The $20 lamp (and a $4 table)

Remember that thrifting trip a few days ago?  And that lamp I got for $5.99?  Well I got it a pretty little shade from that Ikea trip yesterday for a whopping $10.  Alex found a little white table on someone’s curb a while back, and when we were fixing up the kitchen cabinets, he figured it would do well for resting the doors on while we painted.  Turns out I quite like the little thing and thought it could be of use in the living room.  I went to Canadian Tire and got some primer and spray paint, and today I got to spraying.  Here’s the set up before.

The table may look like it’s in good shape from afar, but this is what it looked like up close:

How sweet if this little note written on the side of the table?  I painted around it, so it’s still there as a lovely little reminder to “think goood” :)

Here is the lamp is its full flowery glory:

I taped off areas of the lamp I didn’t want to get paint into, and it was time to get started!

Here’s the lamp primed, table painted in the back.  The flowers are gone!

I moved the painting party to the basement.  Mosquitoes were not only sticking to me, but also to the wet paint!

First coat of paint and it’s already so much better!

And now for the finished product!

I have to say I am extremely happy with it, and for what it cost, it’s the perfect imperfect table-lamp combination.  The little switch on the right is a dimmer I decided to add on so that we have more lighting options.  It’s really nice not being forced to have nothing but an overhead light on in the room.

Lighting – one more step to cozying up our home.

Check the rest of the progress here.

Linking up here!

• Reply Lindsey Brock

I love this colour you picked!! So pretty! And amazing job!! You are inspirational!

October 17, 2012 at 9:45 pm
  • Reply Gillian

I agree – the color is lovely! Bright but not distracting. And what a sweet little message on the table. I love little surprises like that.

October 19, 2012 at 8:41 am
  • Reply Zara Tretyakova

What a very informative site, I have found alot of very useful information here and still have a lot more to read. Thank you very much for the time and effort you have put in….

October 20, 2012 at 9:44 am
  • Reply Sara @ Stay at Beach Mom

I also love the color you chose. Ikea is such an awesome spot for lampshades! I hadn’t thought of getting a lamp from a thrift store to refinish it… brilliant!

October 26, 2012 at 9:42 pm
    • Reply thelearnerobserver

Thanks Sara! The lamp was a steal, and it was one of the most “expensive” ones there!

October 26, 2012 at 10:58 pm
  • Reply jocieopc

So pretty! I love spray painting lamps, it makes such a big difference for cheap!
    Found you from your comment on my chalkboard revamp. Thanks so much for visiting!
    Would love if you came and linked up with us. We’re giving away one free week of ad space for one lucky feature, and our blog gets thousands of hits per day! Hope to see you there!

October 27, 2012 at 10:40 am
    • Reply thelearnerobserver

Thanks for checking out my blog!! I will definitely link up and add you to my link page! Looking forward to seeing more of your great ideas!

October 28, 2012 at 4:01 pm
  • Reply rea

that lamp makeover looks pretty! i like the color that you chose :)

dropping by from make it pretty monday, come and visit me back at: http://smart-momma.blogspot.com/

huggies***
    rea

October 31, 2012 at 11:42 am
  • Reply Nic

What color did you paint your walls and the lamp? I love them both.

November 17, 2012 at 4:39 pm
    • Reply thelearnerobserver

Hi Nic,

So sorry, I have no idea what the name of the wall colour is… The house came with it! The lamp, however is Krylon’s “Blue Ocean Breeze”. Thanks for stopping by!

November 28, 2012 at 9:58 am
  • Reply Shelly minettesmaze.blogspot.com/

Looks Fantastic!! Thank you for sharing on CSI Project “Thrift Store Turnaround”!

Shelly@MinettesMaze

August 16, 2013 at 9:58 am
  • Reply A Quick Makeover - Or A Lesson In Patience - The Learner Observer

[…] recognize these items if you have seen ANY picture of my living room, or if you happen to remember this really embarrassing post from eons ago!  Eeeep!!  I cannot believe I just shared that link with […]

May 22, 2014 at 7:03 am