friendship bracelets for your lightning cable

Lightning Cable Friendship Bracelet

Is the title of this post misleading?  Maybe to some… I am not teaching you how to make friendship bracelets out of cables of lightning.  For those of you unaware (my husband included, and he owns one), the new charging cables for iPhones and iPads is called a lightning cable, but this tutorial can work for any charging cable.

friendship bracelets for your lightning cableI was first intrigued by this project a few weeks ago and I posted about it here on one of the Weekend Winners posts, and the original post can be found here at Brit & Co, where the tutorial is WAY better!  Here is my version:

steps 1-4I bought the embroidery floss at Fabricland for $1.25 and it was already in the ombre pattern – win!  The braided bit at the end makes it very easy to finish off the project and it’s super handy for bundling up the cord and tying it up.  I also don’t miss having the cable tangled all the time, nor do I miss the bite marks (courtesy of Luther) on the ends!

ombre covers for cordsAnd that’s that!  As much as I want to wrap up my laptop’s cable also, I am afraid of the potential tendonitis that will come with it!  This can be a grueling job on your fingers and hands… Has anyone else tried it?

signature 1Linking up here.

CLFeaturedButton1

May 4, 2013

Ha ha! I admit, when I clicked over from bloglovin’, I thought that perhaps “lightning cable” was something you could find at Home Depot and go all craftsy on, turning it into friendship bracelets. Ha ha. But this is even better! I love the ombre thread. How cool is that? If this will help keep my cords from getting tangled, I’m all over it!

April 17, 2013 at 12:43 am

Haha sorry to mislead you, Lauren!!! It definitely works for keeping the cable untangled – like a charm!!!

April 17, 2013 at 6:36 am
  • Reply emily

very fun! Would be good for me… color code all our cords this way :o) Thanks for taking the time to link up to Tasteful Tuesdays @Nap-TimeCreations.com. I do feature round ups on Saturdays and Tuesdays now, so make sure you are following the blog in some way so you know if YOU are featured…GFC, facebook or bloglovin are my recommendations :o)

April 26, 2013 at 7:32 am

Thanks Emily!!! I am a follower of your awesome work :) It’s amazing that you take time to comment on so many blog posts!!

April 27, 2013 at 8:42 am
  • Reply Weekend Winners ~ 6

[…] I love this: it’s adorable, I just bought way too much embroidery thread 2 weeks ago for wrapping my cables and don’t know what to do with it, I have about 4 embroidery hoops left over from the wreath I […]

April 27, 2013 at 10:31 am
  • Reply Saturday Show & Tell #61

[…] Covering Your Laptop Cords by Thalita @ The Learner […]

May 4, 2013 at 12:31 am
  • Reply cheeriosandlattes1

This is SUCH a cute idea! My only problem is I don’t have the time to do it; maybe you can come help me! ;) I do love this fun way to decorate though! :) We can’t wait to see what you’ve been up to this week on Saturday Show & Tell! Have a great weekend!
    Mackenzie :)

May 4, 2013 at 10:21 am

Thank you so much Mackenzie! I didn’t think I’d have much time either, but over the course of 3-4 evenings I completed it while watching TV – even if it was just a half-hour show, it helped put a dent int his little, but time consuming project! Thanks for stopping by to comment!

May 4, 2013 at 3:37 pm
  • Reply Cathy Compeau

Super cute idea!

I would love for you to share this and link up to my TGIF Link Party! Who knows, you just might be featured next week!

Hugs, Cathy

May 5, 2013 at 11:03 pm

I definitely will, Cathy!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

May 7, 2013 at 7:54 pm
  • Reply nikki

Would this also work good on headphones?

June 27, 2013 at 1:09 am

Hi Nikki,
      Yes, it definitely would – that’s a great idea!!

June 27, 2013 at 6:07 am
  • Reply Blow out the candle: The Learner Observer is 1!

[…] was sloooooow.  I wrapped my iPhone’s charging cable.  Yawn.  June had a bit more action with the Rub ‘n Buff-ed thrift shop finds, I dyed a […]

August 17, 2013 at 12:28 pm