Weekend Winners ~ 6

weekend

It’s been a crazy one!  I have been teaching more than ever, and learning more than ever.  Has anyone ever said that kids can be the BEST TEACHERS EVER?  Yeah?  People say that a lot?  Well I’m repeating it… Being a supply teacher can be the most fun and challenging and frustrating and thrilling and horrifying and amazing and scary thing sometimes.  That about sums up my week.  How was yours?

HERE ARE THIS WEEK’S WINNERS:

gold animals1. They are gold.  2. They are small toy animals.  Need I say more?  These are so cute that when I first saw this post ALL I wanted to do was go find me some animal toys!  That hippo… oh goodness.  Thanks Brit & Co for the always awesome and fun ideas!

5838530890_267eee33a6_o I kind of fell in love with this idea from Ashley Ann at Under the Sycamore because I always, always, always look at the thrift store paintings when I go and I can never figure out what to do with the (sometimes) hideous images in the wonderfully perfect frames, and I find myself at odds with throwing the artwork away.  Strange?  Maybe… but it’s also because sometimes the framed, unwanted artwork is not necessarily priced as well as, say, a frame from IKEA that may be already painted and ready to go… This tutorial, however, makes me want to buy some kitsch-y art ASAP!

embroidery-101_backstitch1Reasons I love this: it’s adorable, I just bought way too much embroidery thread 2 weeks ago for wrapping my cables and don’t know what to do with it, I have about 4 embroidery hoops left over from the wreath I made, I actually love to hand stitch/knit/crochet because my grandmothers both taught me and they rule.  Design Sponge has done it again…

twig necklaceI’m not normally one to be all about jewelry, but lately I have been kind of obsessed, particularly with necklaces.  Anthropologie is (obviously) well known for their fantastic…um…everything?  Yes, everything… necklaces included!  The one you see on the far left is the Anthro one – aka the expensive one ($58).  The two on the right are DIY versions by the incredible Michelle at Popsicles & Pinatas.  I. want. to. make. one. now!!!

7398907458_58a5e1251f_oEnough said…

Happy weekending!

• Reply Deli Silva

Amazing! I still don’t know how you find time, but it is always used with wonderful things. Love

April 27, 2013 at 10:59 am
  • Reply Lisa Newlin

I fricking love those hippos as handles! SO CUTE! I never would have thought of any of this stuff. I’m not at all creative and whenever I attempt these projects I fail miserably, and then end up ruining something unintentionally.

FYI: I’m visiting from the Make New Friends blog hop. :-)

April 27, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Lisa, thanks so much for stopping by!!! It’s amazing what other people’s creativity can do for our own! And hey, in this case, what’s the worst thing that could happen? You ruin a dollar store toy? No big! :)

May 1, 2013 at 11:14 am
  • Reply thethinkingcloset

Your weekend winners are always so cool, Thalita! And I have to tell you, I already have some plastic toy animals I purchased at the Dollar Store for such a project as those you featured! And I really needed that charge from Ann Voskamp. Sigh. Such a good reminder.

(P.S. What is a supply teacher? I’ve never heard that term before!)

April 30, 2013 at 3:03 am

Thanks Lauren!!! I went looking for some toys the other day but I think I’m so stuck on the hippo that when I didn’t find one I ended up leaving with nothing! The Nester also featured that print and I read it again on her blog nodding my head at every statement. It really is a refreshing reminder, huh?!

Us Ontarians call substitute teachers “supply teachers”. Why? I have no clue… Maybe it’s a flight attendant vs stewardess thing? Anyway I’m a fill-in… And it’s been a topsy turvy ride these days! (In a good way… I love roller coasters :)

May 1, 2013 at 11:07 am

Interesting! Never knew that supply was synonymous with substitute in Canada (I forget you live there sometimes…ha ha). I have even more respect for you than I already did, Thalita. Substitute teaching is one of the hardest jobs there is in my mind…are you home based at one school so you get to know the kids or do you float from school to school? Are your gigs one day at a time or do you have long-term subbing jobs? On my first day of substitute teaching in New York, two kids broke out into a fist fight first period. I knew there and then that it was going to be a wild ride!

