4 wayd to help keep pet hair off the bed for good! | TheLearnerObserver.com

Clean comforter and pets. Is it possible to have both?

Day 7 and we’re talking pets today. If you are not a pet person, you may want to skip this one because you’ll probably roll your eyes 11,000 times at how cute I think my dog is.  Sorry.

4 wayd to help keep pet hair off the bed for good! | TheLearnerObserver.com

In an effort to focus on less stuff and more of what makes my house a home, I can’t possibly leave out our little 40lb monster.  He’s by far the thing that makes me feel most like going home at the end of a bad day because he greets us at the door with a wagging tail and (literally) jumping up for joy.  He can barely handle going outside long enough to pee before he wants to run right back into the house to be near us.  It’s the greatest thing when you’ve had a rough day and I honestly couldn’t do without it anymore.

Does this mean I have the perfect pet?  If you follow me on Instagram you know what a real pest this little guy can be – he eats EVERYTHING.  You also know how ridiculously adorable he is.

At around 9:30-10:00pm every night, Luther gets ready for bed.

Oh, you think I’m joking?

No.  Dog literally curls up next to us on the couch (right after his habitual 3 spins) and settles in for a long nap.  It’s insane.  And adorable.

The second we say the words “let’s go to bed” or “it’s bedtime” he’s running up the stairs and waiting by the bedroom door.  Sure, he curls up in his own doggy bed and we throw a blanket over him and…

Okay.

Pause.

A blanket?  On a dog?

Let me explain… this little brat (that we adopted almost exactly one year ago from The Humane Society) loooo-huh-huh-ves being curled up underneath some blankets.  How do we know?  I mean, how does anyone know anything about dogs.  They’re just animals and they don’t talk, right?

But you guys…this dog jumped up on my bed one night and pawed at the comforter next to me.  I lifted it up thinking he saw something under there and he (as fast as lightning) got under them, crawled down around my legs, spun three times, curled up and FELL ASLEEP!  Out cold!

This brings me to my next issue…

4 wayd to help keep pet hair off the bed for good! | TheLearnerObserver.com

Luther does this thing where he pretends to fall asleep in his bed, but really he’s just waiting until we fall asleep so that he can very stealthily jump up on our bed and curl up between Alex and I, thus taking all of my covers away and leaving me with little to no room to move if I so wish.

Seriously, it feels a little bit like torture sometimes.  Then he curls up around my waist, puts his face on my hand and licks it, like he’s saying “Thanks for letting me sleep here tonight, even though I know how much you hate it when I steal your covers and push you over the edge of the bed.” And in my sleepy haze and lazyness, I don’t bother to shoo him off the bed.  Stupid me.

Then I wake up in the morning to make the bed and I see dog hair all over my off-white comforter and I want to scream a little.  Sometimes I actually do.  Then I take out the lint brush and start going at it like a lunatic, ripping off stupid sticky sheet after stupid sticky sheet only to see that THERE IS STILL DOG HAIR ON THE BED!

Please, please, please… tell me I am not alone.

Just this weekend I changed the bed sheets and announced for the one billionth time that “Luther is NOT allowed on the bed!”

My husband laughed at me.  Rightly so.

I lost that battle.  Hard!

So what’s my solution to this?

1. I wash the comforter once a week.  We change between this one and a couple of other thin bedspreads during the summer, and in the winter the duvet comes out, which means I wash the cover weekly.  Yeah… Removing and putting back on the bloody duvet cover ONCE A WEEK!  Such a pain.

2. Put a blanket on the bed. This doesn’t always keep him off the sheets, but it does help a lot to contain the hair to one blanket, which is way easier to wash than a comforter or duvet!

3. I get over it. I mean, really, if I wasn’t prepared for dog hair basically all over my house, I wouldn’t have a dog, right?

4. Be patient. Over time we’ve taught Luther that he can only come on the bed if we invite him, so if he jumps up we ask him to get off, wait a while and invite him up. He gets all excited to be allowed on the bed! Cesar Millan says: “If you want your dog to sleep in bed with you, fine. It’s natural for dogs to sleep with other members of the pack, and it’s a powerful way to bond with your animal. But don’t let the dog take over the bed! Always invite him up first.” {Source}

In case you are equally perplexed about this issue, an article in the New York Times called “Warm Nights, Cold Noses” goes into great detail about pets (not just dogs) sleeping in a bed with its owners and also quotes Cesar Millan.  It brings up issues of people being more prone to getting diseases and yet doesn’t seem to make any real statements that you WILL get sick if your dog sleeps with you, so for now things are staying as they are.

