high or low button

High/Low: Light and Girly Living Room

High/Low is back!  The reason it’s taken me so long to repeat this is that I was a bit stuck on the bedroom theme, but I didn’t want to repeat the same room yet – not until I tackle a living room, kitchen and bathroom.  This time, rather than being inspired by things I saw at a store, I got inspired by a pin.  Shocking, right?  Here it is.

So I thought it’d be cool to see how I could recreate a room, both with high-priced items and low.  Care to guess which is expensive and which is a little easier on the wallet?

high living room

low living room

Are the choices obvious?  I think at first glance, it’s clear which has the lower cost items, but I have to say that overall, you can get the light, airy and girly feel with either set of items.  You may notice the print is exactly the same.  I recognized it from SS Print Shop (I just ordered a print from Stephanie’s shop for a friend’s birthday), so I knew where to find it.  Total fluke!  I had barely noticed it in the original pin!

Ready to see the results, and if you guessed right?

high low landscape

Was the black glass table a dead giveaway?  I figured it can easily be painted, as we’ve seen Centsational Girl do with the VITTSJO bookshelf HERE.  So for an extra $5, you could have the same look, and when you see the price differences, you’ll undoubtedly see my point.  So without killing any more time, the cost breakdown.

high living room cost breakdown1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12

So in reality, not a completely unrealistic price for some pretty major pieces in a living room – between couch, tables and rug, one could already spend well over this near $4,000 price point.  Not me, of course… I struggle with the $98 price tag on a pillow!  A pillow!  Remember when I made a $15 pillow case?  Yeah, that’s more my style.  So let’s see the lower cost breakdown.

low living room cost breakdown1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12

A few IKEA items – no surprise when it comes to looking for low-cost items, but you’ll notice Wayfair, West Elm, CB2, Pottery Barn and Anthropologie are in both High and Low rooms, so you can shop at places that have typically higher priced items without breaking the bank.  Great news for us bargain hunters with expensive taste, right?

So how did you do?  Guess right?  And how did I do with the $2,386 difference?

high or low buttonHappy shopping, friends!

Linking up here and at Remodelaholic this week.

This post was featured!

July 5, 2013

July 5, 2013

• Reply C.R.A.F.T.

What a fun game! I need that rhino head from Anthro! Thanks for linking up to Monday Funday!

June 25, 2013 at 10:56 am

You and me both!!! Thanks for stopping by and for being such a gracious hostess!! :)

June 25, 2013 at 6:31 pm
  • Reply Julia

So fun! Great finds to create each look! You are a great writer too! Keep it up!

It’s Always Ruetten

June 27, 2013 at 1:00 pm

thank you SO much!!! What a wonderful comment to read today. I’ll have to come back to it when I need a little extra encouragement :) I am LOVING your blog, and your about page! I really like the story of your last name!

June 27, 2013 at 1:45 pm
  • Reply Shauna K

visiting from Happy Hour! this is so fun- totally enjoy this show on HGTV and it’s fun to see this idea on a blog :D and seriously, gotta love Ikea, right?! ;)

June 28, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Thank you Shauna! I have never seen the HGTV version (I’m one of those crazy people with no cable!), but the fact that you ever referenced something on HGTV is kind of awesome!!! And oh, IKEA is my #2 weakness – second only to Oreo ice cream!

June 28, 2013 at 10:44 pm
  • Reply TheBargainBabe

Saw you at Cheerios and Lattes link up.

Oh the high/low game. I am so horrible at this! ha!

June 29, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Thanks for stopping by! I am also bad at it… but I think it’s a good thing if you can manage to find things at a low price that look like they’re super expensive, right? :)

June 29, 2013 at 10:09 pm
  • Reply Sherry Hart

What a great post! I love the room and you did a great job putting together the high and the low!

July 5, 2013 at 9:17 am

Oh thank you Sherry! I have SO much fun doing these! P.S. Just went to check out your blog… ummm WOW!! BEAUTIFUL!

July 5, 2013 at 9:39 am
  • Reply Blow out the candle: The Learner Observer is 1!

[…] You have seen links to Stephanie’s work at least once or twice in past posts, like this one which appeared in the last High/Low: […]

August 17, 2013 at 1:11 pm