Office makeover

One Room Challenge™ Spring 2015, Week 2

Week 2 already? Oh boy… Well luckily I’m still feeling good for this round and have managed to get one big, major part of the makeover finished… the floors!

Here’s where we started – and yes, my dog makes an appearance way too many times because I swear he knows when I need to take a picture of something!

carpet removal

Once it was all removed, we got started on laying the laminate floors – the same ones that we used in the master bedroom makeover, and will be used throughout the second floors of the house.

Flooring halfway done

Despite all of the dust, I LOVE how the floor looks already!

finished floors

I also did something unexpected this week and completely changed the office’s door. I had plans to replace all of the doors up stairs (some day) because ours are so old and just the plainest, most boring doors ever! Well, I happened to see this post on Remodelaholic and made a trip to Home Depot the very next day. Seriously. So the doors have gone from flat to panelled. Yes, you read doorS – I’ve officially started doing this to all upstairs doors because, well, why not dump more work on myself while going through a 6-week challenge?

doors

Coming up next week? Hopefully I’ll get these closet doors made over. The plan is to re-cover them with fresh wallpaper (it used to be papered in a floral pattern. Whyyyyy?!?).

finished floors, unfinished closet doors

I’m also hoping that maybe a bit of painting will get done, both on the walls and on the door. And because I think it’s nice to have at least one pretty image in a blog post, I’m going to finish by showing you the inspiration image for the office, which includes some of the finishes and pieces that will eventually be in here!

office Inspiration

I can’t wait to get more work done!

Don’t forget to check out what the 20 participants are up to for this week and check out what all of the other linking participants have done!

See you next week, and if you want to see updates before then, follow me on Instagram!

• Reply Casey @Waffling

It is looking so good already!! and I hear you on the doorS…I am currently 1/2 done my den built ins, there have been paint swatches on my bedroom wall for weeks, and last night I decided we should start the balcony makeover too! Projects like to snowball!!

April 9, 2015 at 8:14 am

Thanks, Casey!!! It’s crazy how the snowball happens. We also have the stairs underway, but that has been ongoing for like a year so, whatever! I’m obsessed with your den, by the way. The built-ins are amazing!

April 9, 2015 at 8:21 am
  • Reply Steph

I’m really excited to see this room come together! We have flat hollow core doors in our upstairs too and I’d love to do something like those panels on them. Just one more thing to add to my HUGE list haha

April 9, 2015 at 9:34 am

Oh my gosh I have wanted to replace these doors since the day we moved in! I sure was happy to find a way to change them without having to replace them all! And I hear you on the list – it really never ends!

April 9, 2015 at 9:41 am
  • Reply Sabrina @ Pink Little Notebook

I love what you did with the doors! And to wallpaper the closet doors…that’s going to be amazing!!

April 9, 2015 at 10:16 am

Thanks, Sabrina! Thinking of doing a beadboard wallpaper, but we’ll see!

April 9, 2015 at 10:38 am
  • Reply Julia at Home on 129 Acres

Once again, I find us going in very similar directions. I abhor our flat panel doors. I’d love to do what you did, but I really don’t want to mess with door stop or hinges. Did you have any problems with that? And I’m also planning on wallpaper to revive my closet doors. Your floors look great. Yay for progress!

April 9, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Yeah the flat panels were killing me. I used 1/4″ particle board only on one side of the door, so it’s barely made a difference in thickness. As for the door stop, we did move it, but it was a pretty simple job. Just a lot of holes to fill! Oh and no issues with the hinges at all!

Are you doing patterned wallpaper do your closet? I’m thinking a beadboard wallpaper…

April 12, 2015 at 10:07 am
  • Reply rajnialexdesign

The floor looks great! Love the inspiration images!!

April 9, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Thanks so much!!! I still can’t believe I did them myself. Eek!

April 12, 2015 at 10:09 am
  • Reply Kristi

I saw that post too and thought it was SUCH a brilliant idea! The new door looks fab! LOVE the floors too! Things are definitely coming along!

April 9, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Thanks, Kristi! Honestly, I’m amazed at how well the doors worked out. Very little effort. And $$!

April 12, 2015 at 10:10 am
  • Reply Lesley Metcalfe

Floor looks great! You got that done so fast, great job!

April 9, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Thanks, Lesley! Amazing what a strong cup of coffee can do. Haha

April 12, 2015 at 10:10 am
  • Reply Tash @ The Dreamhouse Project

Yay for progress!! Your floors look amazing. And I’m so impressed that you finished them on your own with hubs away. Way to go!
    The door upgrade is genius. You’re going to be so happy with them, even if it throws an extra project into the mix. You’re getting down Kes & Tash style. Who needs sleep anyway, right??

April 9, 2015 at 6:40 pm

Yeah he couldn’t believe it either. Hahaha and you wouldn’t believe how many times I want to be lazy and ask myself “what would Kes & Tash do? They’d keep going!” Inspiration and motivation!

April 12, 2015 at 10:12 am
  • Reply Jennifer @ Brave New Home

Jeez, you are going all out on this one! What an inspiration. Good luck and can’t wait to follow along. That mood board is both modern and girly, two of my fav looks!

April 10, 2015 at 12:05 am

Aw shucks thanks, Jennifer! This is the only room where modern and girly get to live together in our house. Let there be pink!!!

April 12, 2015 at 10:13 am
  • Reply Erin Meyer

The floor look great and now I’m curious about those doors, so I’m going to head over to that post. Looks like things are coming along. Love your ideas for the space!

April 10, 2015 at 8:18 am

You won’t regret it, Erin! It’s a 2-part post with 2 door makeovers. So good. And thanks so much!!!!

April 12, 2015 at 10:13 am
  • Reply Shannon

Wow! The floor looks amazing. You have gotten so much done so far! Great job! :)

April 12, 2015 at 5:02 pm

Thanks so much, Shannon!!! Looking at the floor does make me feel a bit better about the progress since last time it took forever for us to finish flooring. Lesson learned :)

April 13, 2015 at 6:40 am