IMG_2567

The big green monster

The cause for much debate in our home, believe it or not, has been this lovely dresser.  Purchased for a whopping $80 in the summer (Alex got it down from $100), the plan has always been to paint the dresser white, possibly a nice robin’s egg blue because who doesn’t love that colour?  Since the day we got it, we have had compliments on how gorgeous the dresser is, how much character it has, and what a great find it was.  All of which I agree with, but there is one more thing people always say when I mention the plans to paint.  “Oh no the green is so lovely!  You should leave it the way it is!”  My husband beams when he hears that – he has never wanted me to paint it!  The colour has grown on me slightly, but not enough to want to keep it the way it is.

The way I see it is I have two options (other than leaving it green!).

1. I can paint it white or robin’s egg and possibly not ever be able to rip my eyes away from my beautiful masterpiece.

2. I distress the dresser further, maybe add some dark varnish to the exposed wood.  I know, I know… this strays completely from the lighter colours in the first option, but what can I do?  I’m torn!

Here is the inspiration for the dresser if I stick to option 1.

Source: Altar'd Designs

Source: Altar’d Designs — www.altard.com

Can you tell this is what I’m leaning towards?  This was THE DREAM since the moment I first laid eyes on her.  How gorgeous would the brass detailing on the dresser look with the lighter colour behind them?  Just thinking about it makes my hands itch to hold a paintbrush and get to work!

So let’s be honest here people… does the big green monster stay green, or do we pretty her up a bit?

The other 31 day topics are here.

• Reply Dean Peckham

My vote is that you leave it the way that it is and find something else to paint the Robin’s Egg Blue. You’ll destroy the character of the piece by painting and faux distressing something that is naturally distressed. I cannot believe I’m going to say this, but Alex is actually correct with ‘leave it alone’. There … I did it. I say it. Now I must leave. DON’T PAINT IT!

October 11, 2012 at 7:50 am
    • Reply thelearnerobserver

HAHA Thank you Dean! I will let him know :)

October 11, 2012 at 9:19 am
  • Reply Gillian

I feel so strongly about not having negative feelings about your belongings. Your house should make you happy, through and through. If every time you look at your dresser and it frustrates you, talk to your husband about painting it. Show him your inspiration pictures and see if that brings him around. If you bought it with the plan to paint it, then it’s about time to do so!

October 11, 2012 at 8:27 am
    • Reply thelearnerobserver

Funny story – I mentioned to him this morning that I wrote about the dresser and the paint vs. no paint debate, and he actually said “Well, we’ll have to wait to see if Gillian comments on it and get her opinion!” How funny is that?!?! You are officially part of our decorating decision making! haha
      You are right though – we should love everything in here. And I do love the dresser… I just can’t help my aversion to green!

October 11, 2012 at 9:21 am
      • Reply Gillian

I cannot stop laughing! Every time my nerves get worked up about flying this afternoon while pregnant I will think about this. Tell your husband thanks for the good laugh :)

October 12, 2012 at 10:00 am
        • Reply thelearnerobserver

Oh no need for nerves – you and baby will do great. Have a fantastic trip! And P.S., I have a thriving-inspired post this weekend. I’ll be linking up to your blog for it :)

October 12, 2012 at 1:42 pm
  • Reply rwhammond

leave it. painting it will ruin the awesome.

October 11, 2012 at 4:54 pm
  • Reply Debbie

What a gorgeous dresser! Oh wow, I’m torn because I do like the green, but it would look good done a lighter colour, too. Sorry, I’m no help. lol
    Saw you linking At The Picket Fence
    Debbie :)

October 26, 2012 at 2:54 pm
    • Reply thelearnerobserver

Oh Debbie, just saying you like the green is help!! I think I might wait until more things start happening in the living room and go from there… Thanks for checking out my link!

October 26, 2012 at 3:01 pm
  • Reply Cynthia

If you don’t love it the way it is, go ahead and paint it!

October 26, 2012 at 2:59 pm
  • Reply Titia

I’m going to go against the others….PAINT IT!! If you are thinking about it this much, it’s where your heart is going. Sorry, but your hubby will come around. :)
    how’s that for throwing a wrench into the works? hehehe

October 26, 2012 at 8:29 pm
    • Reply thelearnerobserver

Hahahaha I LOVE it!! I can hear the paint calling out my name now! :)

October 26, 2012 at 10:57 pm
  • Reply Kathy

I think the dark color of that dresser yells out “I’m a huge dresser and I’m very heavy.” If you lighten it with a robin’s egg blue, it will calm it down and not look so heavy for that space. I’m like you, the green is not my favorite. But, I don’t know what the rest of your plans are for the area around it…so, do what you love. Don’t worry about how good it looks to others, it has to coodinate with your overall decor.

October 30, 2012 at 10:57 am
    • Reply thelearnerobserver

Oh great call on the heaviness of the dresser! You’re right – the colour does not help! Thanks for the words of encouragement. Painting this thing is a big project in so many ways!

October 31, 2012 at 8:32 am
  • Reply The Gold Rush

[…] for the pieces we have collected in our living room with brass accents like our still unpainted big green monster (though the brass is sad-looking and d-i-r-t-y!), and our new coffee table/vintage trunk which is […]

February 26, 2013 at 9:16 am
  • Reply Weekend Winners ~ 11

[…] of us not using entertainment units to hold our televisions and accessories!  Yeah… remember the big green monster (which is still green, by the way)? It’s totally getting a makeover like this!  I […]

June 8, 2013 at 12:01 pm
  • Reply Shelly minettesmaze.blogspot.com/

Pretty it up! Thats my vote!!

Shelly

August 16, 2013 at 9:59 am

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! I’m so showing this to my husband! haha

August 16, 2013 at 11:39 am