One Room Challenge™ Spring 2015, Week 6

Alright, this is it. No take backs, no do-overs. The office is finished and I’m about to show you what 6 weeks of work looks like (for me, anyway!).

But first…

A look back at where we started:

Yes, there were yellow walls and pink-ish dirty carpet, but not anymore!

The Learner Observer One Room Challenge Office Makeover

Now that you got a feel for what the whole room looks like, I’ll give you some details.

As you might remember from week 1, my original layouts included an L-shaped desk. That never happened because the table we had was old and too well-built to take apart the way I had envisioned, so I ended up with 2 desk areas instead – one for laptop/writing and the other strictly for creative things and crafts. I’m so not complaining!

The Learner Observer One Room Challenge Office Makeover

The other things that changed is that there is no large console table in the room. It would have been way too much furniture in there since the bookcase also ended up being moved. I opted to just have a small side table and a little space between the sitting area and the desk.

Styling the bookshelf was SUCH a struggle for me, and I’m sure it’ll change quite a bit in the coming weeks.

The Learner Observer One Room Challenge Office Makeover

I’m not sure I’m happy with it all, but there are definitely areas that I love, like…

The Learner Observer One Room Challenge Office Makeover

I’m also loving the black door. This is just a detail of it, but I honestly love the extra bit of drama we get with the dark door and the brass handles. There is also lots of drama to be had when your door handles are installed backwards. It’s ok, you can laugh – I did!

The Learner Observer One Room Challenge Office Makeover

In the craft area, all I really focused on was having the pegboard as immediate storage for things that are used a lot. I love that the desk on this side will be (hopefully) empty most of the time. You can see a reflection of our still ugly closet doors here. Don’t worry, there’s a plan in place…

The Learner Observer One Room Challenge Office Makeover

The other side has a bit more going on with the shelving and artwork. Eventually there will be an inspiration board where the garland is sitting.

The Learner Observer One Room Challenge Office Makeover

The desks both got some grey chalk paint, new hardware and marble contact paper on top. I love love love them!

The Learner Observer One Room Challenge Office Makeover

I’m also loving the mix of neutrals in here, with wood tones (floors, chair, table), greys (desks & bookshelf), and metallics – not to mention the black and white, duh! And the soft blush colour on the walls definitely acts as a soft neutral in the room also. Blush is a neutral you guys. Did you even know!?!?!

The Learner Observer One Room Challenge Office Makeover

Now the gallery wall… well that has to be one of the best things about this room. And I intend on letting it grow, so it’ll reach the ceiling and probably closer towards the desk as well.

I love the life it gives the room and that I handpicked every piece in there because it holds some sort of significance – even of that significance is just that I like pink flamingoes and would love my own champagne button in real life! (Champagne print is from The Aestate, by the way.)

The view from the hallway is SO much prettier now! (And I guess the door has to stay open since the BACKWARDS HANDLES should keep me from ever being able to close the door! I swear, I’ll fix them, but I will never replace these photos because this is seriously just too funny to me.)

Also, the light above the pink chair is so great. It’s perfect for reading at night in here now! This room has amazing natural light, but no ceiling light fixture, so I wanted something that could light up the room and be useful.

The light, the old wooden chair, the black door… these are the things I wanted to use int he room to make it a little less girly and a bit more grounded. I also think the wood floors and black door help with that. It’s not JUST a pink room.

But I do love all of the pink!

The Learner Observer One Room Challenge Office Makeover

Alright, so that’s the end. You can expect to see many small changes made to this room, which I will happily bombard you with on Instagram! Did you participate in the One Room Challenge? I’d love to see your room, if I haven’t stalked you already!

Also, huuuuuuuuge thanks to Linda from Calling it Home for so graciously hosting the One Room Challenge twice a year. She’s just the bees knees!

If you want to see what the 20 participants ended up with (and believe me, it’s all magical), go check them out. And if you want to see what the 150 or so of us linking participants have done (also some magic happening here), definitely clear up like a week or two look through it all!

Annnnnnd if you want to see the previous five weeks of work that went into this office, check my One Room Challenge page. Yep. There’s a page dedicated to these makeovers over here!

