One Room Challenge: Powder Room (Week 1)

The title of this post should be “That time I lost my mind and decided to participate in the One Room Challenge even though I’m not even living in my house yet and it’s under major renovations plus I have twins who are crawling everywhere and basically no time to do anything.” But having a title that long is bananas.

Anyway, I’m doing it. The One Room Challenge, that is.

One Room Challenge

You may remember I attempted this last Fall, and I failed. I tried to complete the twins’ nursery while also going through a bathroom renovation at our last house. Oh yeah, and I was 7 months pregnant with twins, so… I didn’t exactly have endless amounts of energy. Anyway, pity party over because it’s time to tackle another ORC and actually make it through to the end!

If you don’t know what the One Room Challenge is, check out Calling It Home for all the details. And if you want to see the other times I did manage to complete a room, you can see my Master Bedroom and Office makeovers!

Now let’s get to THIS challenge.

Any guesses as to which room it is?

I mean, I DO have a whole house to renovate (if you’ve been keeping up with my Insta-feed, you can see it all there!).

Alright, let’s see if you guessed right.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

It’s the powder room! That’s right, I’m tackling the smallest room in the house with NO SHAME!

In the spirit of keeping it real and and all that, I’m going to show you how the room has already evolved.

the-learner-observer-one-room-challenge-powder-room-1-of-1

I mean, it’s already so much improved that I feel like I could call it a day and just say “it’s finished.” But of course, I’m only kidding.

Here’s a bit more of this teeny tiny space (it’s like 30 square feet).

the-learner-observer-one-room-challenge-powder-room-2-of-4

the-learner-observer-one-room-challenge-powder-room-4-of-4

That’s probably all I really need to show you, right? Because there’s not much more to see! Ok, so what are my plans for this room? Well you can already see part of it. Shiplap. If you hate shiplap we probably can’t be friends. Just kidding! Yes we can! I’d like to think these horizontal panels are a little different, though. We went with 8-inch panels of 1/4-inch thick MDF with a pretty substantial gap in between them. I’m loving the look (which is also in the family room right next door) and the fact that it’s covering up all that stucco!

So what else can you expect to see? A little of this:

the-learner-observer-one-room-challenge-powder-room

INSPIRATION IMAGES: LEFT & RIGHT

I don’t really know what to call this look, I just know I want the room to look a little larger than it is, and I want it to have some kind of funny/witty/punny surprise in it somewhere. I don’t know what that will look like yet, but rest assured you’ll be the first to know about it right here!

I also need to figure out potential artwork for that one wall in the room? I don’t know yet. Yikes!

Ok, so give me ALL of your thoughts. Seriously. All of them!

Keep up with progress over on Instagram and don’t forget to check out Calling It Home for all the ORC updates!

• Reply by Brittany Goldwyn

Every time I see that photo with the black door on Pinterest, I die a little bit. I love that floor!

October 5, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Right?!? Black doors get me every time. Thanks so much, Brittany! We live this tile so much that this is our second home getting it installed. :)

October 7, 2016 at 9:13 am
  • Reply simple nature decor

Wow love the textures for the bath, it reminds me of a luxury boutique hotel bathroom, so chic, can’t wait to see the more posts. Maria

October 5, 2016 at 8:00 pm

Thanks so much, Maria! And I love the sound of that… luxury boutique! oooooooh!

October 7, 2016 at 9:14 am
  • Reply Raven Corwin, aka Meggie

Artwork for the wall…. well, since you’ve used ship-lap and are considering brass finishes, why not boats? I love the look for the tiny prints on your inspiration photo (top left). Maybe a series of boats of similar style? Or the same image in different colours/finishes? Something simple, stylized and modern. I’d probably do something botanical (cause that’s just me), but I get the feeling you might want to be less traditional than that. WARNING: I might send you some ideas on Pinterest :) hehe

October 5, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Love it Love it Love it!!!!!!!! Now to go vintage shopping for authentic boat prints or paintings. FUN!

October 5, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Thanks so much for your input. I love the idea of boats especially since we’re actually living so close to a lake now! Botanicals are always lovely also, and tempting because I could get a little girlier (something that’ll be hard to do being outnumbered by boys). Ha!