4 wayd to help keep pet hair off the bed for good! | TheLearnerObserver.com

*Update (July 27, 2016): You guys, it worked! #4 is the reason I can now keep my sanity about dog hair on the bed. Luther has learned (mostly) to only come up when invited and won’t even go on other beds in the house when we’re not here. He gets it!!!!

Has anything worked for you? You can see lots of tips in the comments, so please feel free to add your own!!

• Reply Kristy gd

We have a jack russell and a cat. Both sleep in the bed with us, and we wouldn’t have it any other way. If you don’t want to kick your dog out all the time, you might consider creating a specific spot for him. Bug (my dog) sleeps by my husband’s feet. Often, he’ll be told “go to your spot” and he knows just what to do. You could also reinforce his ‘spot’ by putting a blanket there, which might also help concentrate the shedding. It requires a bit of training, but as long as he understands ‘here’ or an equivalent, it shouldn’t be too hard. I think it took us about a month before Bug just knew what to do without being told. Plus, this would put you in a position where you could invite him up. (The cat also has her spot, but there really is no telling her what to do, just keeping the dog out of that spot!)

As for the health issue, here’s my $.02. From what I have gathered from numerous vet tech friends, it’s only a problem if you aren’t keeping your pet healthy, If you take your dog in for shots and general checkups as well as keep them free of ticks and fleas, than you should be fine since they only pass on illness if they are sick (allergies aside). Yes, if your dog gets fleas those will get all over your sheets where they might not if he wasn’t allowed on the bed, but that’s a risk you take. I’m neither a vet nor a doctor, so this is just what I’ve gathered from people in the business that I trust,

Sorry for the wordy comment. ><

October 7, 2013 at 9:16 am

I LOVE the spot idea! We do try to put his blanket there but the little bugger likes to be underneath it. Maybe 2 blankets are needed? Seriously. Most spoiled dog ever.

I agree with you on the health issues. If the dog is healthy, I’d think it’s all good. Plus, after a year of having him we have had no issues.

P.S. I love wordy comments :)

October 8, 2013 at 6:47 pm
  • Reply Alex @ northstory

Oh man, I wish I could offer some awesome suggestions for this but then you’d have to offer me suggestions on how to keep a cream rug and carpet the colour cream with little children in the house. It’s the great mystery of life.

October 7, 2013 at 1:27 pm

hahaha I will get back to you in a few years ;)

October 8, 2013 at 7:10 pm
  • Reply Allison

I miss having a dog sleep on the bed. My last dog slept with me before I met my husband so he just dealt with her always being on the bed. After she died, one of the compromises that let me get a new dog (which actually became two new dogs) was that they’re not allowed on the bed our the couch. It makes me sad to see them lying down there but given that one is 90 pounds, there’s no way we could all fit.

October 7, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Oh my goodness Allison, 90 pounds would be difficult to deal with, no doubt! But hey, at least your pups have each other to keep warm :) If we ever get a second dog, the sleeping on the bed will have to end!

October 8, 2013 at 7:15 pm
  • Reply Anonymous

He is adorable! Let him stay. Our dog (s) have slept with us. For 20 years. Never caught a disease or been sick from them.

October 7, 2013 at 8:33 pm

haha it’s his adorable-ness that keeps him in there, that’s for sure! Thanks for reassuring me that we are safe though :)

October 8, 2013 at 7:16 pm
  • Reply Julia at Home on 129 Acres

Okay, you and I may be the same person. We adopted a dog three and a half months ago and he’s the greatest thing that’s happened to us since we found our farm. Even though you and I were separated at birth, our dogs are apparently not related. Ever since the first night, he’s slept in his own bed in the living room. He’s never tried to get on the bed and rarely even comes down to the bedroom end of the hall. We do our best to keep him off the rest of the furniture too, but he has adopted one chair as his own when we’re not home. We keep that one covered with a sheet. It’s not the most stylish, but I’d rather have that than dog fur. The one thing that I’ve discovered is that he likes to snuggle tightly. Currently, he’s curled up on his pillow on the floor tucked into the corner of the sectional. His newest bed which is a huge hit has a doughnut/bolster all the way around the outside edge and he likes nestling right up against it.

