IMG_5981

The Reason[s] For My Radio Silence…

Hello again, world! It has been a whopping SIX WEEKS since my last blog post. This might just be the longest blogging break I have ever taken, and it wasn’t intentional, it was more like it was forced on me – but in a good way. Let me explain…

May 10, 2015 (yes, Mother’s Day): I had a lovely afternoon with my mom, having a late brunch and some wonderful mother-daughter conversation. I wasn’t feeling well and hadn’t been for days, but I kept thinking it was nothing. That day, however, I couldn’t shake this weird feeling that it was more than just PMS or the weather or my diet making me feel so crummy. On my way home I bought two pregnancy tests and though I had a nice digital one at home, I didn’t want to use it. You see, I had already gone through an obscene amount of expensive pregnancy tests in the last year of trying to conceive, and I was determined to only use that last one when I was sure this was the real thing. So I took two of the cheap tests… then I took the expensive one.

IMG_5667

Enter: jumping, screaming, laughing, crying. All at THE. SAME. TIME!

I was home alone at this point, and Alex would not be back for at least 5 hours, so I had to sit there, patiently waiting to share our biggest, most life-changing day ever with him!

When he got home, I told him a package had come for him (even though it was Sunday) and man, oh, man, he took his sweet time going to open it! His reaction was pretty priceless when he did, though, and his first words were, “What is this?” Then it sunk in and he laughed and we hugged and it was awesome.

May 12, 2015: First appointment with my family doctor, blood test, pregnancy to be confirmed. At this point I was a bit tired and nauseous, but it was manageable. Baby’s due date: January 10, 2016!!!

May 17, 2015: We tell our parents about our news. Moms scream and cry and jump and are ultimately the happiest people ever! Dads are happy too, just without any jumping or screaming. This will officially be the first grandchild on either side of our families, so this was BIG news! We got them books as gifts and let them figure it out. Honestly, these were unforgettable moments!

PicMonkey Collage

May 24, 2015: After a couple of weeks of fatigue and nausea that comes and goes all day long, I have my first run-in with a bad case of morning sickness and it lasts 24 hours. I ate nothing but crackers and ramen, drank ginger ale, and spent a lot of time up close and personal with the toilet (sorry, TMI?).

IMG_5842

May 26, 2015: I discover Sea Bands. Though I was skeptical at first, these have been a lifesaver for me so far, despite the fact that I look like I have 1980’s sweat bands on…

IMG_5928

May 27 – June 17, 2015: The exhaustion, hunger, nausea, abdominal pain, dizziness, and occasional vomiting have taken a toll on me. My carbohydrate diet is still going strong, especially on the days that I feel like even with the magical sweat bands, waves of nausea come and go and are so stinking strong that I have to sit and take deep breaths – not easy to do when I’m supposed to be teaching kids all day, and there have been some awkward moments, but nothing too embarrassing or scarring for either me or the students. I lie down a LOT and Alex has picked up my slack in a huge way, constantly cooking, cleaning, and generally just being amazing. Luther and I do a lot of this…

IMG_5981

June 18, 2015: At 10 weeks pregnant, I have my first OBGYN appointment! Alex came with me and we met our doctor for the first time. We both fell in love with her immediately, which was such a relief! She gave me a few blood tests to get done and let us know we’d be getting an ultrasound that day. Alex just about jumped out of his seat with excitement! As she’s moving the magic ultrasound wand around, she looks up at us and says these exact words: “I know you guys aren’t experts at reading ultrasounds, but there are two babies in there!”

IMG_6144

Enter: laughing. Yep… we BOTH started laughing. I had been joking for weeks that there must be two babies because of my insane hunger and fatigue, plus the fact that I looked like I had grown a belly overnight. I was only joking, though, but I guess mother’s intuition is real??? HAHA!

Needless to say we are excited, terrified, overjoyed, freaked out, shocked, and ultimately SO SO SO HAPPY with this news.

So now, what? Well, I have no idea. I have been reading a lot about twin pregnancies, and sometimes it scares me, and other times it soothes me to know how crazy it’s about to get. I do know this, though: planning this nursery is already super fun and we’ve slowly gotten started on clearing out the spare room to create a home for our babies. BABIES! You guys! Holy crap! There are 2 in there?!?!?! Sorry, sometimes I forget…

If you follow along on Instagram, you may have seen this photo yesterday:

IMG_6162

I’ve already picked out paint samples and we’ll get started on removing the carpet to put in laminate flooring soon. Crazy, right?

So mamas of the world (twin mamas, especially), if you have some words of wisdom for me, I’m all ears!

I promise that just as soon as I start to feel even just a little less tired and generally awful all the time, I’ll get back to blogging. Meanwhile, keep up with me over on Instagram.

Love you guys!

• Reply Casey @waffling

ah!!!! So excited for you Thalita!!!

June 22, 2015 at 7:16 am

Despite this being 38 days after your comment, I still just had to leave you a reply to say thank you! xo

July 30, 2015 at 9:45 pm
  • Reply Gillian

Congrats, Tali and family!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What wonderful news! What an exciting adventure. Love to you and yours!

June 22, 2015 at 8:05 am

Gillian!!!!!!! Oh my heart just burst with joy when I saw your comment and, of course, when I saw “Tali.” Just love it! Thank you so much!! Sending you so much love!

