In case you’re wondering, the title of this post is a quote from Jess of the show “New Girl.”  You can read the whole adorable thing here.  Back to the actual blog post…

There seems to be a huge influx of patterns in fashion and home decor lately, and I have to say it can be refreshing to see geometric patterns on everyday items because it makes them so much more special.  My first attempt at patterning on decor was with the cigar box, and I am still completely happy with the look!  For this little project, I wanted to also incorporate the metallic trend that is making a comeback and we needed a little catchall bowl for the living room.  It seems watches, rings, and my bobby pins tend to end up on any surface around the main floor, and I figured a bowl meant for these little things would at least keep them all in one place.

gold bowl main

My intention was to find a plain white bowl at a thrift store or the dollar store, but I was having no luck finding a shape I liked, and a size that didn’t make it look so much like a soup or ice cream bowl.  On a trip to IKEA (yes, I do know that it seems that I am there every other day… however, I promise you that’s not the case), I saw some sweet little white bowls, then a little turquoise beauty caught my eye.  I got them both.  At $3 a piece, I figured the bowl not used for this project will be put to use somewhere else… the bathroom could use a catchall too!

I stopped at a craft store one Friday night (I know, I have a very exciting life), and came home to plot how I’d make good use of my new gold Sharpie paint marker!  I should mention that I got the oil based marker as opposed to the water based one.  I’ve read the oil based can last longer and handle more wear and tear.

gold  bowl 1

My initial plan for the bowl was to free-hand some sort of design on it, but I was afraid I’d mess it all up and the oil-based paint is just so permanent!  Then I figured I’d use tape to make a stencil, like on the cigar box, but a linear pattern seemed too ambitious on a convex/concave area, so I brought the hole puncher out and decided on polka dots.  Because seriously, who doesn’t love polka dots?

gold bowl 2

As usual, I didn’t follow a particular pattern and just stuck the hole-y tape down on the bowl randomly.  I failed to take pictures of me actually filling in the dots with the marker, but it was pretty straight forward – it was just like using a marker to fill in circles!  Duh!

gold bowl 3

As you can see, some MOST of the dots are not perfect.  It seems that I either needed better tape or I should have pressed down much, much harder (probably the second one…).  Either way, I’m happy with the results.  The imperfections don’t really matter, I still think it’s a great and fun little piece!

gold bowl 5

And one last shot, just because I adore this little bowl so much!

gold bowl 6

Has anyone tried any stenciling projects with tape or a Sharpie marker?  I’d love to see what you’ve made – I’m itching to use the marker again!!

signature

Here and here are where I’m linking up!

WOOOT!  This post got featured! :)

Show-and-Tell-Button2

March 15, 2013

March 15, 2013

March 15, 2013

February 26, 2013

Deli

February 28, 2013

So adorable and trend. Loved it.

Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com

February 28, 2013

That is absolutely adorable! I’m Pinning it. And, if you haven’t already, I’d love if you’d come join my How To Tuesday link party, too.

February 28, 2013

Thanks so much Katie, and I definitely will!!! :)

Courtney

February 28, 2013

So cute! I’m going to have to try this one!

February 28, 2013

Thanks Courtney! It’s super easy – heck, if I can do it, anyone can!

Lora @ craftivitydesigns

February 28, 2013

Very cute! I like that you used the colored bowl – I’ve seen a lot with white, but the gold looks great with that blue :)

March 1, 2013

Thanks so much Lora! Glad you like it :)

Leanne

March 2, 2013

That is so cute! Found your blog through Live Laugh Rowe :) New follower!

March 3, 2013

Thank you Leanne!! :)

Anonymous

March 4, 2013

Very cute and great idea with the hole punch and painters tape!

Kristina

March 4, 2013

Thank you Kristina! Amazing what you can do with everyday stuff at home :)

Leah

March 4, 2013

So pretty – darn, I was just at IKEA and didn’t see pretty blue bowls like this one. Love the gold dots, it’s a great combo.

March 4, 2013

Aw well there’s ways next time, Leah! Thanks for reading and checking out the blog!!

ntcreations

March 5, 2013

super cute!!! Do you think you could wash that kind of sharpie paint marker? I popped over from Project Inspire… I host a Tasteful Tuesday Party that I would love for you to join! http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2013/03/tasteful-tuesday-link-party-and-features.html

March 5, 2013

Hi Emily. Thanks so much! I’ve heard that the oil markers are ok to be washed, especially once you bake the item in the oven (which I have not done yet). I’ll definitely link up today and add your button to my links page. Thanks again!!

ashley rachelle

March 5, 2013

so in love! very kate spade. sometimes a good-looking random pattern is hard to achieve – but you totally rocked it! xo

March 5, 2013

Oh my goodness… that might just be THE greatest compliment ever. I’ll have to frame that and put it up on my wall…”very kate spade”?!?! Ashley, you’ve just made my week! Thank you SO much!

twopurplecouches

March 5, 2013

Yeah!! You’re back!!! And your new site is totally amazeballs ;) love it!
    and love this polka-dotted bowl, and New Girl.
    i love a lot today, apparently!

