Advertisements

Essential to all living things – water.  But let’s face it, sometimes you want something with a little more… flavour!  It’s easy to reach for the soda – believe me, I am more than guilty of that on occasion, however, we don’t ever keep anything other than orange juice, milk, carbonated water and of course ‘regular’ water in our fridge as far as beverages go, so what is one to do when looking for something to quench the Summer thirst that also tastes delicious?

Flavoured Water  The Learner Observer

I have been keeping a batch in our fridge for the last 3 weeks or so, and it is SO nice to always have something different to reach for.  It all started with lemon water – Alex really likes it, so we went with that for the first little bit.  Last week it evolved to cucumber, lemon and mint – also known as “Detox Water“?  I’m not sure about all the detoxifying qualities it holds, but it sure tastes good!  This time around I wanted to experiment with what we had in the fridge and what I haven’t (yet) killed of our herb garden.  Here’s what I started with:

Herbs used in faloured water You may be thinking “Ok, I get the mint, but rosemary and thyme in water?”  Yes… because how delicious do those two herbs smell?  Very!  Therefore they also taste delicious, right?  If I hadn’t killed my basil, that would have been on the cutting board too!

Advertisements

Fruits for flavoured waterLOTS of options and ton of opportunities to get creative here.  I only attempted 4 different combinations this time around, but I was tempted to keep going! I had at least 2 different ingredients in each glass, which is not necessary, but makes them (obviously) tastier and gives a more special look to the beverage – not something I take into consideration when it’s just for me, but think of the entertaining possibilities here!  Here are the flavours I tried:

Flavoured Water - The Learner ObserverI didn’t actually taste any of these myself.  Ha! It turned out that Alex was having a recording session at the same time I decided to experiment with these, so I let them be my guinea pigs.  Well the guinea pigs liked what they tasted!  The best thing with these being so fresh is that you can just eat the fruit after you finish drinking.  Bonus dessert!  I’m going to make the strawberry, cucumber and mint one again tomorrow – it just looks too good!

Here are some other combinations I considered. Note: I added lemon to these combos because it’s the most popular thing to put in water!

Flavoured Water Combinations  The Learner ObserverYUM!  Doesn’t this make you want to try them all?  I’m curious to know if anyone has other tried and tested combinations they’d like to share!

Advertisements

Final note – these are MUCH better when they have time to sit a while (like overnight) so that the water really takes on all flavours, but if you’re on a time crunch, I suggest just stirring with a spoon with light pressure on the fruits, and chopping up the herbs is always an option for stronger taste too!

xoxo

Here‘s where I link up!

Advertisements

Steph

July 10, 2013

These look so good! I’m going to have to try some for sure!

July 10, 2013

They are SO GOOD! I tried raspberry thyme yesterday – super refreshing!

thethinkingcloset

July 10, 2013

I’m getting thirsty just reading this post! What a brilliant idea, Thalita! Who needs crystal light or expensive sweetened water when you can d.i.y! And this is definitely the healthier option. I’d love to dry the berries with mint option. Though they look so pretty in the mason jars, I might be too busy looking at them to drink them. Pinning!

July 10, 2013

Thanks, Lauren!! I kept starring at the watermelon one… I loved the shade of pink in the mason jar after the ice frosted the glass a little. They are quite delicious, though. The thyme is surprisingly delicious in water – so refreshing!

Tried&Twisted

July 12, 2013

Those look super refreshing! I’ll have to give it a try soon.
    Toodles,
    Sara

July 12, 2013

Thank you Sara! You won’t regret it – They are super refreshing and delicious!

carolyns homework

July 12, 2013

I just wanted to let you know that I featured your wonderful project on homework. Thanks so much for sharing it on The Inspiration Board. Have a great weekend!

carolyn
    homework &
    DETAIL

July 13, 2013

That is so exciting!!! Thank you so much Carolyn. It’s always such an honour when someone wants to share something I did and I really appreciate you doing that! So sweet :)

Anyonita

July 15, 2013

I love the idea of flavored water but when it come down to it, I just stick with strawberry. Lol. I need to be more adventurous with my water flavorings! You have inspired me!: ) Thank you so much for linking up with me this week at Tasty Tuesdays! I’ve pinned this & shared it with my followers! Please be sure to stop back by the party and check out some of the other links!

July 16, 2013

That is super exciting news!!! Thank you! Oh and I hear you on the strawberry – that was a staple of mine for a long time, but trust me, you won’t regret throwing in some other fruits and herbs. It’s just so tasty!!

Anyonita

July 16, 2013

I’ve just posted my Tasty Tuesdays link party on my blog & wanted to tell you that this recipe has been featured! You can find the feature <a href= http://anyonitanibbles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/tasty-tuesdays-19-seven-wonderful-watermelon-recipes.html<here. Don’t forget to grab our features button and link up again!

July 16, 2013

LOVE IT! Thanks so much. I adore your link parties!!!

Jennifer@ Blissfully Ever After

July 18, 2013

Thalita, this is such a great idea! I’m featuring you at our “Inspire Me Please” blog party. Thanks so much for linking up :)
    xo, Jennifer

July 18, 2013

That is super awesome!!!! Thank you so much Jennifer!

twopurplecouches

July 31, 2013

You inspired me to branch out of lemon wedges and into cocktail-inspired flavors! Check out today’s post: http://twopurplecouches.com/2013/07/31/mojito-mojo/ :D

August 1, 2013

LOVE IT!!!!! Thanks for linking back to me! And I SO want to try some of this mojito-flavoured water!