ORC-LP-250x183

One Room Challenge™ Spring 2015, Week 1

You’re reading that correctly, folks – I’m doing it again! This time I’ll be tackling my office, and I am so stinkin’ happy about it because, to be honest, working in that yellow-walled, pink-carpeted room is incredibly uninspiring, and having a space of my own is going to feel mighty nice! This also means you can expect regular blog posts from me once again, which will be weird given my almost complete silence over the last little while!

ORC-LP-250x183

Ok so let’s get to it. Here is what the office looked like before I started doing any kind of work…

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

What’s happening in this corner:

– the desk will be moved (and completely transformed) to the other side
– the current wallpaper on the closet doors will be replaced, frames may be painted
– shelving to be installed inside closet for all crafty and Winter coat storage

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Happening here:

– desk will be made into a corner desk to go in that visible corner (I’ve taped where the desk will go on the carpet)
– corner floating shelves to be added above desk
– gallery wall on the left side

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Changes to be made:

– potential bookshelf beside the door (or beside the window)
– create a reading nook with a big wing chair
– hang a cage lamp from the wall or ceiling

Also happening in the entire room:

– carpet removal (done!)
– paint the walls

Speaking of painting the walls… I’m already set on the colour that will go in this room and you may have seen my selection process on Instagram

Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 9.53.00 AM

Not an easy decision! After I got the chair, however, and realized that this space really should be one that I love to be in and that reflects me, the decision got a little easier. I’ll share more next week, but here’s a peek at what may be making an appearance in the room:

office Inspiration

To give you a better idea of what the layout of the room will be, I came up with some floor plans.

IMG_4886

IMG_4887

Which plan do you like best? I’m still undecided…

Oh and if you want to see any more of my office space inspiration, follow along on Pinterest!

Follow The Learner Observer | Thalita’s board Office ideas on Pinterest.

Until next week, lovelies!!

xo

• Reply Casey @waffling

I think I like the first one, where the desk area doesnt face a wall

April 2, 2015 at 7:14 am

That’s what I love most about that floor plan!

April 5, 2015 at 6:30 pm
  • Reply Sabrina @ Pink Little Notebook

Both layouts are great! I know whichever one you choose, it’s going to look fab! Excited to follow along :)

April 2, 2015 at 8:32 am
  • Reply Kristi

Both layouts look great, but I’m digging the first one! Can’t wait to follow along!

April 2, 2015 at 10:42 am

Thanks for the input! I’m still so undecided… Open plan, or separate the spaces… Hmm

April 5, 2015 at 6:31 pm
  • Reply Vanessa@Decor Happy

I like the desk by the window for light. It will look great! (Glad to hear you are replacing the carpet. Whenever I see beautiful makeovers but they leave the dated, worn, cheap carpet, I kinda cringe. I know that sounds so snobby!)

April 2, 2015 at 3:50 pm

The window is pretty lovely for light! Also, I laughed SO hard at your comment!!! Not snobby – true! I’m on a quest to eliminate all carpet from the house. Only one more room left now!

April 5, 2015 at 6:33 pm
  • Reply Erin Meyer

Excited to follow along. Looking at everyone’s ideas gets me thinking I should tackle my whole house, one ORC at a time. I see you doing and office and I think, “Wow, our office could sure use an update.” Good luck!

April 2, 2015 at 5:19 pm

It would be a great way to tackle a whole house, that’s for sure!!!! I look at everyone’s projects and think about tackling that area of my own house – I guess that’s the danger with following all of these makeovers!

April 5, 2015 at 6:34 pm
  • Reply Tash @ The Dreamhouse Project

Either layout would be fantastic, but I think I like #2. Something about having the reading nook by the window just seems perfect! Can’t wait to see how you pull everything all together. xo

April 2, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Yep… I could sit there and watch the movement in the street for hours. Oh man. It’s going to be hard to decide haha

April 5, 2015 at 6:38 pm
  • Reply Linda @ Calling it Home

Pretty paint colors. I like #2, also.

April 2, 2015 at 7:08 pm

Thanks, Linda!!!! I do like how open #2 is!

April 5, 2015 at 6:38 pm
  • Reply Jill @ The Rozy Home

I think they are both good options but I seem to gravitate towards the first. And I’m doing my office too! :)

April 2, 2015 at 7:24 pm

Thanks, Jill!!!! And thanks for the input. Now I want to go see your office plans :)

April 5, 2015 at 6:40 pm
  • Reply Julia at Home on 129 Acres

I like layout #1, but I think layout #2 might be more useful. You might feel a bit cramped with the desk pushing you back into the corner. And more floor space might come in handy for projects etc. Looking forward to more posts!

April 2, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Oh Julia, you are so right. I do like the idea of the open space. Also, I’m loving the plans for your bedroom. I keep trying to comment on your blog, but it keeps telling me the comments can’t be posted :(

April 5, 2015 at 6:51 pm
  • Reply Lesley Metcalfe

Excited to see how this turns out! I did my home office during the spring 2014 ORC and I use the space all the time now that it’s more inspiring. You are going to love spending time in your office once it’s finished. Looking forward to more blog posts during and after the challenge!

By the way, I like the layout in the first option best, but both look great!

April 3, 2015 at 11:24 am

Yay! I am so excited to have this finished!!!! Thanks for the input, Lesley!!!

April 5, 2015 at 6:55 pm
  • Reply Melissa - aprudentlife.com

I’m on team floor plan #2 also! I can’t wait to see how it comes together – I’m in love with the desk chair.

April 4, 2015 at 9:12 pm

Haha awesome. Thanks so much, Melissa!!!

April 5, 2015 at 6:56 pm
  • Reply Julia at Home on 129 Acres

Thanks for letting me know about the problem, Thalita. I checked, and the blog is telling me that comments are enabled, so I don’t know what the solution is. :(

April 5, 2015 at 10:24 pm
  • Reply One Room Challenge™ Spring 2015, Week 3

[…] a busy busy week and in all honesty, I didn’t get a whole lot done. I guess the momentum of week 1 when I finished the floors will have to be picked up again for week […]

April 16, 2015 at 9:02 pm
  • Reply One Room Challenge™ Spring 2015, Week 5

[…] major change of plans, as this was originally supposed to be an L-shaped desk if you remember the week 1 plans, but that just was not going to work. The table was too old and well-made for us to take apart and […]

April 30, 2015 at 5:59 am