July 30, 2015 at 9:44 pm
  • Reply Steph

So I already commented on your picture on Instagram, so I hope this isn’t creepy that I’m commenting here too haha
    I am so incredibly excited for you!! Becoming a mother is the most amazing thing you will ever do with your life. I really hope that your nausea subsides soon and you can enjoy your pregnancy, because it really is such an amazing experience and it’s so awesome getting to go through this truly miraculous thing that your body is doing! I don’t know what it’s like to be pregnant with twins, but I hope it’s just twice the joy!! I’m so excited to follow along on your journey and I can’t wait to see what you do with the nursery! Congratulations x 1000!!!

June 22, 2015 at 8:58 am

Steph, you’re never creepy haha just adorable! Now that the nausea and fatigue are gone I can reply to all these lovely comments. Thanks so much for your sweet words! Now I need to actually start working on the nursery! Haha!

July 30, 2015 at 9:42 pm
  • Reply Sabrina @ Pink Little Notebook

OMG!!!! Congratulations!!! Best. News. Ever! I’m super excited for you guys. And twins?! What an amazing blessing :) Sending you the biggest virtual hug ever :)

June 22, 2015 at 9:09 am

Pardon my reply over a month later… Haha I’ve been terrible at this blog thing, but I wanted to say a huge thanks to you, Sabrina!

July 30, 2015 at 9:40 pm
  • Reply Anonymous

I know I already commented on you photo on Facebook, but wanted to comment again here. I honestly couldn’t be more happy for you guys!! Thanks so much for sharing your story with all of us & though I don’t know what it’s like to be carrying two I’m certainly happy to share my pregnancy & motherhood experiences with you so feel free to reach out anytime! Congrats again & I can’t wait to follow along with you on all your adventures in new motherhood! xo

June 22, 2015 at 10:12 am

Oh, Tash… I just love your heart and how your kindness seeps through your words. I know I already said it, but thank you so much for your words. Seriously!!! xo

July 30, 2015 at 9:39 pm
  • Reply Julia at Home on 129 Acres

Congratulations! What a surprise… for me and for your guys too! How wonderful for you. Take care of yourself and those babies.

June 22, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Thank you, Julia! A major surprise, but such a great one! Scary, but great. Haha

July 30, 2015 at 9:37 pm

Wow! What a thrilling, wild adventure these past few months have been! Thanks for bringing us along for the roller-coaster ride; I love all the photo documentation you took along the way. And what a cute way to tell the g-parents the exciting news! No doubt, these two littles are going to be LOVED beyond belief. And I couldn’t be happier for you if I tried. Enjoy every moment – – even the ones spent over the toilet. Because they all mean you are a Mama, which I know is going to be your best role yet! Sending a huge virtual hug your way! (And some saltines.)

June 22, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Lauren!!!!! Thank you so much! It’s so funny that you say to enjoy every moment, because that’s exactly what I have been trying to do since day 1, even when the fatigue is taking over and the nausea just won’t stop. I just keep telling myself that when I feel terrible, they must be growing! Haha. I’m sure that’s completely inaccurate but it helps! Thank you a million times for your sweet words and the virtual hug. I totally felt it!

July 30, 2015 at 9:37 pm
  • Reply sholtzie

Congratulations! (I’ve never commented before, but I enjoy your posts). My twins (fraternal, boy/girl) will be 10 this year. Get used to lots of comments and questions….twins pregnancies and twin babies bring out a lot of excitement in others. And I must say, your nursery is already better than mine was (and still is!) It’s an exciting and scary time – your family size is literally going to double overnight – but so so so worth it. Get as much rest as you can now, you’ll need it for the next 18 years ;)

June 22, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Ah a twin mom! How exciting! Also, thank you so much for taking the time to comment. The questions have already started. It’s so funny how intrigued people are by twins already!!! I feel like all I’ve been able to do is rest. It’s been an exhausting experience so far with all of the changes happening, but I am so, so, so excited!!!!!

July 30, 2015 at 9:34 pm
  • Reply B

Congratulations!!! Sending warmest wishes your way! :) (I don’t know anything about having twins, but the best advice I got before having my son last year was, “It gets easier!”) ;)

June 24, 2015 at 8:18 pm

Thank you!!!!! And that sounds like wonderful advice to me! Haha

July 30, 2015 at 9:32 pm
  • Reply Ashley Urke | Domestic Fashionista

I am so happy for you! Such a joy to hear about your past few months! Looking forward to continuing to follow this journey for you guys! TWINS!!!

June 26, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Thanks, Ashley!!!! It’s been a wild roller coaster already, but it’s definitely full of excitement :)

July 30, 2015 at 9:31 pm
  • Reply Raven Corwin, aka Meggie

I knew it (but not the twins part; that’s a major surprise!)! I had a feeling when you had posted for a few weeks. GREAT news! Happy doesn’t even begin to say it :) You are so going to rock this, Thalita. What lucky babies!! OMGosh you’re going to have so much fun (when it’s not all the hard work parts hehe). You think you’re creative now? Wait until you have kids to be creative for! I’m so excited for you and Alex, dearie :) Now, you just behave and take extra good care of yourself. **hugs**

July 1, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Thanks so much!!!! That honestly means so much to have you say all these sweet things. I have had to slow down SO much these last few weeks, and that’s part of the reason I didn’t reply to this sooner!

July 30, 2015 at 9:30 pm
  • Reply One Room Challenge Fall 2015 – Week 1

[…] I feel like I have been waiting for this Fall challenge to start for SO long… like since we announced that we were expecting! So true to our announcement, we’re working on the nursery this round, and I could not be […]

October 8, 2015 at 5:01 am