I know it’s hard to believe for some of you that I didn’t just make a pie, but also a cake! And the cake was 100% from scratch! I made a carrot cake from scratch!!! Does repeating it make it more real?
This cake has a little bit of history in our household. It’s the cake I made Alex for his birthday when we had just started dating. He requested a carrot cake, and I very reluctantly agreed to make it. I had NEVER made one before. I even bought a box mix just in case this didn’t turn out.
But it did!
I’ve made this cake about 4 times now. I know… that’s not a lot of times, but I feel like a bit of an expert already. So, if you love carrot cake (and cream cheese icing) get ready for the following array of pictures as I take you step by step through this process. It’s a bit of a long one!
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 2 cups (500 mL) grated carrots
- 1 cup (250 mL) drained crushed canned pineapple
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped pecans or walnuts
- 2 8 oz (250g) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (60 mL) butter, softened
- 1 tsp (2 mL) vanilla
- 2 cups (250 mL) icing sugar
- Grease and flour a bundt cake pan (I use a silicone one and it's amazing so I highly recommend that); set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- In separate bowl, beat together granulated and brown sugars, eggs, oil and vanilla until smooth; pour over flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Stir in carrots, pineapple and pecans. Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven for 45 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack.
- (Make-ahead: Cover with plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 2 days. Or overwrap with heavy duty foil and freeze for up to 2 weeks; let thaw before continuing.)
- In bowl, beat cream cheese with butter until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Beat in icing sugar, one-third at a time, until smooth. Spread over top of cake.
- (Make-ahead: Cover loosely and refrigerate for up to I day.)
- This cake is DELICIOUS! I made a few changes to the original recipe since I used a bundt cake pan, so the icing amount is doubled. I have also tried it with both pecans and walnuts and both are great!
Carrot cake from scratch: the making in pictures!
That’s it! That’s how I made carrot cake from scratch. All by myself. Looks pretty easy, right?
Trust me, if I can do it, ANYONE can! I did sprinkle some walnuts and coconut on top of the iced cake as well, just to add a bit of texture and make it a little prettier.
I really wish I hadn’t made this cake for Thanksgiving because I could totally go for a piece of it right now!
Any suggestions on how to make Canada’s Best Carrot Cake better?
P.S. The smell of this baking was oh-so-yummy and made my house smell super duper homey and amazing.
Now I’m off to dream about cream cheese icing…Visit Website