Advertisements

With about 12 hours to spare before this post had to go live for the One Room Challenge Link-Up, the laundry room makeover is finished. We may or may not still need to actually complete the plumbing for the faucet (keeping it real), but it’s 99% complete. Plumbing only counts for 1% at this point because it’ll be about a 30-minute job for my increasingly handy husband to complete. He’s awesome like that.

If you want to see all of the nitty gritty from the very beginning, you can check out weeks 1-5:

WEEK 1 | WEEK 2 | WEEK 3 | WEEK 4 | WEEK 5

Now let’s take a stroll down memory lane for a moment and see what this room used to look like…

Advertisements

I actually can’t believe that this was our laundry room just 5 weeks ago! That seems like forever ago now, and it’s hard to imagine the room with so much wasted space and machines that had doors that opened into one another, not away from one another – making laundry an even MORE daunting task!

First, I’ll show you the view from the hallway (aka my office) into the room 3 weeks ago, 2 weeks ago, and now:

Insert my smiling face right here, because this view can plaster a giant smile on my face almost as quickly as a giant slice of cheesecake.

Almost.

Advertisements

The sliding doors are part of a project I’ll be sharing much more about with you, breaking down costs and materials. Let me just entice you with the knowledge that this cost less than one-third of what most barn-door hardware would have, and I dare say it looks pretty darn great!

Here you can see several of our DIY projects, like:

• moving and painting the original cabinetry
  • adding shelving in between the cabinets to make them look more built-in
  • countertop above machines made with 2×6’s
  • laundry basket storage

On the cabinets I used Lichen by Fusion Mineral Paint and added these handles from The Home Depot. (I’ll have a list of all materials and colours at the bottom of the post.)

The countertop is help up by 1×2’s along the wall, which we screwed into studs. The 2×6’s are just sitting loosely on top since it’s a countertop we’re just using for occasional laundry folding, and this makes it super easy for us to get behind the machines if ever necessary.

The laundry basket storage was made with 1×2’s along the wall and some simple brackets next to the washing machine. We just used some old plywood we found in the garage and stained it the same colour as the countertop – Provincial by Minwax.

Our biggest DIY project had to be the sink base. This is another project I’ll be breaking down into a separate post because there is too much to explain here. Spoiler? The whole cabinet, doors, countertop and hardware cost under $200.

Now that I’ve shown you the big things, let’s look at the accessories!

The flowers and the faux fiddle leaf fig (Fiona 2.0 since I killed the real thing) are all from Afloral and they are STUNNING. I cannot rave about them enough! Seriously. The faux lemons are also from there, and so is that adorable vase!

The letterboard is one of my favourite things, Like ever! I love that I can move it around (it’s been in the kitchen until now, waiting for its home in here) and that I can always change what’s on it easily. It’s a great way to leave your significant other some messages to see how often they’re actually IN the laundry room. HA! Just kidding…

The laundry baskets and that amazing clock are all from Giant Tiger. I wish I had purchased another clock because I really do love it, and I think it would be so great in the playroom, or the kitchen, or basically anywhere. I find that I need clocks everywhere now – not just because I like how they look, but because I’m always looking to find out when nap time is coming up, know what I mean?

I have to say, I love how lush the flowers look and how unexpected a floral arrangement of this size is for a laundry room. I’m officially a believer in having a clean and beautiful laundry room to make you want to spend more time in there. I may even shut the door and hide from the kids in here!

The baskets on the shelves in between the cabinets are from Canadian Tire, from their CANVAS collection, which is honest to goodness gorgeous. Like, all of it!

And as you may already know because I have talked about it incessantly on social media, the amazing Lovely Lemons wallpaper is from Walls Need Love. I am in love with it. So much so that I had to add a bit of it above the sink, so it can be seen from all angles!

This brings me to the sink and faucet, both of which are from Blanco. You guys, I have NEVER seen a more beautiful sink in all my life! I am in love with the IKON 30″ sink in white Silgranit. Because the sink is the first thing visible from the hallway and kitchen, I wanted the space to always look great, and this sink delivers. The Culina Mini faucet is just the icing on the cake with those clean lines.

The braided jute rug is from Rugs USA and is so much softer than I expected! It makes the floors warm enough to walk on without socks, since the tiles make it always a bit chilly in there.

The cute little ring dish is from OhVello, and I chose to use it in this space because it’s always nice to have a spot to put my wedding ring if I know I’ll be washing or soaking something as it slips off my finger. Having a safe space for these things is key to making sure they never get lost!