March 5, 2013

haha laughed out loud at that one! Thanks so much!!! Can’t have polka dots and not channel a little New Girl goodness… plus I just cut some bangs, so I had Zooey on the brain!

Brenda @ChattingOverChocolate.blogspot.com

March 5, 2013

LOVE!! :*)

March 5, 2013

Thank you!!! So glad you liked it :)

Lauren @ The Thinking Closet

March 6, 2013

Thalita, this turned out fabulously. In fact, I have an idea to refashion a purse with gold dots…and I thought about using paint, but a sharpie might do the trick, as well! Thanks for the inspiration, girl.

March 6, 2013

That sounds like an amazing idea!!! These oil based markers seem great so far – really holding up to stuff just being thrown… I mean carefully placed… In the bowl :)

Bethany

March 6, 2013

That’s so cute! Great idea to use a hole punch!

March 6, 2013

Thank you Bethany! Spur of the moment idea :)

Beth @ Free Stylin'

March 6, 2013

SO pretty! Thanks for the great idea!

March 7, 2013

Thanks Beth! I really appreciate you stopping by :)

Crystelle Boutique

March 7, 2013

This is really pretty! It deserves a feature!

hugs x
    Crystelle

March 7, 2013

Thanks Crystelle!! I really enjoyed making it, and it’s one of my favourite little things in the house, so it’s such a bonus when other people like it too!

Selene Galindo

March 7, 2013

What a cute idea! I love the colors you chose..will be trying this very very soon! Thanks for sharing!
    Selene @ restorationbeauty.com

March 7, 2013

Thanks Selene! Looking forward to going to check out your blog now!!

cindyeikenberg

March 7, 2013

This is beautiful! Popping over from the party at livelaughrowe to say hello and tell you how much I like your bowl. Thanks so much for sharing and have a great evening!

March 7, 2013

Oh that’s so nice! Thanks so much!!

Michele

March 7, 2013

Love polkadots too! Now I’m inspired to do an easter bowl:)

March 7, 2013

Polka dots are just so fun you can’t help but love them right? I’d love to see it when you make one!!

Leia

March 7, 2013

Love it- so cute! And I love how easy it is! I’m definitely pinning this! Stopping by from Talkin’ About Thursday blog hop.
    -Leia @ latitudeadjustment1.blogspot.com

March 7, 2013

Thanks so much Leia!! I’m so glad you stopped by, and thanks for the Pin!

ngnrdgrl

March 7, 2013

This bowl is too cute! I love the turquoise color and the gold sharpie really does seal the deal. I have seen people using these sharpie markers for so many wonderful projects. I saw someone stencil on their wall with a sharpie marker! Oh, my! I haven’t tried any sharpie projects out (yet). Thanks for sharing with us!

March 8, 2013

It’s definitely encouraging to see others working in much bigger ways with such a small item!! Starting small is always comforting I suppose :) Thanks so much for stopping by and checking it out!!

Laura @ Elegant Nest

March 8, 2013

Love this little bowl! It reminds me of my gold leaf~polka dot~paper mache bowls I made last fall…but much easier. Gonna have to try this out!

March 8, 2013

Thanks Laura! Off to check out your bowls right now! They sound amazing!!

cuckoo4design

March 8, 2013

Stopping over from Happy Hour at Design, Dinging and Diapers. Love your gold Sharpie pola dots. My project was with a gold sharpie too. I’m #202

March 8, 2013

Thanks for checking out my sharpie project!! I’m headed over to see yours now! :)

Bethany Lee (@PitterAndGlink)

March 8, 2013

This is so cute! Great job!

March 8, 2013

Thank you Bethany!!! So glad you stopped by!

Anja

March 9, 2013

Clever idea! Love the gold details, and the way you did them, the polka dots turned out so neat.
    I am your newest follower, by the way!

Anja @ cocalores.blogspot.com

March 9, 2013

Hi Anja,

Thank you so much!! I’m just about to go check out your blog now. Took a quick peek – you have some great projects!!

Diana Rambles

March 9, 2013

Super pretty! I’d like to invite you to participate in my Pin Me Linky Party. It goes Fri-Tue. I allow up to 3 links each week! I’m a new FB follower!

March 9, 2013

Hi Diana,

thanks so much for the comment and invite. I’ll be sure to pin and link you button my my Link Parties page!

Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

March 9, 2013

This is so pretty. We have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this and any other posts with everyone. It runs from Tuesday night through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
    We are also having a giveaway this week for a $50.00 Target Gift Card, so head over to enter.
    We hope to see you there.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

March 9, 2013

Thanks so much! I’m linking up now and will add your button to my Link Parties page!

Lauren Monique

March 9, 2013

That’s adorable! Love a cute bowl for a catch-all for jewelry and keys.

March 9, 2013

It almost makes you want to have them all over the house, doesn’t it? Thanks for stopping by Lauren!

eskibs

March 9, 2013

This look awesome! I have to be honest, I didn’t used to be a gold person, but I’m loving touches of it here and there now. This bowl is the perfect balance. I cannot wait to try this technique :) Thanks for the inspiration!

March 10, 2013

I’m with you! I was never big on gold… now I love seeing little bits of it everywhere. Thanks for the kind words!

Julie

March 9, 2013

This is awesome! I want to run out and buy a gold sharpie right now!!

March 10, 2013

haha Thanks Julie! They are pretty awesome :)

carriehurst

March 11, 2013

If you’re going to have a “catchall”, it might as well be cute! Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

March 12, 2013

I totally agree :)

Jessi @ Practically Functional

March 13, 2013

Love this! I featured this on my blog today! http://practicallyfunctional.net/2013/03/the-fun-in-functional-link-party-41/

March 13, 2013

That’s amazing! Thanks so much!!! :)

carriehurst

March 13, 2013

SHaring this on my FB page tomorrow!

March 13, 2013

That’s so sweet. Thank you!!!!

Gail (@repurposedlife)

March 13, 2013

I love sharpies and painter’s tape!
    you did a wonderful job with this bowl. It’s so pretty!
    thanks for linking up and linking back to catch as catch can.
    gail
    ps catching you!

thelearnerobserver

March 14, 2013

Thank you!! Those are always good tools to have when crafting :)

Holly Lefevre

March 14, 2013

This is awesome. I love how you did it. I am featuring you later n Tickled Pink!

March 14, 2013

That’s amazing! Thank you so much!!

Meg

March 15, 2013

This is so cute, have you noticed any problems with the sharpie coming off? I tried this with a regular sharpie and baked it for 1 hour and the sharpie came off in the dishwasher…any tips, ideas?

-Meg, http://www.willwork4cupcakes.blogspot.com

March 15, 2013

Hi Meg,

Great question – though I have not yet washed this little bowl (since we don’t eat from it), I don’t know if the dishwasher would completely ruin it. What I CAN tell you is that we literally throw our watches, rings and other nick knacks in it very day and there has yet to be a scratch on the polka dots! I hope that helps a little. I do want to try using this on dishes that will be washed frequently, so I will follow up once I see the damage (and hopefully it’s none!).

Gabbi @ Retro Ranch Reno

March 15, 2013

This is too darn cute!! I literally just made over some desk accessories for my office with a sharpie paint marker! I’ll have to share with you! And I use regular sharpie metallic markers to make pretty polka dots on my manicures. :) Great job!!

March 15, 2013

Gabbi that is genius!!! I never would have thought of that for manicures! I definitely want to see your desk accessories – you might just inspire me to do more with this magic little marker!

Mandy |Small Fine Print|

March 16, 2013

This is very cool :) You did a great job!

I’d love for you to join my weekly linky party going on right now at smallfineprint.com

March 17, 2013

Thanks so much Mandy. I definitely will! :)

Shavonda @ AHomeFullOfColor

April 10, 2013

Hi there! Just found you via HoH! I love your version of this profect! I really like the way you used tape and a hole punch to create your dots. I did a gold polka dot project a while ago, too and I would have never thought to use the tape and hole punch combo. I just freehanded mine. Thanks so much for sharing. You can check out my project, too if you’d like

April 11, 2013

That is so awesome! Thanks for checking it out :) I LOVE the designs you used for yours!!!

Justynn

May 10, 2013

I love this! going to try it myself. Thanks for the inspiration!

May 11, 2013

That’s fantastic! Thank you for stopping by :)

Sharon B.

June 6, 2013

I love polka dots and I love this project! So glad I saw this at the ditto diy gold challenge. I’m pinning it to my polka dots board on Pinterest!

June 6, 2013

That’s so sweet of you, Sharon! Thank you!!

Sherry Hart

July 5, 2013

Brilliant!

July 5, 2013

Thanks Sherry!! :)

Kassie

January 14, 2014

This is so cute! Gonna have to try it….

January 15, 2014

Thank you, Kassie!!! It’s almost too easy not to try ;)

Brandi

August 9, 2014

This is such a cute craft idea. I love the gold polka dots!

August 10, 2014

Thanks, Brandi! I seem to have a bit of an obsession with both of those things: gold and polka dots! :)