October 7, 2013 at 9:11 pm
  • Reply Dani @ lifeovereasy

Your pooch sounds lucky he found you! And probably you’re lucky you found him! I have a huge fluffy dog that I am hopelessly in love with and I LOVE having him in our bed! Never thought I’d say that, but there you go. He doesn’t shed, but my duvet cover is white linen, so you can imagine what pawprints look like on that. We do our best to wipe/wash his paws, but it’s a losing battle. My solution is to get a cute blanket that is easy to wash often, that I just throw on at night. It’s big enough to cover the bed, and it works well enough. Besides, how can you say no to those eyes?

October 7, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Hi Dani!
      Thank you for making me feel normal about having the dog in the bed with us! The pawprints can be a challenge when they come running in before you can block them! I’ve had to pull off freshly washed covers thanks to that happening one muddy Spring day!
      Thanks for the big blanket idea! I’m going to try to stick to that to make myself less frustrated because the problem is that we CAN’T say no to those eyes and he knows it. Ugh!

October 8, 2013 at 7:24 pm
  • Reply Steph

I think the pet on the bed thing is completely dependent on each family. Personally, I’d feel awful pushing a sweet little face away when they wanted some love, but that works fine for others. Our cat sleeps with us off and on throughout the night, and although a 10lb cat is much different from a 40lb dog, the hair thing does drive me nuts too. However, the comfort of having the furbaby to cuddle with is worth it to me :) it sounds to me like you’ve found a good compromise and I’m sure Luther loves being cuddled with you guys at night!

October 8, 2013 at 10:38 am

I’m just glad other people somehow deal with the hair madness!!! It is true – the comfort of having them there (especially if my husband is away) is unbeatable!

October 8, 2013 at 6:50 pm
  • Reply Emily @ Two Purple Couches

We adopted our dog, a Bichon mix, nearly a year ago, too! Molly, however, does not sleep in our bed. That was my husband’s one rule, and while I’d love to have her warm little body curled up with us, I also know that it would probably be a pain in the butt, because she never stays in the same spot for more than 2 minutes. She’s also only 11lbs with stubby legs, and our bed is kind of high off the ground, so she can’t jump in, no matter how relentlessly she tries. She sleeps in a crate in our bedroom (but we have to tempt her to go in with treats). She’s not supposed to shed, but does. We have purple couches and a white dog. So, it’s the opposite of your dog-shedding-problem :-P We vacuum and lint-roll our sofa quite frequently!

October 8, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Molly sounds like she’s the cutest thing ever! Luther thankfully doesn’t move too much, but he does step on our legs occasionally. Ouch!

I thank my lucky stars for lint rollers every day.

October 8, 2013 at 7:04 pm
  • Reply Michele

Ah dogs on the bed. Our first rescue dog never even attempted to get on the bed. Our second one slept on the floor (not her dog bed) until the one time my husband invited her up on the bed. Now it’s a free-for-all. Mind you, she doesn’t sleep on his side of the bed — so why would he find this to be a problem? This week we started fostering a chiweenie and he sleeps on the bed under the covers. Not a huge problem, you think? He’s little, right? Well, this is what sleeping looks like now: my hubs has his 1/2 of the bed. The chiweenie is at his feet in the middle of the bed. Our 70 pound rottie is on the opposite side of the bed on top of the covers– my side of the bed (in theory anyway). And me? I’m squeezed in there diagonally across the bed, bent slightly in half, so that I can fit in the available space. I’m exhausted! At this point I’m much more worried about getting sleep, than I am getting dog hair on the bed. :)

October 9, 2013 at 9:29 am

I was LOL-ing at this comment for SO long!!!! I totally hear you on losing sleep, too. Luther has given us a few sleepless nights thanks to jumping on and off the bed all night. So annoying. I sincerely hope that you can have your space back soon!

October 10, 2013 at 7:49 pm
  • Reply April

OK, so this is going to make me sound insane (which I probably am) but this is our solution to Chloe’s separation anxiety, when she experiences it (for the record, she sleeps in a crate in our bedroom, but every now and then gets antsy and demanding about sleeping in bed with us. This is our solution.)

