One Room Challenge

One Room Challenge 2014: The Master Bedroom

It’s October 1st. For the last two years, October first has only meant one thing to me: anxiety about the amount of work I have just signed myself up for because of the 31-Day Series! This year is different for one reason – I’m not writing for 31 days straight, but I am still experiencing the anxiety over how much work I have just signed up for!One Room ChallengeHave you heard of the One Room Challenge? It’s a 6-week challenge to start and (hopefully) finish decorating a room in your home. Calling it Home started it, and she’s kind of my hero for doing this. Check out this post about what the challenge is and why you should do it. There’s a link party and everything. I’ve watched so many bloggers complete this challenge and this was just the push I needed to get my butt in gear and actually decorate the upstairs of our house. Starting with the master bedroom!

I have a few ideas ready for inspiration, and I even made a list last night of all the things that need to be done. List first, pictures later. Here we go.

Things to do (prep):

• remove closet doors
  • remove baseboard
  • screw plywood down (to eliminate creeks)
  • remove curtains & rods
  • remove carpet from closet
  • move bed and clothing to another room

It’s a lot of removing stuff, I know!

Things to (actually) do:

• pick a paint colour and paint the room
  • move closet shelf up and paint inside
  • install laminate floors
  • put in new baseboard

Things to buy/make/hack

• headboard
  • curtains
  • mirrors
  • sconces on wall
  • art
  • dressers (x2)
  • rug(s)

Is it a long list? I don’t even know. And some of these items are suuuuper vague – hello, headboard? Yeah… I have ideas, and they’re not all that vague, but I don’t want to share too much just yet! There has to be a little mystery right?

And with that said, here are some of my inspiration images… to really cut that whole mystery thing right out!

master-br-5

YARl5wcgeKzX6w-monu4YfP6HdJey4-Wxr5HeW9OVnM-600x425

house-beautiful-mismatched-nightstands

home-tour-26-e1373913036909

gray-blue-bedroom-wood-ceiling

corynne-pless-bedroom1

bedrtoom 1

506ae8b0fb04d60a470010e2._w.500_h.625_s.fit_

52e98a15697ab0791d005039._w.1000_h.1000_s.fit_

rental-bedroom-15

Sources: 123456789 – 10

So what do these 10 photos tell you? Probably that I love light walls, tufted headboards and mismatched bedside tables.

All true things!

I have a lot of work ahead of me, and don’t worry – by  next week you’ll see what the bedroom looks like. It’s crazy right now, I can tell you that much. Wallpaper peeling on the closet doors, too-short curtains and plywood floors. We’re living like royalty over here!

Wish me luck, friends!

• Reply Steph

I can’t wait to see this come together!

October 1, 2014 at 8:17 am

Thanks, Steph! I’m not sure whether to be excited or scared for all this work in 6 weeks!!

October 1, 2014 at 5:07 pm
  • Reply Vanessa

Oooh, this is exciting! Love your inspiration images. Dana’s bedroom is definitely one of mine too! I might have to join in on this challenge next time! Can’t wait to see what you do.

October 1, 2014 at 8:26 am

Thanks, Vanessa!! You should totally do it… though what do I know? This is my first time and I don’t even know what I’m doing! haha

October 1, 2014 at 5:08 pm
  • Reply Julia at Home on 129 Acres

Is it weird that when I saw the gold ORC logo, I thought of you? It totally matches your blog. I think that means you’re meant to participate… and everything will go wonderfully! I’m doing the ORC too for the first time and am quite excited.

October 1, 2014 at 8:50 am

YES! Not that it’s weird you thought of me and the blog – that’s actually kind of awesome. YES to you’re doing it too!!!! I love that I’ll have one more blogging buddy in this with me. Can’t wait to see what you do!

October 1, 2014 at 5:12 pm
  • Reply Lara

I can’t wait to see it all come together! Tufted headboards are an absolute favourite!!!

October 1, 2014 at 9:36 am

Thanks, girl!!! Fingers crossed this headboard thing works haha!

October 1, 2014 at 5:25 pm
  • Reply Emily @ Two Purple Couches

Ooh, you are totally going to rock this Thalita! I’m in the midst of a bedroom makeover myself, and these inspiration photos you pulled are renewing my energy & my vision :) I cannot wait to see what you do!!

October 1, 2014 at 10:32 am

Aw shucks, thanks Em! I am suuuuuper excited to see your master makeover! So far your windows are looking amazing and you have awesome taste, so it’s gonna be incredible :)

October 1, 2014 at 5:26 pm
      • Reply Emily @ Two Purple Couches

Awww, thanks girl! I hope it all comes together the way it looks in my head! It may end up being a big, colorful mess! Ha!

October 1, 2014 at 11:29 pm
  • Reply Anonymous

Love the ideas. I picked myself the one with the gold frames mirrors. I am so excited to see the next 31 days

October 1, 2014 at 11:53 am

Yep, those mirrors are awesome, right? :)

October 1, 2014 at 5:29 pm
  • Reply Lesley Metcalfe

Love your inspiration photos! Sounds like a lot of work, but I know you will get through it all. :)

October 5, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Thanks, Lesley! A bit overwhelming for my first ORC, but it’s the kick in the butt I needed to get this started!

October 15, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Way to go, girl! And way to give yourself grace in not feeling obligated to do the 31 Day Challenge. While you know I was seriously contemplating it at one point this year, I quickly realized that if I wanted to get this eBook published by November AND have some semblance of sanity, it was going to be a NO GO for me this year. But maybe someday. In the meantime, I’m excited to follow along with this awesome One Room Challenge. You always gather the most inspirational images around…and I can only imagine what other creative ideas are rattling around in that pretty head of yours. I know it promises to be awe-inspiring. SIDE NOTE: Love your new site design! It’s probably not even that new anymore – – I’ve just been a slacker in the bloglovin’ department. But it’s fantastic, girl! So fresh and elegant.

October 10, 2014 at 2:12 am

Yeah, this wasn’t the right year or month for a 31-day challenge. It was a hard decision to make, but the right one in the end. We can agree to try again next year? haha I LOVE following along with your e-book progress and I know it’s going to be amazing!

Oh and hey, thanks for the mention on the blog design! Bloglovin’ and I aren’t friends right now, so I’m missing out on all your awesomeness these days, but I will get caught up. I just repeated those last 5 words to myself like 10 times. It’s gonna happen!

October 15, 2014 at 9:38 pm