IMG_1224

One Room Challenge 2014: Week 4

So this post is a day late, but it’s been a weird week. I can’t even explain it… it’s just one of those weeks where time seems to slip away from you and next thing you know it’s Friday and you have no idea how.

Anywho, let’s see what happened this week, shall we? Note this is a picture heavy post!

The dresser is allllllmost finished. The big stuff is done – it’s been stripped and repainted!

IMG_1039

These drawers needed a LOT of help, and it took FOREVER to strip the paint off of them.

IMG_1084

The blue came off so easily – no idea why! It just melted right off, which made me wish the whole thing was blue!

IMG_1081

Here it is, after about 5 hours of work!

IMG_1110

I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Paris Grey, and the whole thing took about an hour for all drawers, the frame and two coats of paint! I mean, that’s amazing!

IMG_1137

I did a little more painting this week… despite almost everyone telling me not to paint my giant lampshade, I did it anyway! First, a coat of gold spray paint on the inside and the trim, then two coats of Fusion paint in Coal Black.

IMG_1072

IMG_1074

IMG_1086

IMG_1220

You have no idea how happy I am that this worked! I have never tried anything like it, but before ripping out the fabric to re-cover it, I had to try paint. Next, a chandelier makeover!

IMG_1221

IMG_1222

IMG_1224

What do you think?

Oh while we’re at it, let me ask you one more thing. I bought a jewelry box last week, but it has these wood parts on it, and I don’t understand what they’re for. Anyone know?

IMG_1216

I’m thinking about filling them in before I paint it. Good idea, or bad idea?

IMG_1217

I have so much work to do this week. I have no idea how I’m going to manage to get this room back together in two weeks!!! Why did I decide to make my own headboard again? Ugh…

If you haven’t seen the other weeks yet, you can see them here:

Week 1Week 2Week 3  and while you’re at it, check out the other people joining in on this crazy challenge over at Calling it Home!

Wish me luck, my friends! I need soooo much of it!

• Reply Kristen S

I think the wood bits were maybe to lay bracelets or watches over? NO IDEA!
    Wood fill, light sand and paint away!

October 24, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Right? I’ve seen desk organizers with those in them for paper, but I’m pretty sure this is for jewelry. Unless I’m totally wrong. If I am, that’s too bad because this thing is going to become a jewelry box!

October 25, 2014 at 7:18 am
  • Reply Julia at Home on 129 Acres

Everything’s going to come together. The dresser looks fabulous. The lampshade is amazing. The jewelery box is odd, but it will be awesome. I’d say yes to filling the holes, although I’m sure someone out there has an idea of something neat that could go in them.
    Let’s hear it for a ORC weekend. I think there’s a few of us who are going to be DIYing our hearts out.

October 24, 2014 at 11:46 pm

Thanks Julia! The box IS odd…but I’m determined to make it work :) And yes – major ORC weekend happening!!!

October 25, 2014 at 7:34 am
  • Reply Helen

Thalia, the wood slats on your jewellery box are letter holders. It appears the top of the box is a catch-all for loose change, etc. I’m with Julia, fill in the holes or put up some acrylic plates (with holes) to hold earrings or necklaces.

p.s. Your painted chest of drawers is STUNNING! Wondering if you’d consider getting “crystal” ball pulls for the drawers?

From Lowes:

Good luck with whatever you decide! Keep up the great work.

October 25, 2014 at 5:34 am

Helen, is this just about the most amazing and detailed comment ever? I think so! In all honesty, I haven’t at all decided on hardware. But that really needs to happen and those crystal knobs are amazing!!!!!Thanks so much! So helpful!

October 25, 2014 at 7:36 am
      • Reply Helen

Thalita, my apologies for misspelling your name.

Also, I was chided by two friends for sending you to a retail store for the dresser hardware. You could also try the Habitat stores or The Salvage Shoppe which is on Kingston Road. (Nice stuff!!).

Good luck!

October 26, 2014 at 7:36 am
  • Reply Sabrina S

I’m totally in love with your lamp shade. It looks amazing! I would fill the holes on the jewellery box unless you want to stick pegs in them and use it as ring holders ;P

October 25, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Thanks, Sabrina!! Also, genius idea with the pegs!!!

October 27, 2014 at 3:02 pm
  • Reply Raven Corwin, aka Meggie

Looking great! I love the lampshade and think you made the right choice to go for it. That jewelry box isn’t. It’s a valet, used by men for loose change, keys, wallet, whatever papers they jam into their pocket during the day… a catch-all + manly box for them to keep their cuff links, watches, etc. I know you could do something adorable and useful with it. I might consider getting some crystal soap dishes to glue into the shallows if you want it for yourself. Make it a little girlier and have better place for girl stuff. :)

October 27, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Oh my gosh you are a pool of knowledge!!! I just assumed jewelry because it was with other jewelry boxes. Makes so much sense now! Thank you!!!!

October 27, 2014 at 3:06 pm
      • Reply Raven Corwin, aka Meggie

With age comes knowledge, my dear :) Now… what are you going to do with it? hehe Is that a future blog post of its own I see brewing?

October 27, 2014 at 4:27 pm
  • Reply sdowd39

Wow, I love the dresser – what a beautiful transformation!!! I love Paris Grey! And the light fixture is beautiful! Great work!
    Shelia

October 28, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Thanks, Sheila! This was my first time using Paris Grey, but it won’t be the last :)

October 30, 2014 at 7:14 am
  • Reply Emily @ Two Purple Couches

What a genius move on that lampshade! It looks incredible now! Does it give off a soft gold glow when it’s on? I’d like to think that it does, because that sounds lovely :)
    I realize that you’ve already posted the reveal, but I’m trying to work my way up to it and not jump ahead ;)

November 10, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Thanks Emily! Hilarious that you’re working up to the reveal. The light fixture does give off a glowy light, which is oh so lovely in here!

November 10, 2014 at 3:40 pm
  • Reply One Room Challengeā„¢ Spring 2015, Week 4

[…] think this happened last time, too with the master bedroom makeover, but right now I can’t even think that far back. All I can think about is the mess in front […]

April 23, 2015 at 6:00 am