I keep a few “dirty” blankets in our closet for her, that I stuff in her crate when she’s feeling blue, or needy. By “dirty” I mean: I’ve slept on them for a few nights, and wrapped up in them while watching tv at night or whatever, so that they smell like me/us. The ones that have been in our bed seem to work the best, so I use them most often. I also move her crate (which is usually on the far side of the room) to my bedside, so I can put a hand down to her. No system is perfect but for the most part, this works.

Knowing he’s not a crate guy – and who can blame him? – maybe getting him his own dog bed, placing it beside your bed and filling it with blankets that smell like family might work? If it’s warmth he’s looking for too, you could also consider a heating pad set on low.

Alternatively, maybe think about black or dark grey sheets, so the hair doesn’t show up as much? It’s not much of a plan B, but if you stop fighting it, maybe it won’t seem so bad.

For the record, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with pets sleeping with their people, as long as everyone is happy and in agreement. I’ve slept with pets all my life, and never once been sick because of it. I think that whole line of thinking if just hooey. Yes, HOOEY. I said it.

Do what you want, regardless what the “experts” say. And maybe buy a bigger bed.

October 9, 2013 at 12:46 pm

BEST COMMENT EVER!!!!!!!

Oh my gosh. Seriously hilarious AND helpful!

I saw a beautiful crate at Home Sense today, and it was $129, so not terribly priced, but it was a tad small for Luther long-legs. Sigh… Maybe next time. The idea of using blankets we have used or slept with is PURE GENIUS!

Dude has two dog beds – one to keep him off the couch in the living room and one to keep him off the bed. Guess which one gets used? You guessed it. Neither.

I’m with ya on the sheets. These checkered ones are masking so well so far!

I’m glad to have one more supporter of pets on the bed. My biggest concern is for when we have kids, so we GOTTA get this dog off the bed!!!

Bigger bed. Check… when we have a bigger house haha!

Thanks for being hilarious and awesome. I love your guts!

October 10, 2013 at 7:57 pm
  • Reply suzannesthoughts

Ha! The other day, my husband and I went through hardcore cleaning our bedspread- a gorgeous quilt that my Mom made us for our wedding. I first month of marriage, I even banned eating on the bed because I love the quilt so much. That lasted a month.
    We have lint rolled the whole quilt numerous times, but I finally decided to try and vacuum it. I had my husband stand on it while I vacuumed it, so that the vacuum wouldn’t suck up the quilt itself. That actually really worked, but it is a two person job!

October 11, 2013 at 6:33 pm

HAHA I tried to ban eating in bed AND on the couch when we first got married. Can you believe that? So unrealistic!

I love that the two of you teamed up to vacuum the quilt. Great idea, too! I gotta get my hands on one of those felt lint rollers so I can stop buying the rolls of sticky sheets. So wasteful!

October 12, 2013 at 11:49 am
  • Reply Diane Lang (@MomoFali)

We have a 70 lb. Lab who sleeps with us every night (and on the couch all day). I wash blankets and sheets (A LOT) because the couch is white, so it’s covered with linens too. She’s such a snuggler though and I couldn’t imagine her laying on the floor by herself. She’d be so sad, and she makes us so happy.

October 15, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Ok, so I’m not the only one washing sheets and blankets like crazy! PHEW!!! Your pup sounds SUPER sweet and I totally don’t blame you for not wanting to give up those cuddles – they are the best!!!

October 15, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Wow! Look at all these comments! Clearly, this is a hot topic. I wish I had an answer for ya – – we don’t have a dog, though I did grow up with cats. I actually used to BEG them to sleep with me and sometimes they were enticed…but I know cats and dogs are like apples and oranges. I just love that you’re even begging this question; it shows what a thoughtful and loving person you are. Luther is blessed to have you and your hubs as his “parents.” I hope you feel at peace with whatever decision you make!

October 16, 2013 at 1:04 am

I was totally shocked at how many people responded to this. And I almost didn’t publish this post because I didn’t think anyone would even like it at all! I guess it’s just another thing blogging teaches you… you never know what will be the thing that helps you connect with people.

We’re working on a few things to maybe change his ways. I don’t mind having him there, I just worry about when we have a baby… I won’t want him up on the bed with an infant! Maybe I’ll have to write a follow-up post when I figure this all out!

Thanks for your kindness – as always! Luther makes US feel pretty blessed, too!

