DIY paint-dipped bamboo utensils - the learner observer

DIY Paint-Dipped Utensils

Are you reading this post title and thinking “Silly Thalita, this isn’t a Christmas-related post!”

No.  It’s not… well, not completely.

DIY paint-dipped bamboo utensilsI wanted a little break from all the red and green and gold that has been cheerfully been making its way into my blog reader feed for about a month now, and I thought that maybe you’d like a break too!

Now… this may not include all of the Christmas-y colours, but there is Christmas potential in this project.  I dare say paint-dipped utensils would make a pretty awesome last minute, easy, DIY, inexpensive and useful gift.  I also happen to think it would be a great add-on to a gift you may already have planned for someone.

So let’s get to it, shall we?

Paint-dipped bamboo utensils - part 1For starters, head on over to the Dollar Store and pick up some wooden or bamboo utensils.  I got these bad boys for $1.25 each and there are about 3-4 different styles to choose from.  I went with two spoons and one slotted spoon because they are the ones I use the most.  Next, mark where you’d like the paint to stop with masking tape.  I made all of mine different because I’m a rebel like that!  Truth: I started out with all being identical and later changed my mind.

I also picked up a pack of acrylic paints for $2, which came with about 12 colours and I already had a few Martha Stewart bottles at home I could also dip into.  HAHA.  Punny.

Paint-dipped bamboo utensils - part 2The actual painting is SUPER quick.  Did I mention this project takes very little time?  The only thing you have to take time with is letting the paint dry, and as much fun as it was to stare at my artfully made bamboo spoon clipped to a lamp, I did chores while the paint dried.  Trust me, no one was more surprised than me when the bathroom got cleaned while the first coat dried and then the bedroom sheets were changed and put in the wash for the second….

All I needed were two coats.  The Martha Stewart paint was FANTASTIC and had great coverage while the Dollar Store stuff needed a little more help.  I know… you’re not shocked.  What can I say, M-Stew knows what’s up.  Oh, that’s what I call Martha.  She’s cool with it.

Paint-dipped bamboo utensils - part 3If you want to be able to wash these bad boys (NOT IN THE DISHWASHER), you’ll need to protect the paint.  A coat or two of clear spray-on shellac like this one does the trick and you can hand-wash these bad boys as much as needed.

Paint-dipped bamboo utensils - part 4Lastly, just remember that perfection is not my  middle name (though perfectionist IS) and I like to keep it real.  These are not perfect (well, one of them is, but I think that was sheer luck).  I like them just the way they are, which is surprising for the perfectionist in me, but the realist says “Who cares?”

DIY paint-dipped bamboo utensils - the learner observerAnyway, there you have it.  I completed these three in one sitting (plus a few chores!) and I have to say, I will be making more because I love the way they look!  I hope the paint-dipped trend doesn’t go anywhere… I kind of want to “dip” everything I own in paint!

Oh, and if you want to pin this, here’s a nice little collage to appease you!

DIY PAINT DIPPED BAMBOO UTENSILS BY THE LEARNER OBSERVERHave you dipped anything in paint lately?

Oh, and I’ll be back with some Christmas colours this week… so enjoy this little break!

xo

• Reply Midsommarflicka

Oh! Oooooh! Now I finally don’t have to think any longer about the last two little gifts, that I needed! Yay! \o/
    Thanks :)

Love, Midsommarflicka

December 17, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Haha amazing!!!!!! Honestly my friends and family can fully expect these as gifts. I love them!

December 17, 2013 at 7:38 pm
  • Reply Vanessa

super cute, lady! i did this a couple of summers ago (http://bit.ly/1hZXnss) but could never find a food-safe shellac, so i didn’t end up using them! you’re inspiring me to dig them out of a box somewhere and try again :)

December 17, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Those look amazing!!!! I only shellacked the painted parts. That way the bottom is still completely food safe! That’s why I didn’t go too low with the paint, so go dog those bad boys out!!!

December 17, 2013 at 7:37 pm
  • Reply Johanna

I can TOTALLY understand the Christmas-hangover that is happening here in Blogland – me too, girl, me too! I mean, YES, Christmas is wonderful, but let’s all calm down a little, eh? I’m going non-holiday-related on Friday, too!
    Also, I LOVE this idea – I’ve been looking for some serving spoons but haven’t found any I like, so maybe I’ll just need to DIY some like you did. Thanks for the inspiration, friend!

