One Room Challenge Fall 2015 – Week 1

Hello friends! Guess what’s happening this week???

ORC Guest Black

Can you believe I’m back for another round of the One Room Challenge? I can hardly believe it myself. I feel like I have been waiting for this Fall challenge to start for SO long… like since we announced that we were expecting! So true to our announcement, we’re working on the nursery this round, and I could not be more excited. This is very likely the most exciting room I have yet to make over – but I probably say that every time, right? We’ll also be tackling a bathroom reno simultaneously, so wish me all of the luck, please!

Now let’s get to it. Here’s what the room looked like when we announced:

IMG_6162

It was pretty much empty, except for the things we had been storing in there. Not much has changed other than the flooring – and no, I didn’t cheat and start any projects early. We literally just removed the carpet last weekend! Oh, and yes, I did add more paint samples because I really didn’t like 3 of the 4 we had up there before!

Nursery Before - 1

Nursery Before - 2The other side of the room isn’t quite empty yet… but that’s on the list for next week! You can also catch a glimpse of the madness in the hallway and the SUPER yellow bathroom I mentioned earlier.

Nursery Before - 4

Because I completely failed to take a picture of the other side of the room, here’s one that shows you a peek of what the windows look like. They’re pretty high, so I’m not sure about having curtains in this room. I have a feeling they wouldn’t really work…

Nursery Before - 5

So what are the plans for this room? Here’s a little mockup of the room – which may change ever so sightly!

Nursery mood board

It looks like a bit of a mess at the moment, but try to imagine more neutral bedding and cribs somewhere other than the middle of the room. haha! Actually, picture just one crib because we won’t have both in there just yet.

I actually made a list this time around so that I can keep my sanity because given how pregnant, hormonal and in full-blown nesting mode I am, I need as much sanity as I can get!

WEEK 1:

• remove carpet and trim
  • prep walls for painting
  • decide on a paint colour
  • remove closet doors

WEEK 2:

• install laminate flooring
  • empty closet
  • remove closet door frame and carpet
  • paint walls
  • install baseboards

WEEK 3:

• figure out closet organization
  • decide on artwork for walls and/or accent wall (wallpaper or DIY)
  • window treatments
  • cut & paint door
  • final decision on pillows and linens

WEEK 4:

• finish installing door
  • put the crib together
  • frame artwork
  • mobile (buy or DIY?)
  • decide on final plan for furniture placement

WEEK 5:

• move all furniture in
  • finish arranging all artwork
  • install book ledges
  • complete all finishing touches – the fun part!

WEEK 6:

• NOTHING! We’re done. Now it’s time for the reveal!

Alright, so that’s that! Make sure to check out what the 20 super talented participants are up to, and check out the Thursday link party to see what the rest of us are up to!

Are any of you tackling a One Room Challenge this time? Let me know in the comments so I can look for you in the link party and we can follow each other on Instagram!

• Reply Johanna | Marvelous Musings

Katie over at Life with a dash of Whismsy did a DIY mobile a few weeks ago with reall cute felt balls – maybe something to check out?
    I also really love this one: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/195484440050187922/ – maybe with less girly shapes ;)

Good luck!

October 8, 2015 at 7:09 am

You are so amazing for sharing that. Thank you!!!!!

October 8, 2015 at 12:38 pm
  • Reply Kristi

SO excited to have the chance to follow along with your new nursery!!! LOVE where you’re going with it!

October 8, 2015 at 8:21 am

Thanks so much, Kristi! I am so excited to decorate for boys! Definitely a new challenge :)

October 8, 2015 at 12:36 pm
  • Reply Vanessa@Decor Happy

A nursery and a bathroom reno – you crazy girl! Can’t wait to follow along on the nursery progress. How exciting to be creating a room for your twins! xo

October 8, 2015 at 8:52 am

Seriously, whose idea was this anyway? Oh right… all mine! haha

October 8, 2015 at 12:36 pm
  • Reply Lesley Metcalfe

I love your plan! Can’t wait to see how this unfolds. So glad we are participating together again, we will support each other through this! xo

October 8, 2015 at 9:41 am

Thanks, Lesley!! I love that you’re also doing this again. And yes, we’ll be good support systems for one another. We both know how much that’s needed when you get to week 4 and nothing seems to be going to plan! haha (always the case, isn’t it?!)