October 16, 2013 at 6:32 pm
  • Reply Kristen

We have a 65 lbs Vizsla (who doesn’t shed much) who is allowed on top of the duvet cover, and between the duvet and the top sheet. Let me explain. He spends most of the night near our feet on top of the douvet, but in the mornings when one of us gets out of bed he does the whole paw at the covers thing and asks to be let under. To curb dog hair from getting on the clean sheets where we are snuggled up, he is allowed to snuggle under the duvet on top of the sheets.
    The whole bed gets washed every weekend, and there is never dog hair where our bodies are touching the sheets. Kinda make sense? Yeah its a pain to wash everything every week (taking that duvet out of the cover and restuffing it, ugh!) but its a treat to have fresh linens every Sunday night, and we wouldnt give up his snuggles! We also recently switched from an expensive West Elm duvet cover to a less expensive Ikea one, which helps with the constant washing, and less worry about wrecking an expensive cover!

October 17, 2013 at 9:41 am

Brilliant. And totally makes sense. We have a comforter and now an additional blanket until we move to the duvet for the Winter, so Luther sometimes creeps under the blanket, but also not under the sheets so we have no dog hair we’re actually sleeping in/on. I completely agree that not only is it nice to have the fresh sheets and covers every week, but also, the snuggles are awesome :) I’m so happy I’m not the only one doing the whole duvet cover removal thing!!!

October 17, 2013 at 11:31 am
  • Reply Ricki @ The Questionable Homesteader

I have a lab/pit that thinks she is a lap dog. For the first year that I had her, she was not allowed on the couch (the number of times that I was walking up to the front door yelling get off the couch can not be counted, as I could see her watching me out of the window – which she could not look out of without being on the couch) or the bed. But then I got a cold, and wanted someone to cuddle me and she then became a couch dog. She will now stand at the edge of the couch and wait for me to invite her up. It took me another 6 months before I allowed her up on it. My comforter is also white, and the number of times I have found her curled up on the bed is numerous, but again, if I am getting ready to for bed she will wait beside the bed until I invite her up.
    To counter the black hair I too wash all bedding once a week, I also brush her after every walk to reduce all pet hair in the house, and purchased a black fuzzy blanket for on the bed, this blanket is the dog’s bed blanket.
    As for diseases that can be transferred to me from my dog, I spoke to my vet about this and I had her vaccinated against any that can effect me. Which to my knowledge is the best I can do, other than not letting the dog on the bed or couch.

November 16, 2013 at 11:49 pm

They have a way of getting right into our hearts (then our couches and beds), don’t they? I love the cuddles, so it’s hard to say no to him being on the bed. I have heard several people say they trained their pup to come up only when invited and I’m trying that now – it’s working!

Thanks so much for your input! It’s so great to know that other people are in the same boat as I am!

November 17, 2013 at 6:59 am
  • Reply Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

This is so cute. I love my dog, and he sleeps on the bed with us. He sleep at the bottom though, except during thunder storms, then he tries to sleep on my head. Our dog is Shadow, and that is what he is. When I travel, my kids say he gets really depressed and sits waiting for us to come home.

Great post. Thanks so much for sharing with Wednesday’s Adorned From Above Link party.
    Debi and Charly at Adorned From Above

November 17, 2013 at 11:27 pm
  • Reply Jane Palmer-Dodge

Hey….I was just Googling how other pet moms and dads keep their beds clean and this blog came up! I’m not even going to think what that says about me.

I want a pretty bed. That’s all I ask – but I love my dogs – a huge Boxer named Colby and a mixed Boxer/mutt named Maggie – and I love having them sleep with me. My solution for the past few years that works fairly well is this: I bought 5 flat full size sheets from Walmart and I put one on top of the comforter/duvet and change that sheet daily, usually at night before I go to bed. My bed stays clean and hair-free. Duvet stays looking like new – however, I can’t even see it because of the sheets protecting it. I’ve been shopping for prettier sheets – these are getting kind of thin! Years ago I had a hand held Shark vacuum cleaner that I kept beside the bed to use when I made the bed, that and those sticky lint brushes.

