Advertisements

This is so very much like my wreath post a few weeks ago…I have totally jumped on another bandwagon and I don’t care who knows it.  Chalkboards are awesome and fun and as far as I’m concerned, a totally cool way to put up little notes for everyone to see.  And with the rise of chalkboards comes chalkboard art, which I fully intend to attempt with this awesome new addition of mine.  When does the next wagon of bands arrive?  I’ll be on it!  (I know… that makes no sense!)

Here’s how it all went down.  A few months ago my super awesome buddy Alisha and I went to this little place called Antiques on 48.  I love them.  Love love love.  It’s a heck of a drive for one stop, but well worth it.  We discovered it accidentally while on a MAJOR antiques-shopping day a few months back for skeleton keys for her wedding and it was love at first sight for both of us.  Isn’t it charming?

photo(1)

I knew during that visit I wanted a frame for a chalkboard, but I was having a hard time finding something genuinely old, not too fancy and at a decent price point.  I walked outside and saw this pile of old windows sitting in a dark corner.  It was raining and they were all wet, but I didn’t care… I had to look through for a potential chalkboard frame and I found one.  It was perfect!  And $10!  It was paid for and in my trunk within minutes.  I almost wanted to drive away right then and there, having one of those manic “Start the car!!” IKEA-commercial moments, but Alisha was still inside and I love her too much to leave her behind!

After weeks of living with an old crusty window in my house, I finally decided to take some action.  I broke all of the glass.  Yes, it hurt me (not physically) to have to do that, but it was necessary – there was no way I would have been able to perfectly fit anything into that frame over the glass, and though the thought of making it a dry-erase board did cross my mind, a chalkboard is what my little heart was set on.  Glass broken, check… parts of the frame itself also broken off, also check.

Advertisements

I was hit with a serious punch of panic and regret after looking at the glass-less, somewhat broken up frame (which now also had raw, musty wood exposed) and suddenly the unpainted greyish (in a very unattractive way) sides also caught my attention!  OH NO!

The Learner Observer: Window turned chalkboard - first steps

I attempted to ignore the problem and picked up some particle board on a trip to Home Depot with my husband that weekend.  It cost a whopping $4 and they cut it to size for me.  Love Home Depot.  I also got some chalkboard paint (at around $25 for the can) and got to work on the actual chalkboard part of this project.  Easy peasy!  All you’re really doing here is applying 2-3 coats of paint to a smooth, flat surface… no big deal.  I used a small foam roller for this and it was great.

Window turned chalkboard  part 5

Back to the window: the frame sat (now upstairs in the “office” – aka Luther’s room) staring at me and begging to be dealt with.  I grabbed a brush, some leftover white paint and unused glaze from the Rustoleum kit for the kitchen cupboards  and got to work.

First the glaze.  It went on extremely heavy!  I let it sit on the frame a bit in hopes the wood would absorb some of the colour…

Advertisements

The Learner Observer - window frame turned chalkboard step 2

… it kind of worked!

The Learner Observer - window frame turned chalkboard part 3

I realize some of you may be looking at that section of the frame up there, thinking “STOP! It’s done.”  The truth is, I photographed a “nice” looking corner… Not all of the frame looked quite that perfectly glazed.  Case and point:

The Learner Observer - window turned chalkboard part 4

My solution to the “dirty bits” was to add white paint.  There was no method to this part of the process.  I know… you’re all wondering if there was any method to ANY of this process.  No, there wasn’t.  There was simply a goal: to end up with a window-frame chalkboard!  Bring on the white paint!

The Learner Observer - window turned chalkboard part 5

Let it be known that I chose to paint the frame and chalkboard while suffering from a migraine.  I do not condone this behaviour – the fumes are not migraine-friendly.  After this part of the project was finished, I dragged myself to the couch and watched 2 episodes of Downton Abbey.  Headache cured!  (kidding… I wish!)

Chalkboard and frame came together once the paint was dry, and that’s when I thought I was done.  That’s also when I realized I was wrong!  To avoid permanent chalk marks from your first chalk-art, you need to condition the chalkboard by rubbing chalk all over then wiping off with a wet cloth, like this:

chalkboard collage

I should have done this step prior to screwing the frame and board together, but I don’t always think ahead… so this part had to be done with the frame on.