Ok now I gotta go clean up the mess that making this room so pretty has made. Seriously… just outside this door lay vacuum cleaners and power tools that have yet to be put away…Just keeping it real!

Thanks so much for being the best cheerleaders ever through this process!

• Reply Kristi

Oh Thalita! It’s SO perfect! I absolutely love the pink girly vibe with the fun pops of black with that rug and fab light! I think the bookshelf looks amazing – loving the books all grouped by colour! And that gallery wall totally steals the show! It all looks fabulous girl! You’re going to knock out a ton of creative projects in this awesome new space!

May 7, 2015 at 12:18 am

Thanks so much, Kristi!
      I figured the best way to make the books look more organized was to order them by colour. I’m so happy with it! Loving being able to use this space and being away from the kitchen table!

May 10, 2015 at 8:09 pm
  • Reply IrisNacole

I love your office transformation! It’s beautiful and functional! Congrats on all your hard work paying off!

May 7, 2015 at 12:50 am

Thank you SO much! It’s been such a fun few weeks and it’s amazing how a challenge like this can give just the right amount of push to finish a room!

May 10, 2015 at 8:09 pm
  • Reply Lish

T, you have created such a beautiful and amazing space!!!!! I love so much about this room! I think my fave might have to be the amazing blush chair!!! Also feeling super special to see a special antique key hanging on the gallery wall!!!!!! You have such a knack for putting things together, to make spaces feel posh, yet cozy, and stunningly beautiful all at the same time! While I didn’t venture on a 6-week makeover, I did do an upgrade to our bathroom and bedroom using some of the trends, themes and styling ideas I’ve learned from your blog!!!! You should feel SO incredibly proud! Thanks for sharing all of your amazing style with us!!!! Please keep blogging :-) Love you HUGE girl!!!!! Xoxoxoxo

May 7, 2015 at 2:46 am

Thanks so much, Lish! That chair… oh that chair. I drove an hour to get it and drove back home with the trunk tied down with a rope because the chair doesn’t fir in my tiny car. haha! Thanks so much for the amazing compliment! Whoa!
      I need to see these changes you’ve made! Love you LOTS!!!

May 10, 2015 at 8:11 pm
  • Reply Casey @waffling

I love it! There is a very Parisian feel in here…I wouldnt mind working in this space :)

May 7, 2015 at 7:15 am

Oh a Parisian feel… that sounds lovely! Thanks so much, Casey!

May 10, 2015 at 8:12 pm
  • Reply Kristin

love it! Also – ahem – did you say marble contact paper?!!! WHAT IS THIS THING? It looks like you had a piece of marble cut for the desktop. Am I wrong?! Enlighten me.

May 7, 2015 at 9:14 am

Ohhhhh yes. Marble contact paper is AMAZING! I got it at DeSerres. It’s literally sticky plastic that looks just like marble. The best. Ever.

May 10, 2015 at 8:13 pm
  • Reply Sabrina (@pinklilnotebook)

Can I just tell you. . .you freaking rock at creating gallery walls! I love this space. It’s so feminine yet sophisticated. You’ve got a great eye for details and it really shows! Way to go girl!!!

May 7, 2015 at 9:40 am

Ummm wow – thank you!!!! Seriously, thanks for commenting and following along over the last 6 weeks!

May 10, 2015 at 8:14 pm
  • Reply Jennifer Flores (@ramblingreno)

It’s so lovely Thalita! I love the different zones. That chair nook is fabulous – I would never leave. The room is bursting with creativity. Congratulations!

May 7, 2015 at 10:59 am

Thanks so much, Jen!!! I love to sit in that chair in the mornings. And at night. And, like, any time during the day, really! Thanks again for your lovely words!!! xo

May 10, 2015 at 8:42 pm
  • Reply Marty@A Stroll Thru Life

Awesome!!! How fun and glamorous is this. I love it all. You have created such an inviting and beautiful space. Love every detail.

May 7, 2015 at 11:10 am

Thanks so much, Marty!!!! It’s just so nice not to look at yellow walls anymore! ha!