( OH and my dogs are the same way when I get home – they won’t leave the deck to pee, unless I come out with them – they are so happy when they see my car pull in the drive. No one is ever that happy to see me!! :) )

June 3, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Hi Jane!
      First of all, I love that you Googled how to keep beds clean of pets because it’s so reassuring to know other people have this dilemma!!!
      I love the solution you came up with! Good for you for keeping up with that. I have absolutely no patience or the will to go through that level of effort. Our pup (Luther) seems to be shedding a little less and we do wash blankets and duvet covers more often than before we had him, so that seems to work for us! I imagine with two dogs, though, you have twice the work! I’m also loving your vacuum and lint brush idea!!
      Isn’t it lovely to have them be that happy to see you when you get home? It’s one of my favourite things about having a dog :)

June 4, 2014 at 8:27 pm
      • Reply katymorrical

Is it weird that I am commenting in 2016? Nah. I also found this post by googling “how to keep beds clean of pets.” I too change my sheets once a week. I actually have two full sets of bedding so that I have a little more flexibility with when I wash. Do you have any new tips in 2016?

Side note, what really blew my mind about this post was the fact that Luther looks EXACTLY like my dog. I have never seen another dog who looks like Pippa so I thought it was so cool to see. I can’t add a picture to this comment but there are a ton on my instagram https://www.instagram.com/kate_morrical/ if you are interested. so crazy.

January 17, 2016 at 7:34 pm
  • Reply Diana

I finally broke down and bought a beautiful new comforter and the fur from my Sheltie and the cat on it is driving me crazy!! I read somewhere else to take a damp rag and run it in one direction across the comforter to pull the fur up. It seems to work, but you know, as soon as you de-fur, the pets are right back on the bed :-)

June 22, 2014 at 12:00 am

Diana! So sorry this took me SO long to reply to! I love the idea of a damp rag, but like you said – the moment the fur comes off, it’s right back on. It’s like they knowwww!!!!

July 2, 2014 at 4:32 pm
  • Reply Marissa

I have a flat coat retriever named Penny and we adopted her from the humane society when she was about to turn 3 years old. Almost a year later and its still the same routine from the day we got her. When we first got her, she actually fell asleep by the pillows and zonked out quickly. Me and my boyfriend honestly thought she died from too much excitement that day because she was not moving one bit. We shook her and everything. She finally lifted her head as to say “what do you guys want? I’m trying to sleep!” so my boyfriend picked her up and just placed her at the foot of the bed where a spot was made for her previously.
    We have a blanket at the foot of the bed for our Penny puppy. Every night she goes to her spot BUT every morning, I am woken up by her either licking my face or my kitten walking all over my face and chest. Either way, I get fur all over my comforter. I wash it weekly also. It’s gotten to the point where I just don’t care anymore because I love waking up to my pets!

April 19, 2016 at 9:42 am

That is so sweet!! Pets really are just the best!

May 9, 2016 at 6:54 am
  • Reply Allison

I’m switching to satin sheets and praying that it works and the hair won’t stick to it so much! We have three cats and two dogs that are always on our bed!

June 12, 2016 at 9:27 pm

What a great idea!! How did it work out?

June 27, 2016 at 6:53 pm
  • Reply O'Neal

Hi, I just read through all the comments about dog hair on bedding. I, too, have this dilemma. Two things I wanted to throw out for consideration: Regularly brushing the dog will help reduce loose hairs on the bed. And, because I fear my dog injuring himself, I won’t let him jump off the bed. I lower him to the floor myself.

July 23, 2016 at 12:45 am

Yes, brushing makes SUCH a difference! Thanks for adding that in!!

July 28, 2016 at 8:05 pm
  • Reply Rebecca Smuk

Four dogs and a cat in this house! Talk about hair! Lol. I wash my comforter twice a week and vacuum pretty much endlessly. Some times I just throw it in the dryer on no heat just to pull the hair off. I also take them outside one a week and everyone gets brushed. Hope that helps!

August 19, 2016 at 5:23 pm

So smart about putting it in the dryer to pull off some hair!! Thank you!

September 8, 2016 at 2:50 pm
  • Reply Marian

Two cats in our house–one a short hair black guy and the other a medium-sized (for the breed) Maine Coon at 15 lbs. As cats often do, they “time share” their spots on the bed–there are 2 –one on a pillow beside me (prime real estate that the Maine Coon gets first) and the other at my partner’s feet. A good fabric softener helps (Meyers) and a weekly wash, although I am now searching for a satin coverlet. But given a choice between a pet-hair free bed and no purr machine in my life (especially the pseudo-dog, the Maine Coon) I’ll deal with the cat hair.

October 9, 2016 at 6:53 pm