5- minute boot tray makeover using rocks by The Learner Observer‘Tis the season for messy, wet and salt-stained EVERYTHING.  I just had the car washed Friday and today it looks like it was wrestling with a salt truck – my car lost!  There’s not much I can do about what happens out there, but I can try to control the mess at home and that was the goal with the ever dirty, ever gross-looking boot tray.

5- minute boot tray makeover using rocks by The Learner ObserverThere she is… in all her muddy/salty glory.  Such an eyesore, and so not how I like to greet my guests (or myself) when walking in the door.  Even Luther had something to “say” about this situation…

5- minute boot tray makeover using rocks by The Learner ObserverI can’t stage that, guys… he actually yawned just after giving the boot tray a side glance!

The solution to this sad situation?

Boot Tray Makeover Using Rocks

5- minute boot tray makeover using rocks by The Learner ObserverYes, you can get rocks for free… but right now all the free rocks are buried under a few feet of snow and I can’t get to them.  You think I can be patient, wait for it to thaw and do this rock makeover next year? HA! Patience is not a virtue I happen to have!  I had purchased some rocks at Dollarama before and that’s exactly where I headed for this project.  I ended up with a dozen of these little bags – mind you, my boot tray is quite long.

5- minute boot tray makeover using rocks by The Learner ObserverBefore I dumped them all out, I wiped the sides of the boot tray clean.  No, I did not clean the bottom because I am a lazy smart.  Water is going to drain through these rocks anyway and no one will see the salt stains anymore.

5- minute boot tray makeover using rocks by The Learner ObserverAnnnnnnnd done!  No word of a lie, this took five minutes.  And that includes the time I spent wiping the sides clean.  I’m so excited to have a boot tray that looks decent and functions well to get the mucky snow drained away from our boots.

Boot tray transformation in 5 minutes - The Learner ObserverEasy peasy lemon squeazy!!!  I’d be lying if I said I didn’t do a little happy clap when I saw how much better this is than the plain boot tray.  I might just keep this in our front entrance all year round because rocks aren’t seasonal.  Are they?

5- minute boot tray makeover using rocks by The Learner ObserverLuther seems to be just as impressed with the rock boot tray as he was with the regular rubber one.  I’m hoping you’re slightly more enthusiastic about it than he was!

How to add rocks to your boot tray to hide dirt and drain water from shoes and bootsEver tried something like this before?  If Luther can manage to leave the rocks alone, I think this just might work for us!

Until next time!

Vanessa

January 28, 2014

That looks so great, Thalita! Nicely done! Don’t you just love straightforward projects that look so polished?

January 28, 2014

Thanks, Vanessa!! Honestly, the ones that are so easy and look like they should have taken you days to complete are always the best!

Steph

January 28, 2014

Looks great! We could really use something like that in our entry.

January 28, 2014

Girl… do it! I’m on day 2 of living with it and loving that the snow just drains right to the bottom of the rocks without making everything look so gross!

Julia at Home on 129 Acres

January 28, 2014

Love the second last photo of Luther admiring the boot tray from a distance. Great composition!

January 28, 2014

Thanks, Julia! He just seems to place himself right in the middle of my photos. He sees the camera and poses, I swear!

Tash @ The Dreamhouse Project

January 28, 2014

LOVE this idea! So simple but super effective. Great job!

January 29, 2014

Thanks Tash!!! I’m loving it so far. I couldn’t stand seeing the nasty salt stains anymore :)

Allison

January 28, 2014

This same idea was one of my very first blogposts. It has been in our house for several years now and I love it. It’s also really easy to clean. In the summer I just take it outside, dump it on the sidewalk, hose it off, and bring it back in once it’s dry.

January 29, 2014

That’s so awesome!!!! It’s something so simple, but sometimes we overlook these little things that have a big impact. Also, I was wondering how I’d get them all clean and you totally answered that mental question I had for the last couple of days, so thank you!!!

Lauren @ The Thinking Closet

January 28, 2014

Oh my goodness. This is a seriously amazing LIFE HACK right here. I wish we had thought to do something so clever when we lived in Ohio. The snowy/salty/muddy shoes were always the bane of our front hall’s existence for pretty much half of the year. I know this will solve A LOT of folks’ woes, so high five, friend! Oh, and I agree with Julia about the Luther photo! Seriously, that needs to win a photo contest somewhere. ;-)

January 29, 2014

HAHA I hadn’t thought of it as a life hack but I can see now that it kind of is!!! I can’t say enough about how much I love having this already. The entry seems fresher and less dreadful (even if we do have some pretty dreadful winter mats on the floors!)

Aw man Luther has to take all the credit for that… I was just taking a boring photo when he went and got comfortable in the perfect spot! Thanks for saying that though :)

April @ Money Pit Love

January 29, 2014

Dude, that’s so dead simple… and so awesome! Looks great, and is TOTALLY year-round décor (can you imagine how cute a pair of green or yellow Wellies would look on those rocks? Awsmazing, that’s how.)

January 29, 2014

Oh my gosh I knooooooow! I wish I had done this sooner!
      Also, I say YES to those yellow Wellies!

Midsommarflicka

January 29, 2014

Truth to be told: Even if it wasn’t more practical I’d take the one with the stones… It looks just so great in an entry! :)

January 29, 2014

Thanks, friend!!!! Honestly, the practicality of it is just the icing on this Wintery cake!

Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

January 29, 2014

This is a great idea.
    Debi and Charly

Emily @ Two Purple Couches

January 30, 2014

Simple + smart = awesome! Our boot tray clutters up our kitchen, right by our back door, because that’s the way we go to take our pup out. I’m not a huge fan. But river rocks?! Now there’s a beautiful solution I can get behind!

January 31, 2014

If you’re gonna have to have a boot tray, it’s gonna need to be a bit pretty, right? And I honestly can’t believe they don’t sell boot trays like this because the functionality increased like 10 times after I put the rocks in, especially with all of the snow we have lately!

Interiors by Kelley Lively

January 31, 2014

What a great idea! Our entry is constantly a mess with snow/water/ice/salt. This is perfect!

February 4, 2014

Thanks, Kelley! It truly has made such a difference!

Consie @ Atop Serenity Hill

January 31, 2014

Love the idea! Just think my boxer would have the stones all over the house! Too much a puppy still. Had to pin the picture of Luther on my Because… board!! Great shot…

February 4, 2014

Hi Consie! I hear you on stones all over the house… Luther needed to be sternly told “no” for a few days. He’s used to playing with rocks outside. Of all things… But hey, they grow up and get it…. eventually! Thanks for the compliment on the shot! I give Luther all the credit :)

Christie

February 1, 2014

Great idea, it looks awesome!

February 4, 2014

Thanks a million, Christie!

The B Sandra Lee

February 7, 2014

I LOVE this idea! makes the room look so great! Thanks for sharing your idea, will be using it for my future house :) Following you on facebook and twitter!

Sandra

February 10, 2014

Thanks so much, Sandra!!! I can tell you it works like a charm!!! Off to check out your super cute blog!

Katie

March 17, 2014

What an awesome and easy fix!

March 17, 2014

Thanks Katie!! It has made all the difference in our tiny front entrance! :)

Britt

September 10, 2017

What kind of glue did you use?

September 10, 2017

I actually didn’t use any glue. The rocks sit loosely in the tray and I take them out a couple of times a year to wash everything :)