May 10, 2015 at 8:41 pm
  • Reply Elena aka. Midsommarflicka

Gosh, it looks so beautiful and calm… A great space!
    The colors definitely speak “Tahlita” to me, so this room really reflects your style. Which is, in my opinion, a great thing. I know you will love working there :)
    And I love that you have two desks – it’s one of the things that I am looking so forward to when I’m moving at the end of the year, that I have enpugh space for two desks. It’s one of my criterias actually in the hunt. If the office is too small for two desks I won’t be moving into that home!

Hugs, Elena

May 7, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Oh my dear friend, thank you so much for your sweet words! I’ll be crossing my fingers for you that you find that perfect space for your own 2 desks very soon! xo

May 10, 2015 at 8:40 pm
  • Reply Traci Hutton

So fresh and chic…well done!!

May 7, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Thanks so much, Traci!!! Nothing like having a girly space all of your own!

May 10, 2015 at 8:39 pm
  • Reply Veronica

It’s so perfect

May 7, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Aw shucks, thank you! What more can I say?!?! xo

May 10, 2015 at 8:38 pm
  • Reply Deli Silva

OMG how , the messy room turned into a breathtaking beautiful office . I am soooo proud of you, You deserve that space to keep creating more beautiful things. I wish I had , just a little bit of your talent. Again and always I am very proud of you

May 7, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Thanks, mama!!!! You do have a LOT of talent. Where do you think I get any of mine from? :)

May 10, 2015 at 8:38 pm
  • Reply Tash @ The Dreamhouse Project

Girl you knocked this one out of the park! Seriously. So much to love in this room. I love how personal that gallery wall is, and the pops of black with the soft pick are total perfection. That light fixture…COME ON! And I can’t even with your desks…

May 7, 2015 at 2:30 pm

h my gosh your comment made me laugh! The light was $6 at Target like a year ago and I kept it specifically for this. Insane, much!?!?! Thank you SO much, Tash. I have loved being able to comment back and forth every week for 6 weeks. How awesome to be able to cheer one another on! xoxo

May 10, 2015 at 8:32 pm
  • Reply Erin @ the-organized-life

Great job in the office. I can’t believe that is marble contact paper on the desk. Crazy! Love the light too.

May 7, 2015 at 9:54 pm

Yes! The marble contact paper is easily my favourite thing. Or maybe the pink chair. Or the gallery wall. But seriously, that contact paper… ha! Thanks, Erin!

May 10, 2015 at 8:30 pm
  • Reply Anna

Great transformation! Such a cozy place to work in. I love your wall gallery!

May 8, 2015 at 8:25 am

Thank you, Anna!! It sure beats the kitchen table :)

May 10, 2015 at 8:23 pm
  • Reply lauraingallsgunn

What an amazing transformation! A true job well done. I adore the color palette you selected. It feels fresh and fun. The six weeks went by so fast. I completed our entry, living and dining areas in a new to us 30 year old house. So, cheers to us! Have a wonderful weekend.

May 8, 2015 at 9:20 am

Thank you, Laura!!! You’re so right – 6 weeks flew by! I need to see your rooms. It sounds like quite the undertaking! I can’t find you in the link party, so send me a link! :)

May 10, 2015 at 8:23 pm
  • Reply Julia at Home on 129 Acres

What a great space. It feels really calm through the pictures. You made it completely personal for you. I love the contrast of the traditional chair with the rustic light. There is a lot of pink, but it definitely doesn’t read as a “pink” room. Well done!

May 8, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Thank you, Julia! I was worried it would be too much pink with the chair, but the walls are just ever so slightly blush and I ended up loving it. Thank goodness! :)

May 10, 2015 at 8:20 pm
  • Reply Kevin | Thou Swell

What a fun office space, I love how you transformed it! That gallery wall is great!

May 8, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Thanks so much, Kevin! I already can’t wait to add to the gallery wall :)

May 10, 2015 at 8:20 pm
  • Reply cassie

love it! so feminine and modern! it’s perfectly inspiring!