Now for a less pretty corner of the room, but one I’m super excited about because it means our vacuum finally has a home…

We hung up the Dyson along with the mop (bucket under the sink), a duster and a basket for little things like vacuum parts. We also prettied up Luther’s corner a bit by painting his bowl holder the same colour as the cabinets.

I know, so not an exciting part of the room, but there has to be function in every corner of this small space!

Now that I have written the looooooongest post ever, I’ll stop. But before I go, I’ll leave you with this:

Source List

Last, but certainly not least, this makeover really and truly could not have happened without the help of all of these wonderful sponsors, and I am so very grateful to them all!

The Home Depot Canada | Blanco Canada | Rugs USA | Wayfair.ca | Letter Board Co. | Giant Tiger| Afloral | Walls Need Love | Fusion Mineral Paint

Thank you guys so much for all of the support you’ve shown over the last 5 weeks! It’s been another stressful challenge, but so worth it in the end – like always!

Advertisements

Vanessa Bruce

May 10, 2017

Thalita, it looks SO GOOD! You’ve got me thinking about adding wallpaper to our little laundry closet now. Well done, guys!!

May 12, 2017

Thanks, Vanessa!!! I say go for it – especially removable wallpaper like this!

Cassie Bustamante

May 10, 2017

it looks amazing, thalita! i love the paper and colors so much, and can we talk about your fantastic letter board! ha!

May 12, 2017

Girl, I get that darn song in my head every time I walk into this room now! haha And thank you for the love!!

Emy

May 10, 2017

This is my dream laundry room! So pretty! Pinning!

May 12, 2017

Thank you, Emy! You are so sweet!

jmaier45

May 10, 2017

Absolutely stunning! What a delightful place to the mundane, well done.

May 12, 2017

Thank you!!! I love the way you put that!

Laurie @ VinYet Etc.

May 10, 2017

I love everything! That sink is so dreamy and the cabinet less than 200.00 crazy!!! Can’t wait for that break down because I need to build one and the custom one I need is over 500.00, soooooo ya when you aren’t busy with twins and laundry get on that would ya? ;) Seriously though, outta the park guys, so much work but so worth it!

May 12, 2017

haha working on it, my friend!!! Thank you so much. We’re so happy this is done and we have a functional space!

Tash @ thedreamhouseproject

May 10, 2017

WOW! Seriously you guys did an amazing job. What a beautifully warm & inviting space to do laundry in!! I love how all the colours came together & play off each other. And that sink is AMAZING!! Way to knock this one out of the park!

May 12, 2017

Thanks so much, Tash!! We are ridiculously happy with it! So much so I just kinda wanna kids from the kids in there and not do any actual laundry.

Kristen

May 10, 2017

This is absolutely beautiful! I love the reconfiguration, the colors, that wallpaper(OMG!). Everything is just beautiful!

May 12, 2017

Thank you, Kristen!!!! It feels like a dream to have this much functionality and a bit of colour in this room!

Susie

May 10, 2017

Love the colors and that wallpaper!! Swoon! This is one of the most amazing before and after rooms. Congrats on a great makeover! Susie from The Chelsea Project

May 12, 2017

Thank you so much, Susie!!!

Sabrina (@pinklilnotebook)

May 10, 2017

This laundry room is so refreshing!! Everything from the lemons to the colour palette to layout is just perfect! You guys did such an amazing job!!

May 12, 2017

Thanks so much, Sabrina!!! It felt like we might lose our minds for a little while! haha

Jillian

May 10, 2017

Now that is some fun wallpaper! I adore the cabinet colors and all the fun details. Now doing laundry is fun in that space!

May 12, 2017

That’s what I’m hoping for – fingers crossed! And thank you!

Annet M

May 10, 2017

Love this!!! Didn’t understand what you meant about “2×6 just sitting on top” though – I don’t seen any 2×6?

May 12, 2017

Thank you, Annet! The 2×6 pieces are sitting on top of the washer & dryer. They’re just held up by a frame of 1×2’s on the walls and butted up against one another. I totally didn’t explain that correctly in my post!

arielgarneau

May 10, 2017

Now THIS is a laundry room after my heart ❤️ the wall colour, wallpaper, flowers and styling are totally up my alley. Way to go girl!

May 12, 2017

I’ve been telling you from day 1 I was channeling some Ariel for this room, and I am so glad it worked!!!! I guess we really just have you to thank for this whole room ;)

dannyellenicolle

May 10, 2017

It looks so great! I love it, I’m jealous. The colour scheme is awesome, I love the peachy pink and the cabinet colour too. And the wallpaper is awesome. Great job.

May 12, 2017

Thank you, Dannyelle!! My dose of pink in a house of boys!