October 8, 2015 at 12:35 pm
  • Reply christinedovey

Oh my goodness…TWINS!!!! Congratulations- so so exciting!!!!! Your room plan is so pretty- can’t wait to follow:)

October 8, 2015 at 10:37 am

Thanks so much, Christine!! I’m excited for the challenge of decorating for two boys, that’s for sure!

October 8, 2015 at 12:34 pm
  • Reply angelanelson852602517

You made a list?!??! You are so organized! I can’t wait to see this room completed but better yet, I cant’ wait for those babies to arrive!!!

October 8, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Oh it’s one of many lists. It helps me cope with how many things we still need to finish! Haha Thanks for following along, Angela!

October 9, 2015 at 7:52 pm
  • Reply Michelle

Two rooms at the same time? You are brave! I love that your pup is just sitting there waiting for you to begin!

October 8, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Brave and a little crazy?!? Haha yep! He’s always got to be in the center of everything, you know?

October 9, 2015 at 7:53 pm
  • Reply heyitsfitzy

So exciting! Can’t wait to see the new room designed with love for your precious babies! Congratulations!

October 8, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Thanks so much!!! I’m excited for the challenge to decorate for two boys!

October 9, 2015 at 7:54 pm
  • Reply Sabrina @ Pink Little Notebook

You’re so organized! Love it!
    I’m so excited to see this nursery come together:) Planning for one is hard enough, I can’t even imagine two. You rock :)

October 8, 2015 at 8:16 pm

Thanks, Sabrina! Honestly, if it wasn’t for making lists of everything we need to do, I’m not sure I’d remember it all! And you’ll be putting a nursery together so soon, too!!! Exciting!!!

October 9, 2015 at 8:01 pm
  • Reply Hollie Cooper

Twins are the best & it’s not as crazy as people lead on – I know first hand! I really like you design plan & the hardwood you chose. I look forward to following. Hollie

October 9, 2015 at 8:07 pm

That you just said it’s not as crazy as people lead on is probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said about having twins! I always hear so much negative. Thanks so much for following along, Hollie!

October 10, 2015 at 8:53 am
  • Reply karolinabarnes

Congratulations! How exciting and what a great nursery it’s going to be. Love your colour scheme. Very calming yet interesting and stylish! Karolina xx

October 10, 2015 at 4:34 am

Thanks so much, Karolina! We really want this room to be soothing for the boys, so fingers crossed it works!!!

October 10, 2015 at 8:54 am
  • Reply Julia at Home on 129 Acres

Yay! Excited to see this room come together. And I’m looking forward to reading regular posts from you. Good luck!

October 11, 2015 at 11:06 pm

Thanks so much, Julia! It’s been a very slow 6 months of blogging. Kind of happy to be back in the swing of things, even if it’s just temporary!

October 12, 2015 at 6:25 am
  • Reply Corinna - A Designer At Home

Ohmygoodness that nursery plan is perfection! I’m excited for you for lots and lots of reasons! I hope everything pans out for you :)

October 13, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Thanks so much!!! It feels like we’re so far away from getting anything actually back into the room, but it’s always like this with these One Room Challenges. Fingers crossed it all works!

October 14, 2015 at 5:45 pm
  • Reply Erin @ the-organized-life

Congratulations! What a fun room to do for the ORC! Good luck!

October 15, 2015 at 12:59 am

Thanks, Erin! I’m excited to get to the fun part ;)

October 16, 2015 at 6:25 am
  • Reply One Room Challenge Fall 2015 - Week 3

[…] put in, but that’s literally it! If you want to see where we started, check out weeks 1 and […]

October 22, 2015 at 3:43 am
  • Reply The Learner Observer - Twin Nursery Reveal [Finally!]

[…] and pregnant with twins. Overachiever, much? (You can see the weeks I DID manage to get through here, here, here and […]

August 8, 2016 at 10:00 pm