The Whole30 challenge - The Learner Observer

The Whole30 – Intro & Week 1

Howdy! If you follow along on Twitter or Instagram, you may have noticed some posts about this Whole30 thing popping up.  Part of my quest to better myself is to better my health, and as a long time (try more than 20 years) sufferer of migraines, I felt it was time I made a drastic change in what I eat to see what (if anything) is the cause of my constant headaches.   It was Gabbi from Retro Ranch Reno who even brought the Whole30 to my attention and you can read all about her experience on her blog.  Now I’m going to tell you mine… so far.  Let’s start with an intro to the Whole30.

Whole30-image

What is The Whole30?

It’s not a diet, it’s not permanent, and it’s not fun.  The way I’ve been explaining it to people is that it’s a cleanse, and it’s meant to end your cravings for things like sugar and carbs – I know, the two most delicious things on earth!  The benefit here is that your body becomes less dependant on these two toxic things and you reset your metabolism, immune system, and digestive system.  Not to mention, you’ll be breaking the habit of eating these things as well.  There’s a lot more info right here, if you’re interested.

Why Do It?

As I mentioned, personally, I want to be healthier and I’d love to find triggers to my migraines.  You want other reasons?  Ok fine… How about it can help with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, asthma, allergies, sinus infections, hives, skin conditions, endometriosis, PCOS, infertility, migraines, depression, bipolar disorder, heartburn, GERD, arthritis, joint pain, ADD, thyroid dysfunction, Lyme disease, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, lupus, leaky gut syndrome, Crohn’s, IBS, Celiac disease, diverticulitis, ulcerative colitis.  Is that enough for you?  I hope so! (Info came straight from the Whole30 site.)

What Can You Eat?

• Vegetables (no legumes, like beans, chickpeas, lentils, etc)
  • Meat: pork, beef, chicken and fish – all organic, grass-fed if possible
  • Fruits
  • Eggs
  • Good fat from nuts, fruits, oils and seeds

What Can’t You Eat?

• Sugar (even if it’s maple syrup straight from a tree… not cool.)
  • Alcohol
  • Grains
  • Legumes
  • White Potatoes

This is the best list of ‘Yes foods’ and ‘No foods’ is right here and it explains a lot!  I can tell you I’ll be adding a few things to my grocery list after finding this little gem!  (Like almond flour!!!)

The whole30 basics - The Learner Observer

How Does It Feel?

Not good, you guys!!!  I want sugar like all day, every day!  I dream of Oreo cookies and sushi!  For me, the first 3 days were the worst.  I had a migraine for three days straight, so it super sucked.  Then came the tiredness… I went to bed at 7:30 on day 5.  No lie!  This apparently all very normal and you can see the whole timeline if you’re interested in seeing all of the potential feelings you can experience on this program.  I have to say, I don’t think I felt the anger, but Alex might disagree with that statement…

timeline-header

What Are You Actually Eating?

Here’s a typical breakfast:  egg muffins (2 or 3) and a cup of Earl Grey tea with coconut milk.  Maybe 4-5 strawberries or a kiwi. Lunch is usually leftovers from dinner the night before like Cauliflower Cottage Pie, and some fruit or a handful of nuts.  Don’t you worry your pretty little face, I’m going to have actual Whole30 meal recipes for you.  Yep… real food that actually tastes amazing! Dinner might be something like a steak with onions and mushrooms and a side of vegetables or a hearty salad (spinach, tomato, cucumber and homemade dressing).  I have the occasional snack in the afternoon or mid morning, like a banana with almond butter (which I swear tastes like a chocolate sundae to me at this point).  All real food all the time.  It sure makes a day like today hard to bear – there is candy EVERYWHERE!  And I can’t have homemade pizza this Valentine’s Day like we did last year, so we’ll have homemade burgers (no bun, of course) instead.  Despite the tiredness, cravings and insane limitations basically anywhere with food, I’m enjoying this challenge because I’m excited to see what happens at the end of it.  I hope you’ll follow along this month!

The Whole30 challenge - The Learner Observer

One more thing!  Don’t forget that you have until midnight tonight to enter the Etsy $50 gift card giveaway!

I hope you’re having a wonderful, love-filled day.  Please do me a favour and eat a few extra pieces of chocolate for me?

xoxo

• Reply Johanna

I have been eating the weirdest shit today (excuse my language), because I’ve had to empty my fridge and freezer, and now it’s only 20 to 6, and I am feeling kinda sick haha
    This sort of seems like Vegan to me, except with carbs & sugar rather than animal products, and I have to say, I don’t get the trend. Obviously, I applaud you being healthy and wanting to find out where your migraines come from – that’s really important! But I am definitely more on the “eat healthy and enjoy the bad stuff in moderation” side than I am on any sort of dietary restrictions. Which will be fun for the next 3 weeks, because my Mom’s decided to become vegan except for the odd piece of fish, and I have to cook for her while pretty much hating all the weird ingredients haha and I don’t eat any seafood! If you see me ranting about vegans on Twitter, you’ll know why! ;)
    Good luck with this – I’m intrigued to see what you take away from it :)

February 14, 2014 at 11:42 am

Oh man that sucks about your fridge! Been there… I ate a mayonnaise sandwich at one point.

