I’m dreaming of a… new deck!

This post brought to you by Royal Building Products. All opinions are 100% mine.

Summer is in full swing, and what’s better than sitting on your deck with a cold beverage while your husband barbecues?  Not much, I tell you…  Here is where I run into a problem… my deck is not exactly the ideal lounging surface these days because it looks like this:

Nice huh?  It doesn’t help that it has been rainy and gloomy lately… As you can see though, this deck needs a lot of help, and therefore I have been doing a lot of daydreaming.  Wanna see?

[source]

Hey, I did say I have been daydreaming, ok?  And a girl can dream!  In terms of material, I would LOOOOOVE to see the wood gone and replaced with PVC decking materials.  If you’ve never heard of this before, I can tell you it’s a durable material that does not require painting or staining and which will not split or crack like natural wood or composite decking.  If you’re interested in finding out more about this product, head over to the Royal Building Products website.

On top of that little daydream, I’d also like to keep all the wonderful seating I have now on the deck because, yes, I do like a few things about our deck!  I’d love to see it become slightly more sophisticated, like this:

[source]

Not too unrealistic, right?  I’m not entirely sure what is going to happen with our somewhat sad looking deck just yet, but if I had it my way there would be some definite change in decking materials, colours (I especially like the Pebblestone Grey), and some design changes.  I’ll keep you posted on what the final outcome is, of course.  In the meantime, any ideas you’d like to share with me?

Daydream with me!

Visit Sponsor's Site

• Reply Steph

Love your ideas! Have you ever watched the show Decked Out? Great deck inspiration on that show. I hope you’re able to make some progress soon with your plans :)

July 1, 2013 at 12:05 am

Thanks Steph! I love that show!! I’m just hoping to be able to sand and fix it up before making any really big plans, so fingers crossed that happens this summer!! :)

July 1, 2013 at 10:35 am
  • Reply Rachel

Those look amazing, I’m a little jealous! I can’t wait to have a house with a proper deck or patio someday, instead of just the 8ft x 8ft slab of concrete that our condo complex pretends is a patio. ;)

July 1, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Well this is the dream, right? Our deck is a long ways away from that! Don’t worry though… You will have a beautiful deck or patio of your own and you can show us all how to decorate it beautifully :)

July 1, 2013 at 7:07 pm
  • Reply Gail

I’ll be anxious to see what you do with it. Your deck has nice lines to it. I love the examples you shared.

July 2, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Thank you Gail! I’m excited to see where it goes, even if it’s not down the super expensive materials line right now. Lovely of you to stop by!!

July 3, 2013 at 7:01 am
  • Reply ~ joey ~

I dream of a new deck too as mine has a painted deckcoat surface that makes puddles in the winter due to the fact that it’s sinking and holding water. But it belongs to someone else so I really don’t have much say in the matter until we buy our own deck! ha ha! I actually really like your deck, I prefer wood as it’s more natural and that PVC stuff sounds all very good but it cannot be recycled, repainted (as it fades over time) or repaired like wood can.
    ~ joey ~

July 4, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Wow Joey, you have managed to make me feel pretty good about my slightly old and weathered deck! I had no idea PVC could not be recycled (honestly, I hadn’t looked that far into it), but I think that’s a really good point! Thank you for sharing that!!

July 4, 2013 at 1:58 pm