OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Planner Makeover Using a Sharpie and Washi Tape

I know some of you are seeing the title of this post and saying “Washi tape?  REALLY? Again?”  Believe me, I know… The blogging world is over saturated with washi tape projects, and I am adding to the mess, but here’s my story: Washi tape was my LAST resort!  That’s right folks… this is a story about a craft fail SAVED by washi tape.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERALucky for you I didn’t realize this was going to be a craft fail from the beginning, so I took lots of pictures. And when I DID realize it was a failure I kept taking pictures just to really rub it in, I guess?

The original plan was gold stripes on a black Moleskine planner.

Sharpie Marker striped agenda

MAJOR FAIL!

The Sharpie paint marker bled through the painter’s tape and made for some REALLY terrible lines.  In my attempt to salvage this atrocity, I made it 10 times worse by thinking “Oh, what if I make the stripes purposely uneven?  That could work!”

Oh my gosh, you guys… I was on a major craft fail roll here and kept going.  So what did I do next?

Well I painted the entire thing gold, of course!

Ugh.

You could so visibly see the lines where I had painted the original stripes with the painter’s tape.  It was a hot mess!!!  And this is so not something I could have just thrown away, I mean I paid like $26 for this bad boy!  I needed to salvage it.

Enter washi tape…

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is where I gave up taking pictures of the process because I was basically convinced i was just going to look terrible, anyway.

But then something kind of magical happened… the washi tape made it look better!  I started out with just two patterns, but then I decided I liked making it a little more fun and a little less serious.  I don’t know about you, but I dig the girlyness happening here with the pink and polka dots and the soft blue.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAs you can seek, it’s not perfect.  Duh… nothing ever is.  Surprisingly, I’m ok with that!

The best part?  If this hadn’t been a complete failure with the gold Sharpie, the washi tape wouldn’t have looked good. On the black, the tape would have looked too dark.  The gold actually makes it work!  WOAH!

Inside agenda - 2014 The Learner ObserverOn the inside, this agenda is perfection.  I can plan out my entire week without having to flip pages and there’s plenty of room for my schedule, my to-do lists and any other notes.  As a substitute teacher, having the ability to plan out my day from 8am to 8pm is perfect since I’m sometimes at two different schools in one day.  This gives me space to write in all the details I need to know.  The bit at the bottom is fantastic to use as a blogging planner as well.  Oh and there are little strips you can tear off for shopping lists on the back. So good!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAMoleskine was always my number 1 choice for layout (this is my third time using one), but not so much for looks since they are all plain black in the Professional series.  The Kate Spade planners are beautiful (and what blogger on this earth doesn’t have/want one?!?!) and I was oh-so tempted to get one… but after seeing their size, I knew it wouldn’t work for me.  I need something I can carry in my purse and Moleskine does the trick.  So layout and size win over beauty.  Sorry Kate Spade… maybe next year?

So there you have it… my first HUGE craft fail that I just couldn’t give up on.

In case you’re interested, Chapters/Indigo sells these and they have been on sale since pretty much the day after I bought mine full price.  Of course.  Here’s what they look like without gold all over them:

How to give your black planner new life with a Sharpie and wash tape - by The Learner ObserverThere are a lot of sizes and layouts to choose from with Moleskine, so if you’re looking for something specific, I’d give them a try.  You won’t be disappointed.

Just a side note, Moleskine doesn’t even know I’m writing this post.  I just really love and believe in their product AND I wanted to show you how my awesome idea turned out terribly then finally was salvaged by some pretty tape!

So how did I do, dear reader?  Is my fail still fail, or did I save it?

• Reply Casey @ Waffling

Haha was that washi disclaimer because of me?? I really like how your book worked out and the washi tape works great here!!

January 9, 2014 at 8:17 am

haha I had typed it before I saw your tweet, but I did chuckle at it thinking of you! Thanks, Casey! Who would have thought washi tape would save my butt! I normally only use it on gifts and cards.

January 13, 2014 at 10:56 am
  • Reply Dannielle

You definitely saved it! It looks really nice, and as if you had completely planned it :) xx

D Is For…

January 9, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Thanks, D!! I guess I could have pretended like I planned, it huh?!? haha

January 13, 2014 at 10:56 am
  • Reply Andi

I woulda never noticed u failed! It looks something u could buy at a store! Great job T!

January 9, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Thanks! I guess I can fake it well :)

January 13, 2014 at 10:57 am
  • Reply Tash @ thedreamhouseproject

Great save!! It looks so pretty now. I think it’s actually better than your original plan. YAY for craft fails…and washi tape! :)

January 10, 2014 at 12:41 am

Thanks, lady!! And I love that you think it’s better than the original plan because I feel that way too! I think the gold and black would have been a bit much! I have to say this is my most successful craft fail to date!