I know this post has officially gotten WAY too long… so I will be showing you how I hung this heavy window and my first chalkboard art in the next post.  Stay tuned!!

I link up here and here.

Advertisements

Deli Silva

March 4, 2013

A lot of work. Waiting to see the end of a project.

Alisha

March 4, 2013

You are SO charming. :) This might just be my favourite post to date! I can’t wait to see the final product! Love our antiquing adventures together, and can’t wait for the next one! Xoxo

March 4, 2013

You’re too sweet. I also can’t wait for more antiquing with you!!

Donna Wilkes

March 4, 2013

You will love the result when you hang it and begin using the chalk to draw and write messages. I am addicted to making them and have four in the works as we speak! Did you know you could make the glass a chalkboard?

March 4, 2013

Thanks Donna! I can’t wait – already have a few other chalkboard projects on my to-do list! I did originally plan on making the glass a chalkboard, but I didn’t think it would work. Days after I broke it, I started seeing posts about glass chalkboards everywhere! Next time I’ll research better :)

Lauren @ The Thinking Closet

March 6, 2013

Thalita, I LOVED this post…you’re snapping some lovely photos, my dear, and I absolutely loved all of the captions. They’re so quirky and fun! The chalkboard looks great, and I can’t wait to see it hanging up. (And by the by, I was wondering why I wasn’t catching your new posts even though I’m following you in bloglovin’ and when I click on your blog in bloglovin’, the last post it shows is the one of your ornament organizing. Any ideas? Following you on FB, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram, though, so hopefully I’ll be staying in the loop more. Don’t want to miss any of this goodness!)

March 6, 2013

Oh my goodness Lauren thank you!!! I’m having an issue with my RSS feed… Been trying to fix it, but so far nothing :( hoping I can get through it this week! Thank you for following!!! You’re too sweet.

organized31

March 7, 2013

Turned out wonderfully! And even I could follow your great directions. Please share at Talkin About Thursdays, http://organized31.blogspot.com/2013/03/talkin-about-thursday-link-party.html

March 7, 2013

Thank you so much!! I’m a visual learner myself, and sometimes without pictures I just don’t know how I would do anything! I’ll be sure to link up and add your button to my Link Parties page!

Kim @ Two Ten Designs

March 7, 2013

What a fantastic find! I love antiquing and salvage shops too, and never thought of using a window frame for the chalkboard. I love love love the chippy paint and charachter it’s got. Beautiful! So glad I found your blog – new follower here :)
    Thanks for sharing!
    Kim @ Two Ten

March 7, 2013

Thanks Kim!! I wasn’t sure about leaving the paint so “chippy”, but but you’re right, it does have a lot of character that way. I’m equally glad you found me so that I could find you – your blog is AWESOME!!

Kimberly

March 7, 2013

I love a good band wagon too. And as far as I can tell they are working for you girl! Some awesome projects. I hope you don’t mind. I nominated you for a Liebster award. I hope you play along!

March 8, 2013

Kimberly, that is so sweet! Thank you!! I’ll get to work on the Liebster award questions soon :)

Ruth

March 10, 2013

Love your chalkboard. It looks like it took quite a bit of work but it looks great.
    Ruth

March 10, 2013

Thanks Ruth! It was worth the effort, that’s for sure!

DeDe@DesignedDecor

March 11, 2013

You did a great job on the transformation! I love what you did to the frame. Thanks for linking up to Talkin’ About Thursday link party. I hope you will come back this week too!

March 11, 2013

Thanks so much! I definitely will!!!

carriehurst

March 11, 2013

I love it! I can’t wait to make something chalkboard for our kitchen. For sure on my summer to do list. Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

March 12, 2013

I can’t wait to see it! Thanks for checking out this project :)

Gail (@repurposedlife)

March 13, 2013

nice chalkboard! lots of work. ;)

i would love to shop at that place!

thelearnerobserver

March 14, 2013

Thanks Gail! All worth it (hopefully!). It’s a great spot if you are ever in Ontario!