October 7, 2016 at 9:16 am
  • Reply Kristi

Ahhhh Thalita, it’s going to be amazing! Cannot wait to follow along!

October 5, 2016 at 11:21 pm

Thanks so much, Kristi!!!

October 7, 2016 at 9:16 am
  • Reply ashley@biggerthanthethreeofus

ooooh, can’t wait to see more. Love the design plan!

October 6, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Thanks, Ashley!! Fingers crossed I make it this time!

October 7, 2016 at 9:18 am
  • Reply Brit -House Updated

Already looking so good Thalita! Love your inspiration too. This is going to be gooood.

October 6, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Thanks so much, Brit! Black and white gets me every time ;)

October 7, 2016 at 9:18 am
  • Reply Lesley Metcalfe (@lesleymetcalfe_)

You’re so crazy for joining, I love it! Don’t you find that the busier you are, the more you get done? I do. I’m so glad we’re both doing another round of ORC together!

October 6, 2016 at 3:53 pm

I definitely am crazy! Hahaha and yes, at my busiest I’m often also most motivated. It’s weird! So glad to be doing this thing along with you yet again!!!!

October 7, 2016 at 9:19 am
  • Reply Amanda

Can’t wait to see how it comes together! I’m using the same floor tile for my master bathroom reno right now! :)

October 7, 2016 at 9:51 am

Great minds, right? ;)

October 7, 2016 at 10:04 am
  • Reply Ariel

I’m not usually a barn board fan, but I think with your style and in this space it’s going to be fantastic! Can’t wait!

October 8, 2016 at 12:47 pm

Thanks, girl! ;)

October 10, 2016 at 1:19 pm
  • Reply 2beesinapod

We love your inspiration board. You definitely are a champ for doing this in a construction zone with twins! Can’t wait to follow along!

October 8, 2016 at 6:48 pm

Thanks so much, ladies!!! Some days definitely feel crazier than others haha

October 10, 2016 at 1:19 pm
  • Reply twopurplecouches

You are off to a fantastic start! It already looks so clean and bright, and I know you’ll add your fantastic touches over the next few weeks :) Love the basket and black door on your inspiration board!!

October 9, 2016 at 11:07 pm

Thanks so much, Em!!! I need to get my hands on that basket ASAP!

October 10, 2016 at 1:18 pm
  • Reply refashionablylate

I absolutely love this space and what you’ve done with it already! I can’t wait to see the final look!

October 10, 2016 at 1:02 pm

Thanks so much, Ruthie! Sometimes even small spaces can make a big impact – here’s hoping, anyway!

October 10, 2016 at 1:18 pm
  • Reply simple nature decor

Just got back from my hurricane evacuation and trying to catch up, you are my last one to comment and I love the shiplap, looks amazing, what a transformation from the old bathroom! Looking forward to the 2nd post. I am off trying to finish mine.
    Maria

October 11, 2016 at 11:06 am
  • Reply The Learner Observer - One Room Challenge: Powder Room (week 3)

[…] what have I done in the powder room, you ask? (You can see weeks 1 and 2 or the whole ORC history […]

October 20, 2016 at 12:06 am
  • Reply The Learner Observer - One Room Challenge: Powder Room (Week 5)

[…] about the powder room… You can see where I started by checking out weeks 1, 2 and 3, in case you’re new […]

November 3, 2016 at 11:01 am
  • Reply The Learner Observer - One Room Challenge: Powder Room (Week 6)

[…] Week 1 Week 2 Week 3 Week 5 (that’s right, I skipped week 4!) […]

November 10, 2016 at 7:50 am
  • Reply The Learner Observer - 3 ways we're working towards a more eco-friendly home - The Learner Observer

[…] to this toilet. It even LOOKS much nicer than the last one (and you can see what I mean in my One Room Challenge posts about it). This thing uses 1.28 gallons (4.8 litres) per flush, which is about 0.5 gallons (or about 1.9 […]

April 27, 2017 at 1:33 pm