January 13, 2014 at 11:02 am

Oooooo! This is so so so purdy! And I love that if it hadn’t been for the “fail,” the washi would have never been the huge success that it was…is! (Also, I love that we can count on you to keep it real and be oh so honest about every step of the process. It makes me feel like I’m not so alone in my many project “fails.”)

Fab-tastic planner, Thalita! (I’m an hour by hour planner, too. In fact, I *may* be sharing my DIY planner on the blog at some point…though I’m not organized enough yet to tell you exactly when. Lol. Work in progress.)

January 10, 2014 at 1:49 am

Why, thank you!!! This was a blessing in disguise.. it failed for a reason and that reason is that this planner was meant for more than just black and gold! I swear in every project I attack, there is a fail in it somewhere. I’ve just learned to live with it!

K, now you HAVE to share your planner because I just know it’s going to be life-altering and amazing!!!

January 13, 2014 at 11:04 am
  • Reply Best of the Week | allputtogether

[…] your new planner need a makeover? It’s amazing what a little washi tape and a Sharpie can […]

January 10, 2014 at 8:16 am
  • Reply Dee @ from wine to whine

Your right the gold really pops with the washi!! I’m glad you didn’t give up it looks great!

January 10, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Thanks so much! I like it so much more with the colours instead of the original black and gold plan. Who knew craft fails could be so great!?

January 13, 2014 at 11:15 am
  • Reply April @ Money Pit Love

This is definitely a case of snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. Well played!

January 13, 2014 at 12:41 pm

haha with washi tape, nonetheless! Thanks, girlfriend!

January 14, 2014 at 10:35 am
  • Reply Brittany

This is so cute and creative… washi tape to the rescue! Great DIY project, easy, inexpensive and cute!

January 13, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Thanks, Brittany! Creativity blooms in failure, doesn’t it? Well, maybe just for me! It’s like I never would have thought to use washi tape unless I totally messed this project up first! haha

January 14, 2014 at 10:44 am
  • Reply melanie

I say kudos for sticking with it – I likely would’ve thrown it at something by fail #2!:)

January 17, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Aww thanks!!! I did at one point throw it on the floor… but quickly picked it up when my dog came running in as if I had just thrown a toy down! At that point, I wouldn’t have been too sad if he chewed it up a bit so I’d have a real excuse to give up on it :)

January 20, 2014 at 11:45 am
  • Reply Rachel @redeemingher

This is SO darling, I love how the pastel prints brighten up your planner. I just wrote about an art related mishap turned glory moment, http://redeemingher.blogspot.com/2014/01/jars-of-clay.html

January 18, 2014 at 12:04 am

Thanks so much Rachel! I didn’t think pastels would work, but I also love how it turned out. Happy accident! Now I MUST go read yoru post! :)

January 20, 2014 at 11:47 am
  • Reply Emily @ Two Purple Couches

You had me at “washi tape”! Fail, schmail! I LOVE how this turned out!!

January 18, 2014 at 10:18 pm

HAHAHA That is awesome, Emily! And thank you! I’m so glad I failed to make this work twice then covered it in tape because now I love it!

January 20, 2014 at 12:21 pm
  • Reply Craft Fail Becomes Craft Success with Washi Tape

[…] vision just seem to fall short.  That was the case with this moleskin notebook that Thalita from The Learner Observer was working on.  She assumed that she could dress up the plain black notebook with stripes from a […]

January 19, 2014 at 8:31 am
  • Reply Marie

It looks great!

January 20, 2014 at 8:42 am

Thanks so much, Marie! I’ll have to look back the lovely comments like yours next time I totally mess something up to remind myself I can (probably) still fix it :)

January 20, 2014 at 12:23 pm
  • Reply debbiewestbrooks

Great save! Love it :)
    Debbie

January 20, 2014 at 11:07 am

Thank you, Debbie! I just opened the link to your blog and see white painted furniture… Now this I gotta read!!! :)

January 20, 2014 at 12:25 pm
  • Reply Katie @ Upcycled Treasures

This is adorable! I would love it if you linked up to The Makers! http://upcycledtreasures.com/2014/01/the-makers-link-party-1/

~Katie @ Upcycled Treasures

January 21, 2014 at 9:25 am

Thanks so much, Katie! I definitely will!! :)

January 21, 2014 at 11:50 am
  • Reply The Pinworthy Projects Link Party!

[…] Lerner Observer shared how to spruce up a moleskin planner! I love how cute and girly it turned […]

January 24, 2014 at 7:00 am
  • Reply Pinworthy Projects Link Party - Just Us Four

[…] at last week’s party while I was snowed in.  These four really caught my eye… (1) (2) (3) […]

January 24, 2014 at 7:01 am