May 9, 2015 at 7:08 am

Thanks so much! So nice to have a space just for me :)

May 10, 2015 at 8:19 pm
  • Reply Lesley Metcalfe (@lesleymetcalfe_)

Everything looks amazing, I don’t even know where to start commenting! I’ll start with your “marble” tables – I thought that was real marble! What brand of contact paper is that? I like the soft grey veining. I like the roll of marble contact paper that I bought but it’s a little too dark. Yours is perfect. Great bookshelf styling, love the gallery wall, love all the little details you put into this room. Well done!

May 9, 2015 at 9:30 am

Oh man I am obsessed with the marble contact paper. I got it at DeSerres, and it’s so unbelievably good! I have no clue what the brand was (sorry) but they have it on their website, too! Thanks so much for your sweet words, Lesley! It’s so nice to have a finished workspace!

May 10, 2015 at 8:19 pm
  • Reply Linda @ Calling it Home

Oh my gosh, you are so adorable. I can read how happy you are…and should be. This office space rocks!! You are the bees knees. Love the mix, love the function, love the pretty. Faboooo.

May 10, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Haha thanks so much, Linda! Thank you, times a million, for hosting this challenge. I’m already looking forward to the next one, and even have a room in mind already. Crazy, right?!?!

May 10, 2015 at 8:16 pm
  • Reply Vanessa@Decor Happy

What a fabulous transformation! Adding the hardwood and changing the paint colour were great design choices and makes everything else look that much more fab! The art wall is perfect as is the book shelf styling. I had read your marble contact paper post but completely forgot about it when I saw the desks – it looks just like the real thing. Kudos on a great job! And I also have a room picked out for the next challenge and can’t wait to get started on it!

May 11, 2015 at 12:28 am
  • Reply sherry hart

Boy you whipped this place into shape! It looks great….the combination of “blush” and the black and white is perfect! Great job!

May 11, 2015 at 7:14 am
  • Reply Christina

So pretty! Yes, the black doors are awesome. I was looking at the photo before I read the description of it and was just staring at the door knob thinking it was an optical illusion…then I read and giggled. We’ve done similar things all over our house.

May 11, 2015 at 1:16 pm
  • Reply Vel

Your room is fabulous but the gallery wall you did is just AMAZING Thalita!

May 12, 2015 at 12:52 pm
  • Reply Brynne@The Gathered Home

So pretty! I’m so loving blush pink + black right now and it looks fantastic in your office! The chair and that gold-striped side table are a gorgeous combination as well!

May 13, 2015 at 11:00 pm
  • Reply dimplesandtangles

Ca-ute! What a fabulous work space!

May 13, 2015 at 11:38 pm
  • Reply twopurplecouches

I have one word – INCREDIBLE!!!! You have a serious talent for transforming rooms. And I still cannot believe that you achieved those gorgeous marble tops with contact paper!! I love your sprawling gallery wall, and I can’t wait to see how it continues to grow. Amazing work, Thalita!! Just amazing!

May 14, 2015 at 10:43 am
  • Reply Side Table Makeover {in under 30 minutes!}

[…] today I wanted to share one of the projects from my ORC Office Makeover with you because it was one of the easiest, quickest furniture makeovers I have ever attempted, and […]

September 3, 2015 at 2:04 pm
  • Reply Debbie J

what are all the pretty printables on the gallery wall? I can’t zoom in far enough.

September 4, 2015 at 4:49 am

Hi Debbie! I’m actually posting on all of the details on the gallery wall next week including sources for all of the prints! I hope that helps… :)

September 4, 2015 at 5:14 am
  • Reply DIY Sequin Letters

[…] I’m bringing you another fun and quick project from the office makeover, and this one has to be one of my faves because, well, gold […]

September 8, 2015 at 7:00 am
  • Reply Roberta

What a great room redo! I am sharing this on Pinterest

April 22, 2016 at 2:44 pm

Thanks so much, Roberta!

May 9, 2016 at 6:53 am
  • Reply The Learner Observer - Moving on

[…] inch of the house. The bathroom is no longer yellow. My office became a perfectly subtle shade of blush pink. Our bedroom finally looked like less of a dorm room and more like a grown up room – the […]

August 25, 2016 at 7:02 am