I’m normally also a bad in moderation person, but I felt like I needed to hit the reset button and see if I can figure this migraine thing out.

Vegan would be way too hard! No meat? Or eggs? Oh gosh! Now I’m almost looking forward to the rants :)

February 15, 2014 at 4:50 am
  • Reply Tash @ The Dreamhouse Project

Very intriguing! I too am a migraine sufferer, although I’m beginning to thing mine are hormonal as I suffered from them MUCH more frequently before I became a mother and not once during my entire pregnancy. Weird I know. I’m interested to see what you take away from this. Will be following along! Best of luck my friend. xo

February 14, 2014 at 5:59 pm

I can’t figure mine out and having them since I was a kid has never been fun but they’ve gotten stronger in the last few years. My mother was a sufferer until she had kids and she hasn’t had many headaches since! I’m hoping that’ll be the case with me, but that would mean that it’s hormonal, like you said. According to my neurologist the hormone changes with pregnancy can either cause them or get rid of them. Go figure! Thanks for the support, Tash!

February 15, 2014 at 4:56 am
  • Reply Al

I love your honesty in describing how you will feel. I went gluten and dairy free 4 or 5 months ago (medical reasons, not choice) and I felt awful at first. My emotions were all over the place and I was a mess. Thankfully it passed and now I feel so much better. I hope you find your Whole30 experience to be a positive one.

February 14, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Thanks so much! It’s not an easy change. I can’t imagine how difficult that transition was for you! But it’s great that you feel better now. Thanks for the encouragement!! :)

February 15, 2014 at 5:01 am
  • Reply Annet M

We are wheat-free and mostly gluten-free but not in a “replace everything with gf processed crap” way, but much in a way like you describe above, though we def eat potatoes and white rice. When we follow it closely, we feel amazing (we have to follow it for my son’s sake, but me and hubs have the cheating option)…
    So I think eating clean is definitely a good thing. I’ll look forward to some new recipes!
    I need to jumpstart my own eating and moving more, I’ve been so not active all winter, which bites.

February 14, 2014 at 8:02 pm

That’s amazing that your whole family follows it! I personally can’t wait to get back into eating white potatoes and rice. Potatoes are cut out for this month to deter people from things like fries or chips, which I totally would have eaten already by now! I’ll look forward to getting some feedback on the recipes soon! Thanks for following along :)

February 15, 2014 at 5:05 am
  • Reply Steph

I was really intrigued by the Whole30 program when I heard about it a few months ago and was considering doing it just to reset myself and get into a healthier eating routine. Then I found out I was pregnant lol so I figured maybe now wasn’t the best time to start. I think once baby is here in July I’ll give it a go!

February 15, 2014 at 9:09 am

The more I read about it, the more I get it and love it! But I mean… doing it while pregnant? Haha yeah… better wait!

February 15, 2014 at 10:36 am
  • Reply Danica

So excited to follow along your journey with this, after I saw you posting a few pics and comments in Instagram I went and read more about the Whole 30 stuff on the website. I wish I had the will power to try this but since seeing and reading about it I figured I could at least try to eat much more clean.

Can’t wait to see some recipes you share!

February 17, 2014 at 8:38 am

Thanks, lady! It does take a LOT of willpower, and I didn’t think I had it in me to do this, but two weeks later I’m still doing it. Eating cleaner is definitely easier than I thought, I can tell you that much :)
      Thanks for following along!

February 22, 2014 at 4:02 pm
  • Reply Paleo Cauliflower Cottage Pie - The Learner Observer

[…] ever since I started The Whole30 (you can read more about my first week here) I have gotten LOTS of questions from family, friends and readers.  Lots of things like […]

February 18, 2014 at 7:01 am
  • Reply Emily @ Two Purple Couches

So, as I’m reading this, I’m eating a piece of chocolate. #Whole30Fail
    I’m not one for “diets” and cleanses freak me out a bit. But, I can totally appreciate the desire to eat better and see, overall, what sort of improvements come out of it. I’m trying to be very conscious of what I’m eating, and trying to up my veggie intake for sure! Good luck! I’m looking forward to seeing some of the recipes you’re using!

February 18, 2014 at 5:23 pm
  • Reply The Whole30 - Week 2 and Salad Dressing - The Learner Observer

[…] Whole30 has actually been going surprisingly well!  After the migraines and extreme fatigue of week 1 passed, I actually started to feel better, except that I wasn’t sleeping very well. Not sure […]

February 24, 2014 at 6:01 pm