May 1, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Thanks Lauren! It can be an extreme joy one minute and utter horror the next! I have 2 schools I have become familiar with, but I’m not yet a ‘regular’ at either. I get moved around a LOT, and I’m usually only in the classroom one day at a time – more than that is pretty rare. The teaching situation in Ontario is grim right now, unfortunately, but I’m not giving up on it! :)
          Oh man… a fist fight on the first day?!?! My first day was a peach, but on the second, I showed up at a High School and 5 fire trucks were out front. The teachers outside proceeded to tell me someone set a fire in the boy’s washroom – great first impression of the school. Then, while teaching drama on the third floor, a girl proceeded to hang half of her body out of the window, and another chased a classmate with a nail (as in one she pulled from the baseboard). Pretty awesome, right? I tell you, this job is nothing if it’s not an adventure every single day!
          P.S. are you teaching in Florida?

May 2, 2013 at 9:45 am
          • Lauren @ The Thinking Closet

Hang in there! I know a lot of “regular” substitute teachers who ended up getting full-time positions because they received personal recommendations from teachers for whom they had covered and received rave reviews. In fact, one of my closest teacher friends from Ohio had been a sub at our school prior to becoming a full-time English teacher. Then again, the nice thing about subbing is that you (usually) don’t take home lesson planning or paper grading. What would be your dream teaching job?

Yikes! Your second day of subbing sounds way worse than my first. Way to stick with it despite all of the mayhem. And you’re so right – – it is VERY much an adventure, day in and day out.

Yes, I am teaching now, but in a very different capacity and only part-time. I teach at a local studio that offers after-school programming and I’m one of the theatre teachers. I still teach high school age, but my classes are uber small – – like 5 kids small! Verrrrry different from my English classes that were 30 kids big. (WAY too big.) I do miss certain elements of classroom teaching, and I REALLY miss directing the musical each spring. But my lifestyle is a lot healthier right now, and even if I got offered a full-time teaching job right now, I’m not sure I would take it. Firstly, I’d probably have to give up blogging, and I’ve just grown to love it so!

May 2, 2013 at 11:36 pm
          • Thalita

Thank you for being so encouraging Lauren! My dream job right now would have to be Elementary School Art Teacher. Sounds crazy, maybe, but the mix of uninhibited creativity and paint/clay/whatever else is pretty amazing to me.

Pretty amazing that you are teaching such a small group (no doubt making a HUGE impact), and that you get to have time for the awesome blog projects! Don’t give it up… ever!!! My biggest issue (if I can even call it that) with being so busy with teaching, plus having another job, is that it leaves little time for the blog. It’ll continue to be a slow process until who knows when… but I love it too much to give it up!

May 3, 2013 at 7:28 pm
          • Lauren @ The Thinking Closet

“Uninhibited creativity and paint/clay/whatever else” sounds fantastic! I’d love for you to be my ART teacher, Thalita. In a way, I suppose you are with The Learner Observer. I forgot that you were working two different jobs AND keeping up an incredible blog. That’s quite a bit, and you’re doing a great job at it. Hopefully your blogging schedule will open up a bit this summer so it’s less crazy busy. Plus, let me know if you need me to put in any calls to schools about how much they need an elementary school art teacher named Thalita. I can vouch for your awesomeness!

May 4, 2013 at 12:44 am
          • Thalita

Aw Lauren, you are seriously the most supportive bloggy friend anyone could ever ask for!! Thank you SO much! I’m hoping that with just 1 job in the summer, blogging will become more of a priority again.

Those last two sentences had me smiling from ear to ear!!! That’s incredibly sweet of you and I honestly can’t thank you enough for being such an encouraging friend.

May 4, 2013 at 8:22 am
  • Reply Little Brass Beauties

[…] they great?  Oh my heart… I know it’s no hippo on a vase, but I have to say I quite like these littles.  Here is how they got […]

May 2, 2013 at 7:07 am