)

November 13, 2014 at 7:36 pm
  • Reply Kasey Gary

Those lamps by the bed! I want some! Where are those from? Great job!

November 14, 2014 at 9:15 am

Thanks, Kasey! They are actually from Ikea! The name is RANARP :)

November 16, 2014 at 8:55 pm
  • Reply One Room Challenge™ Spring 2015, Week 2 - The Learner Observer

[…] all removed, we got started on laying the laminate floors – the same ones that we used in the master bedroom makeover, and will be used throughout the second floors of the […]

April 9, 2015 at 8:01 am
  • Reply The Learner Observer - DIY Tufted Leather Headboard [& Giveaway!]

[…] all being said, you may have seen the full bedroom reveal already, but today you get the details on the headboard. Why the headboard first? Because of the […]

May 20, 2016 at 5:09 pm
  • Reply The Learner Observer - One Room Challenge: Laundry Room (Week 1) - The Learner Observer

[…] Bedroom | Office | Nursery | Powder Room […]