Lindi Vanderschaaf

May 10, 2017

This is SO beautiful! You wouldn’t even know it was the same space! I love how you played with colours and patterns in here. I’m swooning! #laundryroomgoals

May 12, 2017

Thanks so much, Lindi!! It’s crazy how much joy a functional laundry room can bring!

Tim@DesignMaze

May 11, 2017

oh what a fun space for laundry! that wallpaper is so charming and that sink + faucet combo is simply bang on! Love the sliding doors detail too … making a laundry room feeling grand and a lot more important! Bravo and congrats on week 6 of ORC!

May 12, 2017

Thank you so much, Tim! So kind of you!!!! I do love the feeling of sliding the doors open to walk into my grand palace…. I mean…. laundry room! #queenoflaundry

Andrea

May 11, 2017

Looks soo good! Yeah to getting the faucet in! Seriously, it looks like it was always meant to look like this. High five!

May 12, 2017

Thank you, Andrea!!! We are in love with the sink and faucet combo! And I have to agree that this layout was just meant to be for this room. It’s so much more functional now – thank goodness!

happilyorganizedchaos

May 11, 2017

Beautiful space. I wish my laundry room was this peaceful and pretty!! Great job :)

May 12, 2017

Thank you so much! An organized laundry room certainly feels like a luxury after the basement dungeons we’ve had!

Jordana @WhiteCabana

May 11, 2017

Pretty! What a happy, fresh room you have! Now – if only you could get those sweet toddler boys to do some of their own laundry!

May 12, 2017

haha I so look forward to the day that’s a reality!!

ashley@biggerthanthethreeofus

May 11, 2017

Gosh! IT looks so good!! I love the modern barn doors, the new layout and the pretty color scheme!

May 12, 2017

Thank you, Ashley!!! We are so thrilled to have a laundry room with actual functionality!!

Lizzie | Emmerson & Fifteenth

May 11, 2017

Oo I love it! The wallpaper is gorgeous, and kinda perfect for a laundry room – I think I might even feel happy about folding laundry in a room like that! I also love the towel rail, and I’m super jealous of that little corner with the vacuum etc. hung up – I wish I had a spot like that for ours!

May 12, 2017

Thanks, Lizzie!!! I’m hoping it evokes joy when I tackle the mountain of laundry waiting for me daily (or so it feels that way!). And having a corner for the cleaning stuff makes such a difference already! After having that vacuum for so long and no proper place to put it, it’s so nice to have easy access to it – especially since it’s something we pretty much use daily!

jessica

May 11, 2017

I really, really, really like this space. The lemon wallpaper, the olive and pink combo, and the washer/dryer location. This room turned out amazing. This is one of my favorite reveals so far! Love it!

May 12, 2017

Thanks so much, Jessica!!! I usually shy away from mixing colours, but this room needed some, otherwise the actual laundry becomes the star of the show and we just can’t let that happen!!

Bre

May 11, 2017

I wouldn’t be able to help myself from smiling every time I walked into this room! Turned out so good!

May 12, 2017

That pretty much sums up how I feel about it. My one pink room in a house full of boys!!

Julie

May 11, 2017

What a beautiful space, T! You thought of everything and your handwork totally paid off! Love how much fun the space it!

Thanks so much, Julie!!! Now I don’t want to mess it up with laundry! haha

gemma@thesweetestdigs

May 11, 2017

Such a cheery space! I love it.

And I’m obsessed with that wallpaper :)

Thanks, Gemma!!

sarahsofiaproductions

May 11, 2017

Thalita, I absolutely love every detail of this cherry and functional laundry room! That wall paper is stunning and I love the doors! Need to figure out a solution for our laundry closet and this might be it, thanks for the inspiration! I am just amazed at everything you’ve done! Bravo my friend on another ORC on the books! XOXO, Sarah

May 12, 2017

Sarah, you are just so sweet!!! I cannot believe how much I love these sliding doors. A swinging door would have been such a nuisance in this space, so we’re very happy to just be able to slide and not lose any valuable hallway space (aka my office!).

Kristi

May 11, 2017

It’s absolutely perfect Thalita!!! I’m so happy you went with that gorgeous lemon wallpaper, it works so perfectly with all of the other beautiful elements! LOVE it!

May 12, 2017

Thank you, Kristi!!! I am SO happy with the wallpaper! And the kids love it, too! haha

Jessica Vanderveen

May 11, 2017

I love the doors and the wallpaper. It’s such a happy place to do laundry!

May 12, 2017

Thanks so much, Jessica! It really does make me happy!