December 18, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Seriously… I have my own Christmas posts which I have been avoiding because I don’t like to think of adding to the massive amounts of twinkly lights and Christmas trees out there.

Not gonna lie, these kinda changed my life, a little bit. Honestly, I want to cook with them so much more than with the other non-dipped utensils, and to think these are dollar store things makes me happy! Also, that they can travel so well from stovetop to tabletop for serving is such a great bonus!

December 18, 2013 at 2:28 pm
  • Reply Steph

Super cute!

December 18, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Thanks, lady! Nothing wrong with prettifying (that’s a REAL word) some kitchen utensils, am I right?

December 18, 2013 at 2:29 pm

These are fantabulous! I love the paint-dipped look in general…I also love excuses to make dollar store runs…and since we need some last minute gifts for Mark’s co-workers, guess what I’ll be doing tomorrow?! Fab tutorial, friend. (The text and arrows on your photos were my favorite part!)

December 18, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Ohhhh thank you!!!! I am obsessed with paint-dipped anything. Luther better watch out or he’s next! I’m thinking these “dipped” goodies will be making appearances at many a bridal shower this Summer, too!

And hey, thanks for noticing the arrows and stuff… I did pick them out JUST for this tutorial!

December 19, 2013 at 10:48 am
  • Reply thescentoforanges

Alright. I don’t usually find things on link parties that I legitimately like these days. I am not a big dessert consumer and I am not crafty enough for all these DIY Christmas decorations…. but this… this I can do. Thank you for sharing this… I really want to do it now:-)

December 19, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I hear ya on not being crafty enough for all the Christmas decor out there!! I’m with you! So glad you liked this one though. I have to say, this is one of the easiest and best DIYs I’ve had to date! Housewarming and bridal showers gifts? I think so!! :)

December 20, 2013 at 9:46 am
  • Reply 7 Brilliant DIY Tutorials « Create Link Inspire Features « Marvelous Mommy

[…] DIY Paint-Dipped Utensils – This would make an awesome inexpensive, last minute gift. […]

December 21, 2013 at 12:02 pm
  • Reply Marvelous Mommy

These turned out so adorable! Such a great tutorial and pin-worthy photos! You were featured today at the Create Link Inspire party! http://www.marvelousmommy.com/2013/12/7-brilliant-diy-tutorials/

December 21, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Thanks so much!!! That’s fantastic news :)

December 23, 2013 at 3:26 pm
  • Reply Michelle

These are so pretty! I like the colors you picked out.

December 22, 2013 at 10:00 am

Thanks, Michelle! It was tough to pick (I was tempted to go for black and white)!

December 23, 2013 at 3:27 pm
  • Reply Fabulous Feature Friday

[…] The Learner Observer shared a tutorial to make your own paint dipped utensils. I think I am going to make a bunch to have around for when little gift occasions pop up. […]

December 27, 2013 at 7:12 am
  • Reply Melissa Viscount

Hi there! I love your paint dipped spoons! Thanks so much for linking up to the Link It or Lump it party. I’ve picked your great little dollar store idea as one of my features this week. Come on over and grab a button and don’t forget to link up again this week! – Melissa @ Two It Yourself

December 29, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Thanks SO much Melissa!!!!

December 30, 2013 at 11:51 am
  • Reply Emily @ Two Purple Couches

LOVE these! I love that they’re simple & so fancy-looking when they’re dry! Oh, and the teal-y colors you chose are beee-u-ti-ful.

December 29, 2013 at 10:49 pm

haha Thanks Emily! I do love the colours, as well, though they don’t necessarily match our kitchen haha

December 30, 2013 at 11:52 am
      • Reply Emily @ Two Purple Couches

Matching, schmatching! That would probably be the only incentive I’d need to overhaul my kitchen color scheme :-P

December 30, 2013 at 8:34 pm
  • Reply Meegan

Love love love this!! Thanks for linking up to Tickled Pink Times Two. I am excited to be featuring this tomorrow night at our new party :)
    Happy New Year!

January 2, 2014 at 2:04 am

Thank you SO much, Meegan! Happy New Year!

January 2, 2014 at 11:52 am
  • Reply Clean & Dirty Dishwasher Magnet: Silhouette Tutorial & Printable — the thinking closet

[…] The extras I plan on tucking into shower, housewarming, and hostess gifts.  Wouldn’t it be perfect to gift along with a tea towel and wooden spoon? […]

May 27, 2014 at 7:01 am