Andi

May 11, 2017

Turned out so great!! I love all of the colors and lemons in the room. I will have to keep your sink source in mind for whenever we get around to our kitchen. And I definitely have the song on your sign in my head :)

May 12, 2017

I get that song in my head every time I walk int this room now hahaha I might just have to change the letterboard soon or I’ll be forever singing Kenny Rogers lyrics! Oh and the sink is beyond amazing. Huge, and totally scratch and heat resistant. Perfect for a kitchen (we have the same material in the kitchen, too!).

Jessica | Petal + Ply

May 11, 2017

I am totally smitten with your space! The colors, the wallpaper, the florals, the sliding doors!!! So so pretty!

May 12, 2017

Thanks so much, Jessica!!

Maureen

May 11, 2017

Stunning! Changing the layout makes the room look so much bigger. Absolutely love the wallpaper. I am partial to the sink, as I just installed the same one in black in our kitchen for the ORC! I will definitely be “borrowing” a few ideas when I finally get around to tackling our own laundry room :)

May 12, 2017

Thanks, Maureen! This sink is honestly EVERYTHING! I love how large and deep it is! Now off to check out your kitchen!

Shannon Acheson - AKA Design

May 11, 2017

Your laundry room looks so much more cheerful than before! Awesome!

Christina Dennis

May 12, 2017

Wow; it’s so happy and beautiful!! Love those doors, love the wallpaper, love the sink… The whole mix of pretty and practical is amazing!

May 12, 2017

Thanks, Christina! I think a laundry room needs a bit of happy in it! haha

craftivitydesigns

May 12, 2017

BEAUTIFUL! I need that cabinet color in my home.

May 12, 2017

Thanks so much!! I never thought I would like green THIS much!

Madness and Method

May 12, 2017

What a happy space! I really like the laundry basket shelves :)

Joann @ Woman In Real Life

May 13, 2017

Everything is so lovely and well thought out. I’m happy for you because I can imagine this just makes it so much nicer to do laundry! (For a while anyway.) I need to work on my laundry room as well and this is really inspiring. Love the wallpaper and the flowers and the sink and faucet…everything really!

Erin @ Lemons, Lavender, & Laundry

May 13, 2017

(I got an error last time I tried posting a comment, so I apologize if this is a duplicate comment). I absolutely love this laundry room… so many amazing aspects: those doors (can’t wait to see how you did those!), the sink, the wallpaper! Love it all!!! And I totally hear ya on the plants… I kill ’em all, so fake is all we do in our house :)

Casey

May 13, 2017

Everything – EVERYTHING – about your laundry room is amazing. The cabinet colour, the doors – all gorgeous! Now I definitely need to give my laundry room a makeover! Great job :)

Johanna

May 14, 2017

This is such a gorgeous little space Thalita! We’re renovating our entire house right now (and it’s all massive concrete, stone, steel beams, etc.), and I am sometimes slightly jealous of the American/Australian/Canadian style of building because you can structurally knock out something like this in 6 weeks – we’ve been going for about that long, and all we’ve (almost!) finished is the garden – there are so many massive holes in our house right now haha to be fair, I’m even more impressed that you did this all yourself. We have to get professionals in for most of it, but even small things like choosing paint colors and tiles is so rewarding, I can just imagine how excited & proud you were to finish this. Great job lady!

Jane @SustainMyCraftHabit

May 14, 2017

Just stunning Thalita! You amaze me how much you can get accomplished with twin toddlers. This space would actually make me want to do laundry. Great job!

sweetparrishplace1970

May 15, 2017

This laundry room is just awesome! Love the wallpaper, the love the pink, love the sink! Love it all!

May 26, 2017

Thank you so much!

lesli devito

May 19, 2017

This room is amazing!love every single little and big thing about it! I am doing a round up next week on my blog and this will def be included!!!

Colette @ restyle it wright

May 20, 2017

it turned out absolutely gorgeous! Love the pink walls, soft green cabinets, and floral wallpaper! and you’re right that floral arrangement is AMAZING!

lesli devito

May 22, 2017

Great transformation! I have posted a round-up of my favorite Laundry room transformations and yours great room is in there! Thanks for the inspiration!

May 26, 2017

Thanks you so much for the feature!

Barb

November 16, 2017

Love your laundry basket shelves. How did you attach the shelves to the side of the washer?

Erin Ressler

December 4, 2017

Hello, I was wondering how much paint you needed to cover your cabinets? I am looking to cover 6 cabinets and I am unsure how much to order!! Any input would be appreciated!

December 4, 2017

Hi Erin, one container of Fusion goes a very long way! I used about 1/3 of mine and I painted 3 cabinets so you should be ok with just one, but if you need several coats or have more sides to cover than I did, maybe do 2? Let me know if I can help in any other way!